1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bells & Whistles on todays shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Most of todays Trapguns have numerous adjustable features, POI,trigger pull,length of pull, recoil devices,comb adj;choke tubes,along with hard shot,plastic wads,pro clinics etc. Have all these adjustments,gimmicks cluttered our minds? Have they helped or hindered the average shooter? (Most younger shooters won't know what I am referring to.) After all,there were a lot of very good scores shot before all of these so called improvements.Clyde

2. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I think you have a very good point. If the gun fits, point and shoot! It's that simple. All the new stuff does help you get proper fit, if you know how to adjust everything. I feel most shooters spend way to much time trying to zero a shotgun in, it's a shotgun not a rifle. Make it shoot where you are looking, keep your head down and break them all.

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Yes. All of these guns have many adjustments. I think the average shooter, on their own, would have a hard time figuring out the right combination to shoot correctly. Dave T.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

My MX-15 works great and I have gotten used to the adjustments and left them alone. Then, last night, thinking I would have to be shooting league in the rain, I got a long-ignored/unused 870 out of the safe and used the 30" 'MOD TRAP' barrel on it, cut checkering and monte carlo stock. Surprisingly, broke a 24/25 at 16s and 22/25 from handicap 23 yd. line all while bundled up in rain gear, with wind and mid-30s temp. I may be going "back to pumps." Regards, Ed

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Too many adjustments will ruin you. They do help you set your gun up to fit you, but very few actually know how to properly adjust them. You have to understand not only the adjustment, but how it interacts with all the other adjustments.

I used to think an adjustable rib would be great. Now that I have one, I wish it were fixed. So, I never move it.

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Those adjustable items hurt your shooting more than help, in my opinion. If they are present, you will change them. If you shoot a "stock gun" long, and often enough, you will shoot it well. Or, adjust it to shoot the way you like and, and Superglue everything in place. For some reason we as trapshooters tend to blame misses on the gun, shells, weather, adjusments, etc. It is our minds that need to be blamed. Concentrate, follow through the target, and keep the cheek on the gun. If you miss, you did not do all three of these things. It is as simple as that. Do not over-anaylize. Jon

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I believe that if you know how to make proper adjustments on guns with the so called bells and whistles on them, you can have an advantage. On the other hand, if you think you know how to use these adjustments, but in reality don't know how, you are hurting your shooting. If you know how to adjust them to your advantaged, and once you set them, and not be tempted to readjust them every time you shoot poorly, you will also have an advantage.

Here's a short story:
    Years ago when the BT99 plus first came out it came out with a bunch of new features that most trap guns did not have at that time. I was shooting the Wisconsin state shoot and a guy on my squad received his new BT99 plus the night before. He brought the new gun out to the club and said the gun fit perfect the way it came from the factory.

He decides to shoot a 25 yd practice round and smoked 25 straight the very first time he shot the gun. That was very impressive shooting. So we are both on the same handicap squad shooting at 25 yards and he smoked 24 of them. We got back to the bench and he is messing around with the adjustable stock and rib. I told him you just broke a 24, why are you messing with it? He said he missed that one target because the gun shot to low. He goes out for the next 25 and broke a 21. Every trap he tried to make adjustments and his remaining scores were 18, 14.

Now he paid $1,300.00 for this new gun and the very next week Saturday he's out shooting practice with it. He could not get the gun to shoot like it did when he just got the gun. He sold the gun that day for $800.00. End of story.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Steve,

You pretty much just proved what I had said. It is your mine that gets you the most in trouble. Once his confidence, and concentration from the new gun was gone. He began to adjust. He adjusted his mind more than the gun and that was the end. Straight down the hill. This sport to me is 95% mental, and 5% physical. It may even be more mental. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.