1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Before the Krieghoff, Perazzi, etc... ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Know that Krieghoff, Perazzi, Beretta, etc have been around a long time.

Figure they have been used at the highest level of competition forever.

But before they became popular at the local trap range level...

What were considered the high grade trap guns at the local range ?

Browning Superposed ?

Winchester Model 12 ?

Winchester Model 21 ?

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you wanted to show your money.. there were quite a few Purdey,Holland and Holland,Boss,and upper grade Ithaca shotguns out there that could cost many THOUSANDS of dollars when a Model 12 was a few hundred.. maybe

3. TjayE

TjayE Member

Back many years ago (in the 1960's) I saw an advertising brochure from the Winchester Gun Company stating that the Win Model 12 trap shotgun was used by a high percentage of ATA registered shooter. As I remember, I think they advertised something like "75 or 85% of all ATA registered trapshooter shot Model 12 shotguns".

I think I have that brochure somewhere in my collection, but I have no idea where I have it stored/hid. The older I get, the harder it is to find thing that I have kept and stored away. Tom

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Has the average trap score gone up since the Winchester Model 12 was popular ?

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Bt-99's were gaining popularity then also..........

6. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

There were so many Model 12s in the gun racks at shoots you couldn't find your own unless you had it marked.Those were the days !!!!!!!!!!--- IT KICKED?????,News to me !!!!!!!!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

7. releasebob

releasebob Member

According to some on this forum it's impossible to win unless you have a P or K gun,with all those model 12's did all trapshoots end in a draw back then.LOL BOB

8. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

IAB trap guns from Italy won many championships back in the day.

9. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

why is it now we need ten grand worth of gun to break clays?

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Don't forget the L.C.Smith--Parker--Baker they were and still are very high quality. Ross Puls

11. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Saw a single-shot Grade "B" Parker trap gun at a gun show this weekend.

$4,800.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

SB was the second grade up the chart. If the gun was in good shape that's about right. Sold for $225.00 in 1917 new and $290.00 in 1940. Grades were sc,sb,sa,saa, and sa-1. Bill

13. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if there were ever any national events won with the "lowly" 31 or 870TC's?

14. DickG

DickG TS Member

Yes. Vic Reinders won the Clay Target at the Grand with his Model 31

15. wm rike

wm rike Member

Hawk - At the Grand in 1950 Rudy Etchen won the HOA for professionals using an 870, and his 980 was several points higher than the winning amateur score turned in by Ned Lilly.

16. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Larry Gravestock used a Model 31 very handily.

17. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Rudy Etchen did very well with the 870 his father bought him in 1950. Rudy shot it the rest of his life along with other guns for flyers.

When Bob Allen contacted Rudy in the early 1980's Bob wanted to have a old timer's squad. Bob would make up the shooting vests and Bob wanted Rudy to shoot on the squad.

Rudy told Bob that it had been a long time since he had shot American trap but he would practice up and be glad to shoot on the squad.

They started with the Dayton Homecoming (200 singles) on Sunday of prelimanry week and shot the rest of the week. 200 singles on Sunday, 200 class singles on Monday, and the clay target championship on Wednesday.

Rudy shot and broke all 600 singles 600 X 600 with his 1950 Etchen grip 870.

Michael Stephenson

18. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Rudy was pretty good shooting doubles with that 870 too.Jerry

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you look at the pictures taken at shoots many many moons ago you are sure to see a fair share of Winchester Model 12's in the hands of many of the Legends of the sport ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Rudy was versed in all shooting sports. If you go to the Rudy Etchen website you'll find a list of his records.

One that impressed me especially was Rudy set a skeet record of 104 straight. As it says in the list of records:

"Long Run Skeet Record - 104 targets straight. If that doesn't impress you, consider that Rudy Etchen shot it while standing on one foot . . . atop the post at each skeet station . . . using only one hand . . . with a Model 12 pump shotgun. "

Michael Stephenson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.