1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Avery another great shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W.P.T., Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The folks at Ben Avery Clay Target Center are at it again, hosting a great shoot this week with a lot of happy shooters all over the place ... The Olympic Teams are up there breaking lot of clay on the newly installed and fully operational International Bunker, The Skeet Shooting Team is up there, sporting clays shooters abound and a registered ATA trap shoot all going on all at one time, besides some rapid fire stuff over at the rifles ranges ... I believe they had approx 115 ATA shooters paying daily fees and supporting the ATA today and its looks like a full house for the rest of the week ... Dan and crew have the trapline running smooth as Kentucky Bourbon, while Paul and company are keeping the records and money straight ... If you have not shot this club you really are missing a great shooting experience with some people who sincerely care about their customers and it shows ... The premiere shooting facility in the State of Arizona and getting better everyday in everyway ... Good Job people, keep up the good work ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shooters in Arizona are lucky to have this range.. Never would see this in Comifornia. Dave

3. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

WPT, You appear on this site as an expert on trap facilities and trap operations, why couldn't they complete all 3 events on a perfect, sunny & warm day yesterday at this 1st class facility? In fact I don't think they even started the doubles event. Glenn

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Just talked to friend of mine that winters near Ben Avery. He said that the club has made great improvements.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Glenn,

I am not an expert on trap clubs or facilitys but have a pretty good head for business and customer relations based on past practices and my business's that I operated besides being dedicated to the job I held as a Fire Fighter/Paramedic ...

I was talking to the people in charge up there yesterday and the big concern was that at 9:15 AM they had about 15 people signed up and they kept on coming as the day went on, and the management wanted to accommidate everyone so they kept on signing people up as the events were in progress ... This is what caused the problem because time kept marching on and more and more shooters showed up to shoot ... The doubles event was last on the schedule and there was concern that time was an issue because of the amount shooters who signed up late for the other events which was the cause for the delay ... They were trying to figure a way to open more traps but being as it was not preplanned to add additional banks they did not have people available to do so ... I will bet that don't happen again if they make a cut off time for signing up and adhere to it like some other clubs have done in the past ... I will not make an excuse for them, it was a glitch but they are in a learning process and didn't know how many shooters to expect and once they had as many as they had it was to late to do anything about it ... Most shoots are a judgement call, guesstimate if you will when it comes to amount of traps and number of people to have to run it and they obviously ran short of people and long on time ... I have faith that you won't see that happen again now that they are getting a handle on how many shooter to expect and it'll just keep on getting better ... We will all see what happens at the next shoot and what they do to correct this problem, I'm sure they will be better prepared ... By the way they are shooting the doubles this AM so the event was not cancelled, it was delayed ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

P.S. I was gone by then so I do not know if they started the doubles event or not ... If I would of been there I would off offered to pull so they could open another set of traps but its to late for that now ... Yes, it is a first class facility no question about it ...

6. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

I am on the east coast, is there any events going on Sat or Sun? My father lives out there and I would like to have him see an ATA comp. Maybe then he would understand my sickness about shooting every weekend!

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Phil, Go to AZ trapshooting and you can get their schedules. Not many clubs in AZ, but they are very active. Ben Avery not only has the CTC but a large variety of pistol/rifle ranges. Incredible complex. Good luck, Bob

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had to stop back at the club Saturday to pick up my gun and the place was full of happy shooters all over the place ... They opened more traps so they could shoot the doubles from the day before and accommidate the additional shooters ... They had expected 60 to 70 shooters on Friday and had 115 plus so that was part of the cause for not getting the doubles in Friday, that has been cleared up and the place is running nice and smooth ... The International Bunker had a line of shooters waiting, west end was loaded with Skeet shooters, the Sport Clays shooters were wandering around aimlessly all over the place and they had 8 or 10 program traps going plus the practice traps to make sure they didn't run into anymore problems ... I got to see a lot of people I have not seen in a while, was a fun time and I didn't even shoot the singles on Saturday because I seldom do any way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I got a message from one of my Buddy's who was there all week, this is an up date on the doubles from Friday that got acarried over to Saturday:

The doubles were postponed until 9:00 this morning 60 shooters shot the doubles.

The 200 singles championship was shot over 10 banks and had 111 entry's

Shootoffs for the doubles and singles were finished by 5:00 today

Extra targets were loaded into the houses last night. From now on the shut off time for entry's for the first event will close at 10:30 AM to prevent this from happening in the future unless a act of god would delay the posted starting time for the event.

Extra help was brought in to open more banks and will be used tomorrow as well for the two handicaps.

The weather was good and the events went without a glitch.

WPT ... (YAC) ... All the news, all the time ...

10. JJM

JJM Member

Sunday shoot went fine, 90 Shooters in the first event,
    98 shooters in the second. Joe Roach UT had with a 97 won the second event.
    Shoot went off without a hitch, Paul did a fine job.
    Started 5 squads at a time.
    Joe M

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Glenn,

Well, its looks like they worked the kinks out without my "Expert" help, God Bless them people up there ... How did you shoot by the way, hope you had a good time and enjoyed yourself even though it must of ruined your whole day ...

Wait a minute your not even down here and have not shot a target at Ben Avery in all of 2009, or 2010 as of 01-31-2010, according to the ATA web site ... Why you ... Stay tuned, more good news to follow ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

WPT ... (YBAC) ...

13. white rattler

white rattler Member

Tell it like it is Big Bill. Trevor Dawe.

14. oneidcharlie

oneidcharlie Member

WPT, You must have been at a differant shoot then the one on Friday at Ben Avery that I was at. The one I was at was not run very well with all the time wasted with the scorer having to load the traps they were working on. We had to wait on both banks for traps to be loaded which wasted 5 minutes on each bank, multiply that times 20 squads and it adds up to quite alot of wasted time. Go Sparta Charlie

15. Bob Hawkes

Ouch! Barry and Trevor are tough. Bill, I did get over for a couple of quick practice rounds a couple of weeks ago. Paid cash, there'll be no record of it.LOL. I was extremely impressed with the operation and had a good conversation started with the manager for a couple of minutes when all of a sudden he was flooded with people through the door, where's my trailer spot?, I want to shoot, put a $100 on this card, you know the drill. I gave him a quick "Thanks,see ya" and I was gone. It's a full hour from the house to the club, well worth it. I'll be back in a couple of weeks and hope to get there again. Need to work on the conversion to two eyes, you can see the target much better there than back here. Shoot often while we can, Bob (YMBAC)

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Didn't mean it pejoratively. More in a humorous tone.

17. Bob Hawkes

Barry been talking to Pat?? or did you get that from O'Reilly? LOL. Mine was in good humor also, at least intended that way. All in good fun at a great site. Thank you David, good night, Bob (YMC)

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

oneidcharlie,

I guess I tried to cover the problems that they ran into but forgot to mention and include that one also ... Its was not one thing, it was a combination of several that compounded the initial problem ... The problems have been identified and rectified, more diligence will be forthcoming in the future, and I'll give ODDs on it ... The people at Ben Avery one and all, really and truly want to put on a great show and it shows ... I guess they are not perfect like the rest of us (You(oneidcharlie) and me) though, but they are sure trying to be (damn,I hope not) ... I sincerely hope you were treated well and had a good time any way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

PS: I was not aware of the fact that they reload the traps after every squad though, what do you think taller trap houses ..?

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bill... If Ben Avery is using Pat Traps, and the turret can be filled, you should easily get 3 full squads through for singles and handicap before having to reload the trap. Double should make it through 2 squads.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Dan,(Trap2)

They were not reloading after 1 squad, they apparently were loading when oneidcharlies squad was taking the field which you might want to call bad timing or the luck of the draw on someones part, but the traps have to be loaded and they didn't have enough loaders but that also has been taken care of ... I got lucky and didn't have to wait for anyone to load a trap all day on the traps I was on ... Must be them Magic Rocks again ... Later, WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.