1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Avrey to raise target prices

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gavin, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

PHOENIX —The Arizona Game and Fish Commission approved the department’s fee increase proposal for the Ben Avery Shooting Facility at its May 16 meeting. New rates for users of the Ben Avery Shooting Facility, including the archery range and clay target center, are effective July 1.

The department’s recommendation came after nearly a month-and-a-half of public input was solicited.

“We received over one-hundred emails from the public about the fee proposal. The majority of our customers were understanding about the needs of the range and supportive of the new rates,” says Jay Cook, Education Branch Chief for the department. “Shooters and sportsmen are always the first to step up and support the outdoor activities that they love.”

The need for the fee increase was due to increasing operational costs. Electricity, waste disposal, fuel and consumables are some of the biggest contributors to the rising costs. The last fee increase was implemented seven years ago on July 1, 2001.

Examples of the new fees: A day at the main shooting range or archery range will cost $7 instead of the current $5. Children 17 years and under are still free. A round of trap or skeet at the completely renovated and modernized Clay Target Center will run a dollar more at $6 compared to the current price of $5. Twenty-five targets at the sporting clays course will bump to $10 from the current rate of $8.

Located on 1,650 acres in north Phoenix, owned by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission and managed by the Department, the Ben Avery Shooting Facility is one of the largest government-operated recreational shooting complexes in the world. It averages more than 120,000 shooters per year and is home to a number of regional- and national-class competitions and other major events. The facility offers a wide array of target-shooting opportunities to the public including, handgun, rifle, archery, shotgun and much more. www.azgfd.gov/basf

Ben Avery shooters are also reminded that the range switched to summer hours on May 12. The new hours are: Wednesday and Thursday, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., then 5 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Friday, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Saturday, 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Sunday, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. The range is closed Monday and Tuesday.

Media note: Interviews, high resolution photos and/or video are available of the facility and people shooting, contact Public Information Officer Doug Burt at (623) 236-7215 or dburt@azgfd.gov. Target shooting is an American tradition. It teaches responsibility, patience, discipline, and the understanding and respect for firearms. Shooting sports and hunting are rated among the safest forms of recreation and they provide a healthy outdoor lifestyle compared to today’s electronic modern society Did you know, some 40-million people of all ages safely participate in shooting and hunting?

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

This thread begs the question, if United Sportsmen of Jefferson City, MO, offering the same disciplines charges $2.50 per round of trap...why is it that Ben Avery needs $6? Oh! Never mind. I see the problem....Ben Avery is government run. Does anybody still want government running health care?

Buz

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Buz,

Apparently you don't shoot much at privately run ranges in Arizona. But then it must be a government problem or it wouldn't fit the facts as you see them.

jim brown

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Paying to play is going up all over and its not close to over yet ... The way things are going up around here sometimes the prices change while your waiting in line to pay ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Comparing a podunk mommer popper place to Ben Avery ... heck maybe you should move to Arizona and offer to run Ben Avery, cut the state a deal that you lower the shooting fee's back to what they currently are and since you come from a podunky range in the show em all state that only charges $2.50 a round your pay will be the difference between $2.50 a round and what the current round charge is.

Yep you can bring your expertise of running a podunker to Ben Avery and you will also be pocketing massive amounts of cash as pay. Sound like a great deal for them and for you.

This is an inevitable thing to come and will be happening sooner or later at almost all clubs across our lands. With the cost of manufacturing the targets, shipping and such on the rise we all will be paying more sooner or later. Oh well it is what it is ... has anyone seen how much the cost of coffee has risen in the recent past? Geez ... I dont think I will be able to afford to get a cup of coffee before I shoot anymore now.

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I recently noticed that the price of everything is going up!

Oh gloom and doom!

Ronbo

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ronbo ... luckily enough though the stuff thats still on the dollar menu at McDonalds is still only a dollar but I bet sooner or later that also will go up in price.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I got a haircut today. New price $14.00 up from $12.00. That is a 15% increase. I wonder is gas is the cause of that increase?

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I would think that would depend on what the barber has been eating.

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Mr. Nu-be-an-az....You should NOT disparage podunk ranges/clubs. That is where trapshooting started once and before it is all over it WILL BE where it WILL start again.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ya know I would have never disparaged that podunk range if he had not disparaged Ben Avery. If ya wants to disparage another range than be prepared to have your own range disparaged ... especially if its a podunky range.

12. snorj

snorj TS Member

Did anyone bother to look up what this Club looks like or what their Hours of operation are.The club is beautiful but their sporting clays are open Wednesday at 6:00PM . I am very glad that it is run mom an pop style because we need more of that but if Ben Avery was not run by the state (not the federal gov.) We might have a shopping Mall and new houses to sell instead of a shooting range. We are real lucky to have a Facility LIke Ben Avery here for us to shoot at and enjoy all kinds of shooting sports. Just think if it were to close down where would everyone go to enjoy their shooting sport? I so not like the increase but what are you whinners doing about the gas prices and the price of food if you spent that much time on complaining to the goverment about that maybe you could make and impact. For now I am paying the increase and enjoying the fact that I have a place to shoot. All you other people that can not stand the increase stay home and write to your congress men about something that will make an impact in your life.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The club house is close to being finished from what I have been told ... They didn't want to rush the job and have to do it all over again like most other state projects so its taking a little longer than usual ... The club will be a Gem in the middle of the desert once it is completed and price increases from time to time with the economy what it is today is to be expected ... I like the fact that I can go and shoot there and stop at the "Wild Horse West" for a burger on the way back home ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Mr. Newbius, I have never been to Ben Avery and from your comments it's obvious that you have never been to United Sportsmen, which, by the way, is not my club. I do, however, shoot there occasionally since, unlike some people, I'm capable of recognizing a rip-off when I see it.

Buz

15. jim brown

Buz,

Yep you can recognize a rip-off from 1500 miles away and you clearly know that all government is inefficient and bad. I suspect that since the job of God was already taken you have been forced to take the position of General Wizard at Large and knower of all things, although you are clearly over qualified.

jim brown

16. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Buz - congratulations but what to you is a ripoff is somebody else's dream and what may be your dream is somebody else's ripoff. To each there own but I do value your opinion so I must thank you for that and I do seriously hope you value others opinions as well.

17. nipper

nipper TS Member

You didnt think anything government controlled would lower prices did you??

Bill

18. jim brown

Remember Enron, it must have been government too. Nothing like big business to really give you a deal.

jim brown

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ben Avery just put the prices where everyone else's are to keep things on the level ... I'm guessing but have to figure prices are going up all over the place if not already they will be pretty soon ... I paid $3.56 for gas yesterday and they are predicting $4.00 over the holiday ... Think fuel surcharge the next time you buy something, anything for that matter ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I shot at Ben avery every February for 19 years, unfortunately my visits were curtailed by a damaging house fire.

I started when Jack August was the Lessee, and went through all the changes up through Mcgaffees. I would criticize all of the operations that I saw in one way or another, but that's because my part of the country does it differently.

My partner from Phoenix tells me there are uniforms all over the place now, I guess the cost of starch must be raising the fees.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.