1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Bells Palsy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Pa), May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Active Member

Has anyone heard of it? I found out about it last Friday wound up in the hospital, thought I had a stroke. It's an infliction that attacks the nerves that run from the brain to the facial muscles. The nerves swell and loose control of the facial muscles. It gives the appearance of a person with a stroke. Can't drink without a straw or I slobber down the left side of my face. Can't take a good bite out of a sandwich without biting my lip. Can't close the eye all the way and it keeps on watering.
    The good news i'm still looking at the grass and not the roots. Havn't tried to go shoot as too much watering of the eye. Doc says normally staye 3 or 4 weeks but could last 6 to 12 months. Hope mine is gone in the 3 weeks. All is good i'm not dead. By the way it's a virus thing. Mike.
  2. 221

221 Active Member

And sometimes it's permanent. I have a friend with it.
  3. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

I got it when I was 30(64 now). Mine's permanent. Nowadays they treat it with antibiotics and steroids..mine was: "you got Bells Palsy, sorry 'bout that, pay on your way out". Beside the things you mentioned, I lost my sense of taste for about 6 months. Most everything came back, although when I'm tired, both my left eye and the left side of my mouth droop. I'm left-handed, BTW, so it affected my shooting, and not in a good way. I hope it's gone for you in less than 6 mos- hang in there, amigo it will get better.

Larry
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

When I worked shipping and receiving, the regular UPS driver had the unfortunate luck to get it. His whole left side of his faced sagged for about 7 months. After that he slowly started getting feeling back and his facial muscle control. 10+ years later now he still has some numbness. He took nerve meds but I do not know which kind. He was under the care of a Neurologist. Good luck Bulge. You have the right attitude.
  5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Active Member

Both my father and a friend have had it. They used to call it the tuckers stroke around here. People who drive for a living with their windows down are apparently prone to it.

My Dad ran a construction business and was constantly driving from job site to job site. My friend was an over-the-road driver for CF.

Both were quickly treated with antibiotics and and have recovered well. I hope you recover as well.

Kip
  6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Mike, i worked with a guy that had it, seems most of the time it lasts 4-6 weeks. Wish you the best. Joe
  7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Mike,sorry to hear about your affliction.

Hope you recover ASAP.
  8. porky

porky TS Member

Mike, I sent you a PM.
  9. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Active Member

My biggest gripe is it's the left side of the face and I shoot lefty. Can't see very well out of the left eye because it is always watering. I'll get over it. One of lifes inconvienences thats all. Mike.
  10. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

PM from me also.....It's been 5 months since I made the same hospital trip.

Len in PHoenix
  11. waverider

waverider Member

I had it twice. Once on either side of the face.

Last one was on the right side of my face. I continued shooting by dropping my comb and just had the comb just touch my face. If I locked into the comb the tears in my eye would blur my vision.

In my case I occasionally get cold sores in my mouth. The Doc suspected that that was the virus that caused mine. It followed the nerve back and I got a cold sore were my facial nerve came out of spine, pinching the nerve and causing the paralysis. For me left side just about 100% recovery, right side I would say 99%. Occasionally spit water when I rinse my mouth. If the virus kills the nerve, the paralysis will be permanent.

L-Lysine helps preventing the cold sores so I take it regularly.

Jason
  12. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Daughter had it three times and she is only 14. Lots of testing and lots of trips to Childrens in Milwaukee. Threated with some kind of antivirus, didn't help much we don't feel. Hope it goes away quickly.

Mike
  13. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

My mother had it and it lasted about 1 month. Cleared up completely.
    Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri
  14. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

My dad had the same thing. For the most part its better but 15 years later he still has an eye that tears all the time.
  15. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

Mike I had it about 8 yrs ago they gave me some steroids and it lasted for about 3 weeks or so, hope yours is short lived

The funny part about it was my wife and I had never heard of it, but after I got it, it seemed like every person I talked to about it knew somebody who had had it
  16. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Mike,
    My son had it about 10 years ago. He recovered about 95%. As mentioned above, If he gets real tired you can still see it in his face and corner of his eyes. Freaked him out as I am sure you are too. Don't worry, in most cases it is less than 6 months,and you are good as new. He can still break 100 when he wants to beat his old man.

Primedust
  17. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Sorry to hear of your affliction. I had the same thing about 24 years ago. Lived in Minnesota and was going to Wyoming to see our son and do a little prarie dog shooting. Mostly dog shootin. Like you say things go numb and you feel like you are slobbering a lot and your eye feels like a river running. Hell of a time shooting, wipe the eye, take a shot, wipe the eye, take a shot all day long. Still it was better than a day at work.

Bock up and get well.
  18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Just a FYI..there is a special electrical nerve stimulation therapy that works 75% of the time or better...its a slow process but must be started as the drugs are clearing up the virus..get a good neurologist with Maxilo-facial surgery background
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.