1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Avery Update

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gavin, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

I was at Ben Avery this afternoon and it looks like it is starting to come together. The electrical power service for the entire facility is in good shape as well as the grading work on the parking lot side of the trap line for the entire length of the line. The big lights are installed on just about all of the fields. The folks I spoke with said the lights should be "on" in a month or so (late April or early May). Just about the same time they hope to have the newly rennovated club house with restaurant open. The club house was gutted right down to the walls...they threw out the old toilets and even the kitchen sink! To my eye it looks like the work on the RV parking area is just getting started; rough clearing the area. The Az Game & Fish is hiring referees/pullers at $8/hr (must be 18 yrs old) for trap, skeet and sporting events. There was a registered skeet shoot in progress today looks like they were using 10 or 12 of the fields. All of the fields are trap/skeet overlays. Hopefully registered trap targets are in the near future.

Cheers

Gavin

2. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

now all they need are some people skills

4. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

In the older days like the 80's I loved shooting there. Espeially the Traps. The rest of the club area needed over haul and updates. But it was a good place to shoot. Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I lived in Scottsdale and went to the club twice. Both times it was a very unfriendly atmosphere and poorly run

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I had two friends, both very, very experienced skeet shooters, who traveled from Maryland for this shoot and pulled out after the first day. Many problems in management of the shoot, facilities, referees, etc. Its a shame because this facility should be able to host first class events, but it was run more like your local Motor Vehicle Administration (inefficient, unresponsive, and lacking in customer focus).

Cheers

Stephen

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ben Avery Clay Target Center has been taken over and is being operated By Arizona Game and Fish with in the last 6 months, the people I have met and talked to are personable, polite and responsive to the needs of their customers ... The entire club is getting a face lift and will be a premier shooting facility when its completed ... They are putting in a section of parking for RV's that will have full hookups and all new utilitites ... The trap houses are all being replaced and the skeet overlays are being totally rebuilt and replaced with block instead of wood ... I have been up there a few times since AZ Game and Fish have taken it over and other than the fact that they do not have a place for you to get out of the weather but they have put in shelters and its looking good and the people are very knowledgeable and friendly, at least the ones I talked to or had any contact with were ... There is a lot of construction going on up there so you have to be a little patient when you go there until its completed ... I look forward to doing a lot of shooting up there in the future ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. bgf

bgf Active Member

WPT,

Bill, I did not know that they were putting in a bowling alley at Ben Avery. Boy, you will have it all then...LOL.

Seriously, even with the old management, it was still run basically by AG&F. I hope it will be better now and not just a face lift deal. It is a great facility if you can keep the dang politics out of it.

Bernie

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bernie,

Ben Avery was owned by Az. Game and Fish but was reopened and operated by the Chief Corp, which was the McGaffee family ... The folks at Arizona Game and Fish did not micro manage the place and the failure was due to management not any involvement by Az.Game and Fish as the owner ... Now, Arizona Game and Fish are at the wheel and things are getting done to make it what it should of been a long time ago ... When the lease was near expiration they wanted to make some major improvments to the place and tried to manipulate Game and Fish to extend or renew the lease because of those improvments, and Game and Fish didn't bite ... Thems the facts ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Janet

Janet TS Member

Looking forward to seeing it when finished. I always loved vending there and people accommodating to me and to my partner,Craig.

Janet CJ

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Boy, Satterwhite sure ran the other way when he got in there. they covered it up good on both sides but one day he was going to run the place the next he was gone.

I wish them the best. This would have been my 20th year.

HM

12. Bob Farne

Bob Farne Member

I just returned from the Ben Avery Shooting Facility and the first ever Copper State Mid week and the Copper State Week end skeet shoot. Tuesday thru Sunday, 1100 registered skeet targets.

The field lights are all installed and working on the 14 trap fields with skeet overlays. And they seem to be wonderful.

The pullers are very inexperienced but have outstanding personalities and try to do everything they can to give good targets. Best of all, they are willing to listen to good advice. Voice releases are not used for registered skeet targets (that I know of).

Mr Tom McManus (sp) is in charge of the Clay Target Facility and seems to be a bundle of energy.
    His boss Mr. Anthony Chavez, is in charge of all Game & Fish shooting ranges in the State of Arizona, and was running the first ever registered skeet shoot at the Ben Avery. A nicer, etremely good organizer, I have never met. He is also in charge of all the new construction. In the plan is 150 full service RV campsites at the Clay Target site, (there are already existing ones at other areas) with a laundry, showers and a room for WiFi computer users. Folks, this is going to be one of the premier shooting facilities in the country with plans to expand the trap fields to approx 40 as funds are appropriated.

Nothing but admiration for the polite responses and efforts to accomodate all the 90 or so skeet shooters. I was fortunate to be in 6 different shootoffs and lost every one but did win HOA in my class.

I seem to run out of gas when shootoff time arrives since I got into my seventies.

P.S. I also shoot some trap and sporting clays so don't flame me too much for liking skeet. LOL. Bob, South of Albuquerque on an alfalfa farm.

13. Calgary Guy

Calgary Guy TS Member

Dad just got back from shooting there, He said he loved it and plenty of renovations are underway. I think he said they were spending $4,000,000-$6,000,000.
    I know he is really looking forward to going back next year

Calgary Guy

14. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

One time many years ago My wife was at station #2 and was getting ready to shoot when she looked down and saw a Tranchula crossing over her boot. She askd what she should do. Me, as I was kidding, said you have the shotgun shoot it! Then I said no! I said, leave it be and it will mosy along in which it did. From then on she didn't shoot very well throught that night. But it will be a beautiful place when it is finished compaired to what it was like before. It wasn't messy or things like that it was just run down. They were holding registered shoots then quite often as well as registered Skeet shoots. Things did work. Except for one time. We had gotten a lot of rain and some of the Trap Houses were flooding. There was only four and they were staggered throught the place not in one area they were wet but not flooded. Everyone had to start at Trap one which was always set aside for practice. Then we had to go to Trap # 3 then #5 then #8. They had to set up special electrical because there was no electric run to #8. The shoot went off without a hitche xcept it ended late because of not having access to the other trap houses. The Handycap was postponed to another date by request of the shooters, It was made up a couple weeks later. Shot the makeup Handycap on Sat. And shot 200 16's that Sunday. Lotsa people turned out for it. Rich (inPeoria,Az.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.