1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

beginainer what size shot and what choke tom use

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by edwin hicks, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwin hicks

edwin hicks TS Member

I am new to the sport, shooting terrible 41 on four rounds never had a problem shooting 25 out of 25 on my launcher , this is a whole new thing . I think i need some advice on shot size and choke size, any comments would be apreciated,i am not discouraged , this looks like it will be fun for me!! My 41 was with 7.5 shot 1 1/8 oz modified choke
    Thanks Edwin

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What you used is fine.

Learn to shoot it. As you said... this is a new thing. The targets don't all go the same direction like they do from a launcher.

Don't drive yourself loony looking for the magic shot and choke combination expecting it will solve all your problems.

Now, wait a second for the guys that prefer #8 shot to jump in.

MK

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I prefer full chokes but thats me. It sounds as if your shells and choke choice are exactly what you want. I use 1 1/8oz #8's and full choke but i stink at a 94% singles and 90% handicap from the 20.5 yard line. I would suggest patterening your gun to check your POI(point of impact) and see how your modified choke patterns first. What is your weapon of choice may i ask?

Matt

4. grntitan

"Now, wait a second for the guys that prefer #8 shot to jump in"

didn't take me long did it? LOL

Matt

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Practice, practice, practice................patience.

6. edwin hicks

edwin hicks TS Member

stoeger condor is my gun i patterned it and point of impact a 35 yrds seems to be on but with the mod choke i had only 320 in 30 inch circle

7. grntitan

Edwin--Play around with different chokes at the pattern board. find the one that satisfies your needs and transfer it over to your game.

8. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Edwin, most hunting guns shoot flat,a target in trap is rising about 10 feet in the first 30 feet. You can try covering up the target or build up the stock with moleskin to make the gun shoot higher. John

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Raise the height of the comb until you start smoking the targets. HMB

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Shot size and choke are not your problem.

John C. Saubak

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Edwin:

Transitioning from a "known" target to variable targets presents challenges.

Just increasing the distance from standing behind your launcher to 48 feet (16 yards) is an adjustment... maybe start with practicing on "fixed" targets from 16 yards and moving from 3 to 4 to 2, then move to 5 and 1...

Work on your fundamentals.

regards and good luck,

Jay

12. browntown

browntown TS Member

I say a 41 out of 50 for a beginner with a field gun is great. Many people struggle for a 40 when they start. I shoot 1 1/8 7.5shot for everything from 16's to 27 yard annies.

13. grntitan

browntown: 41 out of 50 ain't completely terrible for a beginner but the problem is he shot 41 out of 100.

Matt

14. edwin hicks

edwin hicks TS Member

thanks for your advice i will stick with my current selections and go for 20 rounds of 100, and see what happens. i really think the comment about that clay rizeing is where the practice is needed i will try to cover it up and see what happens, or possibly try the mole skin idea later on but first and formost lots of rounds are in my near future

15. missemucho

missemucho Member

Before you do the "lots of rounds" follow the advice about raising your comb. Most field guns shoot dead flat and covering the target is just putting a bandaid on the problem; hard to learn your correct target picture when you can't see it. Use the moleskin then ask someone to lock the machine on straightaways and shoot from post 3. Keep adding height to the comb until you're smoking the targets.

Been there; made that mistake trying to use a field gun for trap.
    John

16. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I am relatively new as well but what I can say is a few things that helped me First a regular launcher is alot different. I assume you are using a spring loaded one you cock and launch from your feet or near your shooting position. If you a good shot most can break those all day. They throw known angles and start at 0 yards. Remember trap starts at 16 yards and from relatevely unknown angles. Also there is 5 different positions. If you set the trap fixed and shot from one station you would show similar results. here are my suggestions:

1) stick with one load and velocity - I like 1 ounce 8's at around 1150-1200 fps

2) Stick with one choke and stick with it. Either a IM or Full would be my choice.

3) Make sure your gun fits and try to wear the same amount of clothing all the time. A bulky sweater one day and a tshirt the next will affect your mount.

4) Keep your check glued to your stock and avoid looking up at the bird breaking. lifting your check off the stock almost always makes you miss.

5) Shoot - Shoot -Shoot. rotate starting stations to avoid the stigma that you have to shoot at a particular station.

lastly try to think at each bird at a time. Focus for a few seconds before you call for it and try to have a set routine. It will help you focus. I place my shell in a certain way just to keep with the routine. Silly I know but it helps be focus. Don't worry about getting a 25 before you shoot. Look at it as one by one. if you miss not worry about it.

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You have already been given the secret. Stay with your current load and choke, raise your comb if you can and if not start putting the moleskin on. Lock in on station three, all you are doing is getting the height adjustment or go to the patterning board. Stand at 13 yards back, bench rest the gun if you can, add moleskin until you are hitting 2" above your aim spot. Go to the line and see what you can shoot. If you are hitting the top of the birds go back to the board and add some more moleskin until you are hitting 3" above your aim spot and then back to the line.

2" at 13 yards equals 6" at 40 yds.
    3" at 13 yds equals 9/10" at 40 yds.

Keep your head on the gun, to many want to see their success but guess what there is no success if your head is off the gun.

Have fun.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.