1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Before fast foods.......For us older guys..

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

... THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS ....

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,' I explained. !'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'
    By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow)

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 14.

It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a..m.. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 16 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line.. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.

On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.

Real ice boxes.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.Ratings at the bottom..

1.. Blackjack chewing gum

2.Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

3. Candy cigarettes

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles

5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

7. Party lines on the telephone

8 Newsreels before the movie

9. P.F. Flyers

10. Butch wax

11.. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels... [if you were fortunate])

12. Peashooters

13. Howdy Doody

14. 45 RPM records

15. S& H greenstamps

16. Hi-fi's

17. Metal ice trays with lever

18. Mimeograph paper

19. Blue flashbulb

20. Packards

21. Roller skate keys

22. Cork popguns

23. Drive-ins

24. Studebakers

25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young.
    If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older.
    If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age.
    If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Man you old as they come! I still have our first TV with the Rabbit Ears, my wife gets tired of holding them just right

3. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

loved playing marbles and kick the can & red lite green lite, the rag man -ice man -veg man all with horse drawn wagons coming by to sell there wares.

4. maka

maka Member

How about neigbor hood grocery stores with penny candy. Old rockola juke boxes with large 78 rpms for a nickle a play. Small school milk bottles with card board stoppers with Hoppe Along Cassidy. Redball Jets tennies. Bikes with the big action spring in front of handle bars and ballon tires. Don't forget the tube patching kits. Paddle boards with the rubber band and red ball on the end. Marvel cigaretts. Tall up right Philco radioes. Crystal radio sets for kids.

5. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I must be one of them thar tweeners!

Man I can relate to both sides of the story.

ole enough to know the first fairly well, lived about the end of it

young enough to know the second better.

one kid at home I enjoy when he say's I learned this in history, and I can show him pictures

Al

Never thought About how that puts an age on me, heck I am stil the kid in some circles I travel.

When those OLD em's are gone it is truly going to be werid to wake up and be the old in.

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Mirrors my youth exactly.

And.....We went to school when it snowed.

Now 3" stops everything.

Regards.....Gerald

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's not mimeograph paper.....It's carbon paper. Mimeograph was a machine that made copies. Teacher would type the master, and put it in the machine. Then she turned the crank and copies came out, with a real crappy blue print.

The one in our school was a Hectograph (brand name, I believe).

I remember all that stuff. Didn't miss a thing. the gas station had a soda machine with the bottles sliding in racks. Sometimes when the station closed we would pop a cap off and slurp up the soda with a straw.

HM

8. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

The soldering irons were heated over charcoal pots, as an apprentice I had to take them out and throw them up to the journeyman tinner on the roof soldering the gutters. One turn in the air and wood handle towards the hand or you heard about it. Ahhhhh, the good old days. Harv

9. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Ditto - loved the smell. Every kid in class would hold them to their nose and inhale.

Joe.

10. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Went to school '53-'66 in Chicago- NEVER had a "snow day". My wife's parents still had a party-line when we got married in '70. Unfortunately I remember almost all the rest of this stuff, does that mean I'm old???(63 next week)..I always had a knife in my pocket and my teachers knew it and didn't care.

Larry

11. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

And Harv- I remember carrying the journeyman's tools up 4-5 flights of stairs when I was an apprentice

Larry

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Does anyone remember painting the tops of headlights black during WWll? Ration coupons and those little red fiber ration tokens? Silver (zinc) pennies?

How about the peddlar with horse and wagon - and this was in New York City!

Coal trucks with chain drive?

Buying milk and having to specify "Pasteurized" and/or "homogonized"?

Buying "loose" cigarettes?

Sweet Caparole cigarettes?

13. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I grew up in the mid 30'snd 40's. Didn't know there was such a thing as a resturant until I was in high school. Closest thing to eating out was a cherry coke or a root beer float at the drug store. I don't think my town, Osceola Wi. pop 642, had a resturant. School didn't have a cafeteria, went home for lunch, bus kids had a bag lunch. Maybe PY's tavern had a grill, never allowed to go in so I don't know.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Aaarrrggggh! I remember all that stuff!

Guess I am an Old Phart!

15. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Rick you are probably thinking of Gambles or Western Auto

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Our first tv had a small screen with a mirror in front of it to make the picture larger. Than my father purchased some red type cellopane and placed it over the picture screen to get color tv. Problem was, everyone and everything was different shades of red and pink.
    Steve Balistreri

17. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

MayTag washmachines with a gas engine.

18. dhg

dhg TS Member

Rick, the forth was 16 rpm, I have a stero that has all four speeds

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You don't have to be that old to remember most of what is being talked about here. I'm only 50 and remeber this stuff (except the Edsel) vividly.

Rick Barker's comment about his Grandad smoking Prince Albert in the can reminded me of my great uncle who smoked the stuff and would give me the empty cans to put fishing worms and grasshoppers in. Those neat lillte flip tops allowed a kid to get the bait out and string it up with one hand. Pretty neat memories .... thanks for the short break from reality.

20. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

a few more got jarred lose, the "penny arcade" and street cars, sky king, flash Gorden, my job was to empty out the tray in the ice box, am & pm. flating out pennys on the street car tracts, I watch I didn't participate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.