1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Avery Clay Target Center

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

I'm getting ready to visit Phoenix Arizona on business and i'm thinking about hitting the range. Has anyone shot at Ben Avery?

I'm still undecided about bringing my gun, although most guns dont fit worth a darn.

Tim

2. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

shot there 3yrs ago.great place to shoot.they had 1187 rem's for rental.try the bunker.it was a blast.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If it shoots..... you can shoot it there. Getting ready to expand the trap shooting line. I heard an addition of 16 more trap fields. Please confirm. Nice facility on the way to becoming a great trap/skeet/sporting/bunker shooting venue.

4. Barry C. Roach

BTW. Open 7 days a week. They close at 3pm on Sat. & Sun. I don't know how long they're open on the other days but it's later.

5. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

BATC is a Good Facility as stated above You can shoot any Weapon You want there. The Clay Target Center is expanding, adding Traps, and a new Clubhouse the hours and everything You need to know is at the link. Come on out You will enjoy the Facility.

http://www.azgfd.gov/ctc2/index.html

Mark

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Ben Avery is Disneyland for shooters, you name it, you can do it there. Great people and a great place to shoot.

Hal

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Don't rule out visiting us at Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa.

http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com/

Depending on when you're in town, there are a variety of our weekly programs you can shoot. Check the website for our schedule.

If you don't want to bring a gun, drop me a line ahead of time and I can meet you with a loaner Beretta.

We have Ben Avery beat hands down when it comes to beautiful scenery and friendly members!

8. Barry C. Roach

SevenM3. Tell us what you have at RS, please.

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Tim, You can rent a decent Beretta at Ben Avery for whatever you want to shoot. Their fee's for every venue were very reasonable last spring, the last time I was there. Every state should have a Ben Avery :) Enjoy the Bunker.

10. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Let's say you show up in the middle of the week at 11am. How many people will there be there to shoot with? I don't like shooting squads with only two or three people all that much.
    Mark T.

11. tcouch

tcouch Member

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm hoping that i'm able to shoot at both Ben Avery and Rio Salado.

I've decided not to bring my shotgun, too much of a hassle for the amount of time I'm there.

Tim

12. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Barry,

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays from 7am to 4pm we shoot 16 yd, HDCP, and Doubles Trap.

Tuesday evenings from 7pm to 9m we shoot "Pieces"...a buddy backup game.

Thursday evening from 5pm-9pm and Weekends form 7am to Noon we shoot a most excellent Five Stand Layout.

Our 12 station Sporting Clays course is open every day at 7am. It is the most beautiful desert course in all the southwest, IMO. We use card reader stations and rarely is a broken bird thrown. It is one of the best maintained courses in the county. Most stations offer both a "Mild" or "Spicy" presentation to appeal to both recreational shooters and Master Class alike. If you shoot both presentations at each peg, the course is actually 20 or so stations long Sometimes the Mild target aren't so mild though...

We host a registered NSCA shoot once per quarter, and will set a FITASC course a couple times a year.

We also do themed 50-50-50 Trap shoots about once a month with Lewis purse options available to shooters.

We shoot an SCTP Trap program with over 60 kids every other Friday evening. We have a recently dedicated shotgun clubhouse and take advantage of numerous shade structures throughout the property. We also have an activity center for Hunter Education, etc., and are staffed by full & part time employees along with a dedicated group of volunteer members.

We also have a large main range for rifle and pistol shooters, along with dedicated small bore, black powder, high power, and numerous pistol bays. We host large national pistol and sub-gun competitions and this is Rob Leatham's home range. We have exceptional training opportunities for both members and non-members alike.

Our membership is over 5,000 strong and membership rates are unfathomably low...it is thee absolute best deal dollar for dollar that you will ever find. Member target prices are the most economical in the region and yet *nothing* is sacrificed. We throw a couple million targets a year.

Our only drawback is we've run out of room to expand. While we'd love to add skeet and additional trap fields, right now we don't have the geography to do so and the current layout would present shot fall issues onto our other ranges.

Full disclosure - I'm one of the SCTP Coaches and heir apparent to the Executive Officer position on the Board of Directors pending the January election.

When I relocated here from SE Michigan about a year and a half ago, proximity to this club played a big part in selecting our new home. As you may know, SE Michigan is home to many great shotgun clubs and I wanted to ensure that my shooting opportunities were not diminished in trade for ridding myself of Michigan weather and politics. It was one of the best 'trades' I've ever made, although I do miss shooting leagues and killing beers with my good friend Tron and other Michigan club buddies.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

SevenMaryThree,

You are a hell of a salesman too. Sounds awesome. I see why you moved where you moved. Wish I was in a position to relocate right now. Unfortunately the family farm is here.

14. Bob Hawkes

7Mary3, I was assuming I might see you at Rio Salado as it is more convenient to me than Ben Avery so I support both and yes a member there also. Now that you have diclosed having shared brews with the Tronster I've become more wary and concerned. I hope he didn't get you leaning "Lil Hillary's" way also.

15. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Bob,

It's all a ruse. Kitty is the Liberal. Tron just has this inescapable gravitation to post-menopausal breasts. Hell, he even thinks Mr. Janet Napolitano is smokin' hot.

janet-napolitano-pat_zps50e15e3e.jpg

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Az. Fish and Game took back control of Avery and there have been many improvements since that happened ... Most of the problems that once existed have been attended to ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If they keep letting the cashier make the calls on State Shoots they won't need any more trap fields than what they already have ... You can shoot just about anything you want at one place or another on the facilty, its not only trap, skeet, sporting, or bunker ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

BOB H,

What is wrong with every other year Tucson Phoenix state shoot schedule?

The state shoots at Red Mountain, had anything I saw of BA beet hands down!

Tucson with 200+ RV spots many with full concrete aprons and a line with 50 traps can handle everything the state shoot brings really well!

Al Lingham

19. Bob Hawkes

Sorry Al, I don't have clue what you're referring to. I don't think I have ever commented on your state shoot. I do hope to enjoy it, if I am out there, no matter where its held. It just takes me 2 hours to Tucson rather than 1 hour to Ben Avery. Red Mountain was a nice club also, but the one I miss the most is Litchfield Park. Bob

20. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Bob,

I miss read your post,

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ben avery clay target center
ben avery trap shooting meets
ben avery trap shooting schedule for jan

claytargetcardreader