Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BELT BUCKLES

4K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  wadshot 
#1 ·
We are haveing a two day registerd shoot here in S.E.Michigan and we want to give away buckles as trophys. I was wondering you would you use to get them at a real reasonable price. This is our first real registers shoot and im not sure how good the turn out will be. I do not want to bankrupt our club for these buckles and then not make enuff money to cover thier cost. any suggestions would be very helpful. Curt DuVall Brest Bay S.C.

#8 ·
Thank you everyone, our shoot is June 2nd ( 200 singles ) and June 3rd ( 100 hd and 100 dbls ) it will be the first annual Lake Erie Classic. Im working on some added money and we are going to put together some fine eating, I hope some of you can make it!! Curt

#9 ·
john,
i am glad you got a good one maybe that Montana weather is not as hard on recycled pepsi cans as the fl weather is. And again you might have got one that had only been recycled once. I think we here in fl get those that pepsi recycles 3 or 4 times then of course theres not much left.....and thats what we get NOT MUCH

BOB MEYERS

#15 ·
Only problem with Tilden is that they mostly use that German Silver - which is nothing more than a hunk of copper, nickel and zinc - it has NO silver in it. My main complaint with cheap German Silver buckles is that they do not wear well - just not the same as silver.

Don't get me wrong - Tilden makes absolutely fabulous buckles - as long as they stay with Sterling Silver. However, Bill Mains get my vote. His work is outstanding.

TD Seattle

#19 ·
john
Isee why you have not had any green............ you have yours in a air tight box and only look at it every 2 and 1/2 years and i guess that would work............BUT dont try using it or your done.... some of that german silver will start showing and i guess what can one expect for 3 bucks....keep that box closed

bob meyers

#21 ·
Curt,

No no jealousy here i am not in the business..however if you shoot well enough to win something class or champion one would expect to something thats not total junk, thats what i am talking about.......just the facts, I have several if those buckles and i am sorry to say they are junk.....maybe just maybe John got a good one or he does not use it...anyways thats what i think. and i guess i can still do that.

thank you

BOB. MEYERS

#22 ·
Bob,

I've worn it some, don't even know where the box is anymore? most of the time it sits in it's place of honor in the corner of my gun cabinet in the living room. Being an "Old Cowboy", I've got plenty of trophy buckles to wear and compare it to and seen plenty more (done a little roping and rodeoing when I was younger), Silver trophy buckles are just part of the "uniform" with cowboys. I'll say THIS;

The Tilden buckle isn't quite up to the obvious quality of something from Montana Silversmiths, or Gary Gist or the like but then-----these ones start at prob'ly $150 or so and go up------to maybe $1000 each. Rodeo is getting five to ten or fifteen dollars apiece from a grandstand full of paying spectators to the performance to help with the award fund and they're giving a buckle to the event winner of each of maybe seven events, plus all-around that's 8 buckles for the whole multi- day show.

Did you ever count the number of awards (trophy buckles or whatever) given out at a large shoot like the state shoot?? Let's see? Event winner, runner-up, AA, A, B, C, D classes or 19-21, 22-24, 25-27 yardage group, Jr, sub-Jr, Vet, senior-Vet, Ladies, HOA------shall I continue?? And that's every day for prob'ly five days. If you think you should win a trophy for "C" class in the "Joe Blow Doubles" on day two of the state shoot?-------I agree, you should! So should everybody else that won something of note at the state shoot, all 125 of them! But don't expect a $500 buckle.

Personally, I think Tilden makes some damn nice engraved trophy buckles in what I'd guess is a price range that's feasable for a committee that's looking to award something nice to fifteen to twenty five "winners" per day in a sport that's totally self financed for the most part.

You want a big shiny enuf buckle to dazzle the rodeo queen from the far side of the area??--------better learn to ride bulls

John C. Saubak

#23 ·
PS----If you have some silver buckles that turn green, I suggest you get some silver polish and polish them, they must be genuine silver & the "green" is tarnish. I have a number of "German Silver" trophy buckles, they never turn green 'cause there's no silver to tarnish.

John C. Saubak

#24 ·
john,

Thanks for you opinion you have yours i have mine..they are just not the same. you think one thing. I think the other.and thats ok.....BUT there more to it than that we pay for the good stuff and get the junk..........at least thats what I think.and i still can do that (think what I want) again thanks for your thoughts on the matter and go look at those great buckles once in a while. you will have to ride a damm small horse to get one of these for winning something.

Bob. Meyers

#25 ·
Fellas iI appreciate all the info. I need some cheaper buckles, this is our first registerd shoot and im going up agianst our zone 5 shoot, so i dont want to kill our budget. Just the same anyone who is nice enough to come and shoot and support our club I want to make sure they get some kind of buckle, one with the shoot name on it so they will come back next year as we want to make this an annual event with some sponsers donating some added money. Curt DuVall, Brest Bay S.C.

#26 ·
Curt....

For the money, quality and eye appeal, the Tilden buckles are a very good value and will be appreciated by the winners. I have been the "Trophy Committee" for numerous years for our state shoot and as of this writing I have not received one complaint about the Tilden buckles.

Personally I have won quite a few buckles over the years and have yet to have any of them turn green....

Curt - Delaware

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.