1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner shooting in Indiana

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by thehyperpiper, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thehyperpiper

thehyperpiper TS Member

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum, and as you'll read on, it is my first time for everything trap related!

I'm very interested in getting involved in the sport, however I would be starting from ground zero. I don't have a FOID card, but Merrillville, Indiana is not very far from me. I guess my first question is if anyone knows about the Glen Park Izaak Walton League, and if I can shoot there without a FOID or if I have to apply for one first?

Once question #1 is answered, I can proceed to problem #2. I don't own a shotgun ( as if you couldn't guess from problem #1). Does anyone know if the Glen Park Izaak Walton League can rent equipment, that is a gun, goggles, ear protection, etc?

Hopefully the answers to the first two are positive enough for to press on with my questions. The last two are pretty generic and I'm sure that the info would be useful anyway. #3 How much should I expect to pay, for a few hours, if i include rental fees, grounds fees, ammunition, and clays? And finally, #4, Glen Park Izaak Walton League says that its hours in November include Saturdays 11 AM to 3 PM. Do you think that includes the Saturday after Thanksgiving? Very obscure question I know but I will have family in that weekend and I think they would enjoy the experience as well.

thanks in advance for all your replies

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

One of you guys from Niles get on here and help him out, it is not that far and offers more opportunity for this young man. Lots of good clubs in northern Indiana and lower Mich

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I think the FOID card is an Ill. thing, we don't have them in Indiana, at least not in the southern part.

Welcome to the sport. I hope somebody up north can answer your questions.

4. trapboy8769

trapboy8769 TS Member

im actually a trapboy at gpiw.
    i think the saturday after thanksgiving we r open but we always have a message posted if we r not in the club house.
    a price for a round of nonmember shooting is i believe $4.25 but im not sure although it should be close to that.
    a box of shells if purchased there the lst time i heard was $6.25 or so
    but if u go to walmart and buy the federal value pack its just what we sell and will cost about $23 for 4 boxes.
    we dont actually rent out guns but do have a couple that we lend out sometimes u would just have to go in and ask roger hall and no promises but he might let u use em. he'll also get u set up and going for what u wanna do.
    see you there Matt

5. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

Piper...check out the link to the Indiana Trapshooters Association. All the clubs are listed along with shoot info, costs, and contact names & numbers.

6. Superdog1

Superdog1 TS Member

If you are not far from Glen Park izzak walton, drop by! they are a great bunch of guys, and Roger Hall is one of the good guys. I do go their when I can. No FOID card needed. Bring some spending money, it seems someone always has a starter shotgun available to call your own. Good luck and welcome to a great sport.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

You can also check out the Griffith Indiana Izaak Walton League. There is nothing needed to shoot there but a gun, shells, and a respectful and safe attitude. When I was still up there, it seemed like the Glen Park Ikes would shut down all shooting on a regular basis ecause they had a lot of picnics and such. Good Luck

8. thehyperpiper

thehyperpiper TS Member

Thanks everyone for your posts! Glad to see this forum is so active. See you on the field soon

9. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Leo

I'm guessing you were "up there" many years ago. I've been shooting at Glen Park for about 10 years now. Shooting is the number one priority. The only time we shut down now is due to weather. But even that doesn't deter us. When we had a tornado hit nearby and knocked out our power for a few weeks, we hooked up a generator to keep the traps throwing targets and turn on the lights. In addition, GPIW is heavy invested in ATA programs.

During my time at the club, I've never experienced a shutdown of the traps due to a picnic. I'd be curious when you were at Glen Park last.

Bill Radwan - Membership Secretary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beginner trap shooting in southern indiana

indiaiana shooting foid card