1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Being a dad and a trapshooter

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My biggest problem is schedule conflicts. My answer is family wins. When it's homework or shooting, homework wins. When it's orchestra concert or shooting, orchestra wins. When it's dinner with Holga or shooting, Holga wins. Oh yeah, HOLGA WINS.

But Dads need personal time too. So when my daughter decided to drop orchestra - I skipped one and went shooting that Thursday night. And when school was about out, his mother and his sister helped him with his math. When it was dinner with family or shooting with the seniors, we re-scheduled dinner to a mutually agreed upon time.

I try to double up - we go the the club and then the skate park. I don't shoot as much, but Johnny will wait patiently if he knows we're going to the park. Our garden plot is right next to the club, so I can drop the family at the garden and they can walk over to the club when they're done. It's working, but it ain't easy.

Thankfully, my home club is looking into ATA targets for the next calendar year.

What are your solutions?

Thanks. Joe

2. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I got both kids into trap shooting. At 14 and 16 they both love it and do well. Momma like to shoot her .45 ACP at the range occassionally as well so we can play as a family.

3. joe kuhn

I'm hoping for some of that action. Johnny's pretty small, but we'll see. Time to go shoot...

4. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Joe -

You know how I am handling it. Trap shooting is now a once in a while thing. I might miss it a bit, but I don't have any regrets.

On the plus side, I now have the girls interested in shooting, fishing, and archery. I have more bows and 22's than I do shotguns. Especially sweet are the couple of weekdays that I don't work each month, since the archery and rifle ranges belong to ourselves on those days.

So I will just smear some oil on the shotguns every few months they sit idle, and wait for that day in the future when I am actually sad that I finally have more time to shoot.

5. mono1393

mono1393 Member

I'm with you Joe. My 2 boys and wife come first. I am going to Cub Scout camp during our State shoot. Just the way the ball bounces. I will have many opportunities to trap shoot as I grow older, but I won't have the same opportunities to go to Cub Scout camp with my 2 boys as they grow older. Love them and spend time with them when you can, because as they grow older they want to be more independent and spend time with friends more and not old mom and dad. Right now its soccer, karate, wrestling camp, basketball, school activities and not trapshooting. I trap shoot when I have time, and my family allows me that time when I need it.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

unless its paying the bills shooting is just for fun. sqeeze it in when I can.

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok I have no chickadee's myself

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/family%20photos/foggy/?action=view&current=foghorn-13.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

but I know from my past what takes priority it is always life it self and shooting can be done at any age.

Also I did take a break a few years ago to spend time with some one else that had kid's now they are 20 and 29 now and the oldest one is geting married next april and turned out to be a good kid also, ok the youngest one is pulling down about $50,000 a year working at a well know applaince store around springfield IL area.

Im sure their mom would be proud of them today and im sure they will make great dad's also because they have been raised up different than most of the normal kids out there.

Foghorn220

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have advise a number of young me; if you want to be a trapshooter, don't marry or have childern.

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I dont have much to add except I had my family later than most of you. I got married at 40 and after 10 years of medical problems and 3 miscarriages (not fun) we finally had our children.

I shot a lot for about 10 years but family commitments changed all of that.

Now my son is 16 and is taking an interest in shooting.

Both of us will shoot at the Ohio State shoot this coming week. His first registered, my first in about 18yrs.

Regards...Gerald

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My wife and I didn't have kids together, but we have grandchildren together...
    Not raising children myself, I never had to deal with that kind of compromise.

Grandkids typically come over on the weekends, and can stay Fri-Sun. Not an issue in the Winter, but with better weather and "honey-do" projects we find we have to pace ourselves on how many overnight visits we can have each month - we also work to avoid being overused as baby-sitters...

But, when the Grandkids do come over, we play and do our "projects" and that includes reloading shells together (my Granddaughter likes to line up the wads like little armies...). They even ask to reload shells - how much more could a Grandad ask for than that?!(lol) I regularly take them to the Club and most of the time they "color" or explore in the woods - but they know they have to be on their best behavior - never an issue with other members.

5000 Winchester Primers $27.99
    5000 Claybuster Wads - $70

Being a Granddad and a trapshooter... priceless

Jay

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My son lives 300 miles away and hadn't shot in 12 years. We met and shot together sort of in the middle in May. What a great early Father's Day treat that was...and he brought his 6 year old daughter with him...and she thought trapshooting was very cool!....I think there's another trapshooter in the making!!

12. tomk2

tomk2 Member

This morning, after opening the father's day cards, my youngest asked to be taken to the range for some archery. Best Father's day I have had so far!

13. joe kuhn

That's great Tom. Johnny and I went to 3 skate parks. I went to one trap range. Hah!

14. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Foghorn 220
    You ever shoot at the Warrensburg Sportsman Club?

15. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Family commitments always come first, to try to stay proficient I use Jordan's wall chart.

Mike

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

My children are graduated from college, happily married and gone from the house now but my schedule hasn't changed in decades. My family always had my time during the week when I was not at work. I NEVER worked more than 40 hours a week in my life. Life is too short to waste more than that at work. Saturdays are mine. I will be either shooting, hunting, fishing, or training dogs. I need that time in the outdoors. It isn't optional. The wife, kids and their friends are and always were welcome if they wanted to come. Sunday morning is for church followed by going out to eat as a family after church. Sunday afternoon is a free for all. On my death bed I will be thinking about my family, my God and my time in the outdoors. I have my first grandchild now. I can't wait to take him hunting, shooting and fishing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.