1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Avery CTC keeps on rolling along

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W.P.T., Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ben Avery is at it again and having a really good shoot though there was a threat of rain Weds, they had 50 Doubles shooters and 61 Handicap shooters show up and take their chances ... The weather held off and it went well aside from being a little on the damp and cold side, it made a lot of our Snow Bird friends feel all warm and at home, hopefully ... The nice thing is you don't have to shovel sunshine ...

Thurs: Doubles/ Handicap

The doubles this morning had 76 shooters and the handicap had 92 shooters for todays events which taking into consideration was a respectable turn out with clouds hanging low and it was slightly over cast early this morning ...

This shoot will no doubt take off by and over the weekend being as they are calling for clear and warm (Mid70's) by the end of the week so if you plan on shooting make plans to get there and sign up early to get a parking place ...

Dan and crew are again doing a great job of handleing the targets, score keepers, traps etc. while Paul and his crew are getting things done and events turned around in a timely fashion, they did have to set the traps for handicap from doubles so it took a little longer than usual ... Things like this happen when you have a shooter running things ... (Note) Dan and Paul are both shooters and know what to do next no matter what happens to stir things up a little bit from time to time ...

The Bunker has had shooters on it everytime I have been up at the club, the west end had a bunch of skeet shooters and the practice traps going all day besides the Sporting Clays shooters ziggin and zaggin all over the place ... I like it better everytime I go up there and not that it matters, but thats saying something ... Respectfully, WPT ... (YAC) ... Okay, Okay you all know better than that, so ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Well, Its Friday and almost time to start getting ready to head back up to Ben Avery (The Premiere Shooting Facility in the Southwest) for another day of good times, good people, smiling faces, and some trapshooting ... The weather is supposed to be clear and warm, this weekend its supposed to almost make 80 degrees so we will all have to break out the sun screen ... You know being around all of the smiling faces and happy people it kind of rubs off on you, I love it ... More to follow later ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

I will be shooting both Saturday and Sunday and I look forward to see the progress the club has made over the last few years, But why are the start times 10:00a.m. both days?

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yes WPT, it is Friday. I think I'll head to the local sports tavern and throw a few back. It is too bright to go outside today, the sun is out and with all the white stuff on the ground reflecting it back. Well it is bright. Temp is 12 degrees, but with the sun coming through the windows of the car no need for the heater to be on and you even have to drive in your shirt, no jacket or you will bake.

I might even bowl a few games at the tavern. They have Wii bowling there. I'll have to wait to shoot until night fall or hopefully tomorrow the clouds will be back and I can see the targets then.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt,

I didn't make the program, they obviously have their reasons so why not ask them while your there ..? I like the program with all of the Handicap targets (600) in it though ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Wish I was there!

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Well, another beautiful day in the Sonoran Desert at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility ... This morning in the singles they had 109 entries and everything was going along just as they should, as usual ... This afternoon 111 Handicap shooters showed to brave the sunshine and mild breezes of the Sonoran Desert ... It appeared that everyone was having a good time and the shoot went off without a hitch with the exception of a little delay in starting the handicap which was not a big deal, but was noticed ... Things like that get noticed when there is no delay usually so when one does pop up someone notices it ... The shoot appears to be getting bigger as the week goes on, wonder what the week end might bring with the temps going to almost be in the 80's ... Oh well, I guess we'll see whan it happens ... God Job to all and keep up the good work ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Saturday morning, (02-13-2010)

My Anniversary (8 years, only seems longer) so I have to get ready and scram before the War Dept wakes up ... Seriously, it is my anniversary and she has no problem with me going to shoot at the club today, have to see what tonight brings ... Who would of thunk it would of lasted this long ..?

Its supposed to be a beautiful day with warm temps and gentle breezes, I have faith the targets will be set well and between Dan and Paul and their respective crews they will get the thing done in style and smoothly ... The more I go there the more I like it, seems like home but with shooters running all over the place ...

Yesterday they had the traps going, skeet practice, sporting clays and of course the Bunker all going at the same time, no damn wonder I like this place ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Shoot well Bill, I meant to wish you a happy anniversary yesterday. Yes, it is a great club, took my friend John over through the ranges on the way out. There is some large Black Powder shoot going on and a lot of people camped out primitive style, tents, tee-pees, etc. I think I'll stick to trap shooting.LOL Each to his own, great facility. Shoot often while we can, Bob

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bob,

It was nice getting to meet you face to face, hope you had a good time at the club which as you can see is coming along nicely ... I have been struggling with my shooting and running out of excuses ... I called Kiner a couple of days ago and just said "Help" when he answered the phone ... He made a few suggestions for me to work on and I started them yesterday (Saturday) and I did shoot better to be honest with you, but didn't set the world on fire ... That being said there is a lot of room for improvment ... I guess I will be watching Kiners DVD several more times until it start to sink in ...

Again, nice to meet you and hopes for all the best to you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Saturday started off with a bang up at the Ben Avery CTC, actually several bangs and another great day of shooting got started ... They had 126 enties in the singles event and 118 in the handicap event so this shoot is getting progressively better as the week goes on and the weather gets warmer ... The Management, staff and all involved with the running of the shoot are doing a really good job keeping things humming along ... The club had several other shooting venues going on while the ATA shoot was being held and you would of never known that they didn't give us their full attention ... If there is such a thing as flawlessly these people have good hold on it and it really is going well ... I can only see the shoots getting bigger and better as time goes on and the club gets expanded, which has been the plan all along since AZ Game and Fish took control of the club again ... I, for one am sorry to see this week come to an end because I have totally enjoyed being at the club this week and meeting and seeing so many old friends and of course breaking some clays ... The absolute best thing about this is this club is 14 miles from my driveway to their parking lot, I love it ... Good job people keep up the good work ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Well, Sunday morning and the desert winds were blowing so they briefly delayed the start of the program to try to make it a better shoot ... The wind was persistant and 71 shooters tried their luck against it in the first event of the day ... After a short delay, again trying to give the wind a chance to cease they got the second half of the program running and 81 shooter figured they would give it a whirl, wind and all ... The over all scores were nothing to write home about but it appeared that a lot of people were having fun any way ... The Management and Staff who were involved with the running of this shoot got a lot of compliments from a bunch of shooters for pulling it all together and pulling it off to end up having a great turn out and a lot of peoples support because they deserve it ... Though the numbers were down today the over numbers were very good ... AZ Game and Fish are doing a great job in reviving this club and working hard to get the number back up where they belong ... Paul from PDC and his crew did an excelant job as usual in getting their end of it running smoothly also ... GOOD JOB ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

I shot both Saturday and Sunday, what great weather for shooting. What a change a few years has made, we had a great time and will be back in the near future.

14. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

WPT
    I will be at Ben Avery for the month of march,,,would like to meet you ,mx8dave ,, space 19

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Dave,

I will be there, look for a tall guy who's always smiling ... Ask anybody and they will point me out to you, just walk up and say Hello ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ben avery ctc