1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Before and After/Opinions on Gacoil, Rad.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by valmet, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

Any of you folks that have installed the Gracoil or Rad type recoil
    device notice any felt difference, after 3 events (300 targets) to your wrist
    and/or cheek?? (other than reduced recoil to your shoulder of course).
    just wondering, Dennis.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I use gracoils and Iam satisfied with their performance. I may however switch to a Rad 3 on an upcoming stock that is being made.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have a RAD on my TM-1. I can shoot all day for weeks and not feel a thing.

4. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I have a beretta that I shot for over a year, pounding me in the face and in the shoulder. After having Ken Rucker put a bumpbuster on it, I have no problem shooting 300 targets. No more bruises on my face or soreness in my shoulder. Part of the advantage of a quality recoil reducer is all the adjustments so you can make the gun fit properly which is a big part of cheek slap and recoil.

Mr. Mark

5. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

These collapsable units are usually added with less felt recoil and little or no adverse results, However, I have observed face kick begin when there was none before, due to increased stock motion under cheek. I have also witnessed a flare-up with regard to hand/wrist pain in shooters with a touch of carpel or arthritis. These results are not typical, but do crop up on occasion. The recoil will be dispersed somewhere. A collapsable device will sometimes direct it to the hands with adverse effects in some shooters with a pre-existing condition. Todd Nelson

6. valmet

Thanks for all the responses. Todd,your response confirmed my thoughts
    on this. my cheek is sensitive to recoil until i get in condition every spring.
    i broke my wrist(compound)in my late teens i feel every weather change
    there is. i'll probably stick with what i have now. thanks again, Dennis

7. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

You might want to try a soft comb, if your current comb is adjustable it is very easy to convert it to a soft comb---could make a world of difference in cheek comfort-----Phil

8. valmet

thanks for the tip Phil, but i neglected to mention previously that i do have
    a soft top and a fully adjustable pad so i don't feel i would be gaining
    a lot. thanks again, Dennis

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have put a GraCoil on my XT and BT99. I can shoot then over 200 shots easy with out any problems.
    I use to get headaches after just 100 shots.
    As for recoil and the comb hitting you cheak try a pitch spacer. A postive one with the wide end on top. We put one in a guy at our club that had a BT99 with a problem of cheak slap and it stop it for him.

10. flylta

flylta TS Member

Hoosier what type of shooting were they refering too?

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I had both units on different guns. Gacoil was on a Citori Plus, RAD was on my Kolar. Both did a nice job, more for the LOP feature than recoil. I did find they both caused a problem on doubles, the slide action worked against me keeping my head on the stock. I had a friend make shims that locked the units against movement. I sold the stock on my Kolar and replace it with one that had the correct LOP and fitted me much better, I can honestly say a well fitted stock does just as much to tame recoil as one of those units,

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I have a gra-coil on my old Browning Citori Special Trap. Installing that device was not a good decision on my part. I shoot doubles with that gun - lots and lots of them. Having the stock move after the first shot did not help me with that second target. The spring is now cranked up so the device does not collapse. The only thing I accomplished was to ruin a perfectly good stock. On top of that, the plate for the recoil pad is aluminum and does not have threaded steel inserts. Hole spacing is not perfect either so if you change pads a couple of times, you have a good chance at stripping the aluminum threads on the gra-coil. In my opinion, if you have cheek slap, you need a gun fitting, not a soft top and not a gra-coil or perhaps you are lifting your head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rad stock citori