1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginning Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rgould1, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgould1

rgould1 TS Member

I am interested in joining the shooting club at the college I am planning on
    attending next year. They have trap, skeet, 5-stand and other venues as well.
    I am wondering what kind of shotgun would best be suited for this venture. The
    coach recommended an over/under system or an automatic. For brands he also
    recommended Beretta, Borwning and Remington competition models as well. Any
    information would be much appreciated. For prices I am not too worried I just
    want to get a general idea before I get too far ahead of myself.

Thank you for your time
    ~Richard

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Have you ever shot any of these sports before?

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Richard....get with some club members and try some guns out. The ones that you have listed all make fine guns. Trying out of the differant models is for the FIT, which is important........good luck

4. missed some

missed some TS Member

where are you headed to for school??

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Congrats on college and getting into shooting shotgun sports as we are all glad to have you...the previous replies gave you good advise...see if you can try out any of your candidates ...having confidence in your gun along with its fit and feel and getting practiced at shooting it well is what you really need to keep your enthusiasm high...the best tip is that good practice and good coaching will bring out the best results in your shooting...and always shoot to WIN!!!

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Beretta 391 in the Parallel Target (Trap)configuration, probably with a 30" bbl is about as good and reliable all-around gun as you can get. Set up with a Graco counterweight kit, it is a very stable shooting platform, BUT you may not like the mechanical aspects of shooting an autoloader...MAny of my K-gun trap buddies are going to the 391 for 12 gauge skeet. And look how many top sporting clays shooters shoot the 391. Also, the adjustability of the stock with spacers is a neat set-up, allowing you the ability to adjust toe, pitch, drop, etc. to suit the sport and your shooting style.

WNCRob

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

If money is an issue, a used remington 1187 trap with a straight trap stock would be a good starting point. You can always buy skeet and sporting clay barrels as the need arises. FWIW. JM

8. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Fully agree with WNCRob's post. Great setup with a myriad of parts/addons/aftermarket gurus to change it at will. Also a great gun to use even if you happen to move on to another pricier gun in the future. I have several 15K shotguns in my safe sitting right next to a couple of 391's I have had for years and still shoot on occasion. Very good handling, soft shooting, guns with great "pointability" even though I hate using the word "point" and shotgun in the same sentence. You really can't lose buying one. Another post pointed out that many top shooters use the 391 and that is sure the truth!

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm with your coach! There are clay target games that require only one shot and others that permit or require taking two shots. A single barrel, single shot shotgun will hamper your "trying" all of the sports to see where your desires will be. In other words, don't limit yourself to only having one shot. The autoloaders and the over/unders will permit single or two shot games. Next, I recommend keeping the initial purchase to an investment that won't require selling your Porshe. You are likely, no matter what you start with, to go through 2 or 3 guns before settling in with one that does all and works best for you. If you can, go to a club and make friends and ask to borrow their guns - most shooters are willing to let a beginner give their guns a try. You, hopefully, will run across one that suits you well. I have started beginners with both autoloaders and O/Us and several have stuck with their first choice for very long times.....breakemall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beggining shotgun for trap

beginning shotgun for trap

beginning shotgun for trapshooting

trap shotguns that start with a