1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Behavior at Trap Field: Profanity

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi,

Yesterday Wednesday the 28th at Redlands I noted some behavior that rather bothered me. Behind one of the fields, some folks were having a small kickback session/picnic before a pot shoot. Included in that group was a middle aged lady. To the east of that group was another group of men in their 30's and 40's talking trap etc. One of the individuals appeared to be in a good and macho mood (beer induced?) and kept using the "f word" and variants therof describing his latest shooting adventures, purse payouts, purchases, life in general. This was well in earshot of the lady who was sitting in a lawn chair. I thought of saying something to the guy in a "nice" way, but feared any trouble/consequences. I did go out of my way to ask the lady to please move from where she was sitting before I started my diesel truck...the exhaust would have smacked her in the back. I also moved her chair, stopped the truck, got out, and moved the chair back.

I realizse that the use of profanity is hardly a super big deal in the big scheme of things. However propriety is important and the lady may think less of we shooters; her thinking that is hardly good for our sport. I have also been guilty of the same thing; use of the "f word" on the trap field when I missed a target now and then..and I didn't realize that some ladies at the back fence took offense. For that I hope I learned my lesson and still feel some pangs of guilt over that bit of immaturity.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Uh...you need us anonymous internet hacks to validate the calibration of your moral compass for you?

Look, you're a big boy, you know what's right, you know what's wrong, and you called it as you saw it...do you really need to troll for an internet "attaboy party" to buck you up on this?

It sounds like you eventually learned your own lesson, and didn't need anybody to beat it into you. The world can be an ugly place sometimes...but it's not your job to go drum "manners" into the six-pack club, either. (From the way you described it, the one middle-aged woman had some male companions in her group with her, and they weren't saying anything...so how dumb would you feel if you inserted yourself into the situation like a Mr. Buttinsky, and caused a big ruckus, only to find out the lady didn't even care?)

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Chango2, I understand your concerns. I'm from Georgia and it seems as all the folks that visit think that cussing is impressive. I can carry on a conversation and express myself without the use of swear words and certainly don't appreciate the use of them around my wife. I have learned to politely confront the individuals and if that doesn't do any good I pay the manager a visit. Oh, and yes there are plenty of folks from Georgia who cuss. Especially the younger generations. Jackie B.

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I don't hesitate to say, "hey, fellas calm the language". They get the message. Most of the time they are really unaware of the use,volume, or proximity to females. There are no trouble/consequenses that should stand in the way of you being a gentleman.

JON

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Bet that ladie had a mouth also....just not as load. I learned from my grandmother,,,,If a man steps his bounds in a presence of a ladie, She will let it be known. Im sure like you and most, theres no reasoning with Al...cohol that is. Why some clubs allow booze on the property is beyound me????

6. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

OMG WTF!

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

wow - profanity and at a gun club of all places and maybe there was beer too!! How will the Republic weather the storm? I guess we all should get a dose of Reverand Perfectlife - maybe they even take checks.

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I personally would never frequent a gun club where people said fukk or any other such language. And a beer at a gun club? OMFG, perish the thought!

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I know I'm old school, but hootch on the line and profanity around strangers, women or children is plain low class.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting Coach- Based on your above comment, I am certain I would respect you. Any person who must use strong language to express their thoughts during public conversations needs to expand both their vocabulary and their manners.

Pat Ireland

11. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I too hesitate to start a fracas over that kind of language. If necessary, though, I will break the ice by asking the offending party:

"Do you talk to your mother with that mouth?"

Danny

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I guess some never were taught early in life that profanity got you a bar of soap in the mouth.

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm probably guilty as charged. My wife, when she was alive, said I swore to much.

And she was probably right. I think the reason being that I worked in a factory for 30+ years, and we didn't have a whole lot of ladies present where I worked.

We sort of got used to expressing ourselves without fear of the weaker sex overhearing us. And at that place, if they did hear us it really didn't matter as they could talk the same talk and it never seemed to bother them.

However I will try to watch it in the future.

Hauxfan!

14. oletymer

oletymer Member

Hey wanker, have you ever read any of the tirades ole Hillary used with the secret service? The bitch is a foul mouth excuese for a human being.

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Shoot ... there are some real "F'n" rude people out there to actually ask a lady to move so you could start a truck. I hope you didn't disturb the guys who were profanitating during there conversation.

16. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

how about use of the "F" word on the line when there is a missed target? i hear that from time to time.

It doesnt bother me. I think that i makes that particular shooter look bad not shooters in general.

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yep ... whenever I hear a shooter scream out fiddlysticks or fudge or frickityfrack or anyother "F" word when they miss a target I always think of how bad that shooter is as well.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

But was she a hot looking lot lizard or a lot lizard that looks like she had been run over a couple of times?

19. jape

jape TS Member

Foul language in front of women just shows the lack of Respect for the weaker sex. People who do this probably respect little if anything. Probably talk this way in front of their mothers and daughters. Its rude and lowwwww class! Flame away!!!!!

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Would ya be complaining if behind close doors in the bedroom if she let out a flurry of profanity because of you ... well ... not because she is mad but because you know how to handle your gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.