1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Being Gun club officer affect shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Started shooting year and a half ago. I soaked up everything I could possibly hear and see. Learned trap set up, fill the house, doubles set up scoreing and anything else I could. Showed up early for set up(mainly to shoot early by myself)and I shot my first 25s that way just my self and score keeper and stay till time for teardown as well.

Last club election I was elected to a club office,mainly because I was there all the time. I am far from the best shooter in the club!! But in mean time I guess I just got stuck in the middle and now I keep score fill house work the desk what ever needed. By doing this tho I am lucky to squeeze in a round of shooting and feel rushed to hurry to get back to do whatever around the club. I understand I joined a club to participate, but what about the other 20-30 that show up shoot and leave? Now I think I have lost the urge to shoot anymore, I no longer look forward to practice or league night like I used to.

I have even entertained going to another club to shoot their league, and pass on my own clubs league, just so I can shoot have fun pack my stuff up and go when I want.

I guess I turned a hobby that I used to think about all day , load my butt off to make sure I had shells, 4 trap guns in the year and a half out of pure excitement, into a job and took the fun out?

Should I just show up to work the club and pass on shooting till my term is up? Save my money as there is no discount for working it?

Anyone else delt with this problem?

Jerry

2. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Welcome to the world of being a vollenteer, the most thankless job at any gun club, been on our board for 4 years and hopelly many more, we have close to 1300 members and only about 6 to 7 members that are willing to help out through out the whole season of leagues or even club maintence, in the end it is all worth it knowing that you are helping to keep your gun club open,
    Chuck

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

To solve your problem you have to assign some of your tasks to other club members., It is not required that you do all the work. The work should be shared by all club members. If they do not like to work then use club funds to hire someone. HMB

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am a club President and I certainly know exactly what you mean. One term will be enough for me

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i went to a neighboring gun club last nite to shoot league-- 6 teams shooting of which all were members-- and i'm loading the traps-WHY and i'm not a member!!!-- we were to bring our own score keeper ,but didnt!!--i had to ask one of the board members if he cud score--ooooh NO, he had to shoot!!!--- jerry, do yourself a favor and be quiet ( grin & bear it)--or the nice guy that you are, will be labeled an A_____S H___e!!!---- i know exactly how you feel--HAPPY SHOOTING

6. Lyle

Lyle Member

I used to love sports and attending them. I coached varsity basketball for 20 seasons (stay with me here)........Then I became an athletic director and the only part of the event I was involved in was making sure everything went smoothly. Refs were hired, game workers, police, concessions ect. ect.
    Anyway..........I ceased having the desire to attend these events!

Shooting for me is the same. I was on a board once, briefly, and it reminded me so much of my AD job that I got off that board so I would still enjoy shooting. I am not opposed to picking up hulls and helping clean up after league night, but in no way do I want to run the place because I want to continue to enjoy it. I also appreciate those who ARE willing to run things so I can enjoy my limited free time.

Lyle

7. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

It is no secret that 5% of the membership makes it possible for 95% to shoot and go home. I offer my help when and where I can. If I find myself wanting to do a little shooting I let that be known. I do stay away from the board or commitees. I have been asked several times and I always decline in my opinion that it what ruins many volunteer members. Stay off the board and off the radar, pay your dues and help out when it is needed most. Don't spread yourself too thin or you will get burned! All the best.

J.F.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Been there, done that, got the sore back now.

Yes your scores will suffer! You have to squeeze in some time to shoot, because you get a constant stream of questions, settle arguments, smooth over ruffled feathers, etc.

5% will do all the work, 50% will always have something to bitch about, 10% will appreciate what you do, and the rest are there to shoot, then go home.

It took me 10 years to say screw it, I have done my share, now I am too old and crotchety.

9. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Oh Ya, I was a club President for a few years. Never could concentrate on shooting while I was there. The whole deal turned into a second job for me and ruined most of the fun. Used to go to another club to shoot and practice and that club is now my main club. Surprised even myself at what a thankless job holding the office was. I will not do it again.

Chris

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I tried to shoot a few time at my Club's Registered events. Didn't do well because I had my mind on every other field other than the one I was shooting on.

Once I was shooting and in the middle of the round when another shooter stopped me just when it was my turn to shoot to gripe at me because one of the kids forgot to load field 2. I was only down one in the first 50 and had run the next 15 or 16 straight when he stopped me. Dropped 3 out of the next 9 or 10. Finished with a 95. That is only one story.....I have others.

Yes, I know all about trying to run a shoot and be a shooter at the same time.

S#*ks.... don't it?

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

As an former officer in a club, I went to the mens room, and as I am standing there holding myself, a member followed me in and stood there complaining while I was leaving a whiz. Felt like turning and pissing on him. Bulge.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jerry,

I don't think a person can actually work a shoot and also participate to thier full skill level as a shooter. (At least I haven't figured it out)

There have been many really great shoots that my club has held that I didn't shoot in because I was committed to helping the club. I'm not whining about this though because I do get to shoot quite a bit just not much registered. In helping my club I am also helping to ensure that my club will remain solvent and that way I have a nice place to practice when ever I want. So my volunteerism isn't completely selfless.

The thing is that trap shooting can be about alot more than you the individual shooter. It can be about building/maintaining a place that people like to shoot. It can be about really belonging to a club where lifetime friendships are formed. Only you can decide what is important to you - the shooting or the club operation. (most guys opt for the shooting)

13. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

I shoot many clubs and it is always the same, a few do all the work. At my club I fill trap, load trap, and score. At the other clubs I shoot I can just relax and shoot. I shoot leagues at 3 clubs and shoot at many others.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've posted this a couple of times... but many years back I was at a conference and there was a group from the American Management Association and they had a book they were selling to non-profits... "Its OK To Ask Them To Work!"

Let me tell you... I like "patron" members - they send me money and don't bother anyone... folks who shoot, work or they don't stay members. Hey, if a member is disabled, but not too disabled to shoot, he/she can score...

Better a smaller contingent of good members, than a whole facility of mediocre members... too many folks take and few too many give more than they receive.

Build time into your schedule to shoot - if you don't, no one else will. Do what you can, but there will always be more work to do...

Regards all,

Jay Spitz

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Been there done that. Once you are labeled a worker it doesn't matter, even if you get off the board, they will still expect you to put in your hours.LOL

Where do I shoot? At clubs I'm not a member. I shoot at one club where they were constantly begging me to join, they finally asked why I wouldn't join. I told them because being a nonmember I wouldn't have to work and I come to their club just to shoot.

My suggestion, though it probably won't work is to miss a few shoots at your club, somebody else will then have to work, but then when you come back you will probably be required to do twice as much.

If I had to do it all over, I wouldn't do a damn thing at any club. I wouldn't score, pull, fill a house, mow grass, run the shoot, shovel snow, nothing!! Just sit back and drink beer and enjoy the club like the other 99% who are members, and bitch about the board members.

I belonged to a club that had 500 members and we decided to put on some registered shoots. Do you know how many other members I got to help? 2! We had to hire kids to score, pull, fill the traps,etc... Now when it came time to spend the money we made off the shoots, well we had plenty of people telling us what to do.. We don't have registered shoots at that club anymore.

16. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

I looked at the ATA website and the shooter information center. My 16 yard averages were down at least 2 (two) percentage points the two years when I was trap chairman. The year after I was trap chairman my average went back up those two points. My scores for all events were always lower at my own club than at the other clubs. !!!!!!!!!.

17. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Jerry,

I feel sorry for you. Like my wife and I, you tried to do what you thought best of a new member...We both worked a local club up north for years and my wife was even asked to run for President. One year was enough..We had one BOZO even call one evening to ask if I would go out and cuts some weeds down in front of one of the sporting clays stations because they were distracting the shooters...That took a 20 minute ride and 3 minutes to pull them out...

After her term of office we went to another club and had a ball...we did our share but so did other members...

My suggestion is to NOT show up for a few weeks and see who steps up to the plate and does the work you would normally do...You may be appreciated a little more around the club and if they bitch because you weren't there..Tell them you aren't the only member out there and you are tired of being their whipping boy...

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have no official office at our club, but have been in authority at other locations. I jump in and help the club volunteer at every opportunity. If I am sitting talking with friend between rounds, I often say something like, "let's get a load of targets down so (whoever) does not have to do it all" Nine times out of ten one or two guys will get up and help me, help the club. Doing well catches on.
    I was raised by an older man who taught me to "always put a little more back than you take, so the next guy has the same chance you did". I think that is a good policy

19. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I stepped down from being an officer in our club because it started affecting everyone around me.

1) my son couldn't go to the range and practice without the politics following him around I decided it was time to leave.

2) my wife was doing the "free" newsletter any after I was elected everyone decided she was a conduit to complain about everything including the weather.

Unfortunately a real politician took the job and hasn't done anything except strut and feather his cap.

TNCoach

20. det131

det131 Member

Running the program and shooting at the same time do not mix well. Ours is a public operation at a private club and I hire others to do the scoring and loading and sometimes the sign-ups.

It is very difficult to maintain focus when on the line and you notice things like the shooter of post 4 on field 5 is having trouble with the speaker. Damn, thought I fixed that, or I set those targets this AM and now they look too high, as well as that guy on the practice trap is a little lax with his gun safety. Need to get over and address that. The shooters next to me could be doing jumping jacks and not distract me. Trying to oversee the operation and maintain focus is a disaster and scores reflect that.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.