1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginnig shooter gun recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dbuck, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbuck

Dbuck TS Member

Hello all. I am a beginner at trap shooting. I would like to purchase my first shotgun. I am on a budget and do not want to go over $1000. I have tried my friends charles daly over under, and a browning single barrel. I liked both but liked the browning more I think because it had a heavier feel. Any opinions would be great. I would be willing to buy new or used.
    Thanks for all your time!
    Darren

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

For the money it is hard to beat a Browning BT-99. You can't use it for Doubles but I think it is better to be competent at 16 yard and handicap before even thinking about Doubles.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy a used gun that you can shoot first. If it is user friendly and hits a lot of targets you are allowed to buy it. HMB

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Agree with HMB. Guns are no different than anything else. They depreciate. Buy a good used gun and then when it comes time to "upgrade" you will lose less $$.
    The Bt99 is a good, reasonably priced trap gun and can be bought used within your budget range. However, the BT99 limits you to 16 yd and handicap trap. If you want to try doubles or use the gun for sporting clays; the gun naturally will not meet your needs. If the gun will be needed to shoot all clay target disciplines; I would opt for a Beretta 391 or a Remington 1100. (With choke tubes). Either of these guns would allow you to shoot all the clay target games and will hold their value. Just stay away from those "cheapie over/ unders). Good luck. Ed

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Buy a nice BT99 with a few dings for $850, shoot it for five years and sell it for $1000.

Or, better yet, find an old Beretta Mark II from the early 70s for about $700, shoot it for 30 years, then leave it to your kids so they can finish breaking it in.

-Gary

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

the charles daly, being basically a citori in drag, would be a good start for all games.

look for a Miroku... same gun.. make sure it's a trap model..

or, the BT 99 if your not into doubles or sporting clays

7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

you could probably get a used Browning Citori or Lightning model that would be good starter guns and would hold their values very well. Plus you could shoot
    doubles with them no problem. Good luck, Jeff

8. Dbuck

Dbuck TS Member

Wow this is great info! Thank you! Any additional recommendations would be welcomed.
    Darren

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Forget the Charles Daley or any other 'bargain O/Us.

The BT99 (used) is in your price range and a good choice but the sex of trap is doubles so you really better get something that will fire two shots. There are a few Remington 3200s out there going for about $1k - not a bad choice - and also a used SKB is worth looking for.

A 390 or 391 Beretta could also be in your price range and they will also take you a long way providing you are capable of doing a bit ot maintenance every couple of thousand rounds.

What you are going to find out about his game of trap is that the cost of ammo and targets will exceed what you paid for your first trap gun very quickly. (usually within a year).

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

1972-1974 BT-99 with a fixed full choke. Once you find one in very good condition, shoot it till you get your first 25. Then you will have the sudden urge to buy a different gun. Please do yourself a favor and resist as long as you can. Shoot it till you break 100 straight. Now you have your technique down and you have learned to shoot that particular gun. Now, when the temptation to buy a different gun is so over-wellming that it happens, you buy a different gun, put that classic in the safe and do not sell it. Because, there is going to come a time when you are going to have to pull it out and shoot it, to get your confidence back when the "slump" hits you with the other GUNS. Notice I said GUNS, plural. Just warning you. Good luck, and have fun. Jon

11. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

The older Charles Daly is the same gun as Winchester 101 and Browning Superposed. Also Niko and some others were all made by Miroku in Japan. These are great guns. I use my 101 and love it. It has 28" mod/mod bbls and I have broken 25/25 with it. It was my dads gun so I didnt have to buy it, but I would buy a trap version in a heartbeat. Don't shy away from the Daly. You can find them for under a grand once in a while. You could also find a Beretta 686 Essential and put a trap stock on it for under a grand. Not perfect, but will get you through until you can buy a proper trap gun. A used Beretta auto Target model would also be a great gun.

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

first trap gun recommendations