1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beer and guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I've seen this twice: Corporate event at a shooting center - 5-stand from covered position - I shoot fall and spring league Trap there (non registered) and shoot practice there about twice a week. I'm coming off a practice session and the group outing has shot some and is now breaking out their lunch - guys open a big ice chest and it's full of ice and beer. Nothing like a cold beer or two at lunch around the picnic tables. They finish up, throw the food trash away, empty beer cans away and off to shoot another round.

Trap/skeet club - registered targets - Big 50 night - I shoot a practice round with a couple of guys (I'm new so not "in the group" of this small club) so I am back at the truck getting my gear together and both of these guys walk by with a beer in their hand. They drank one, maybe two while doubles were being shot and then were on the line for singles and hdcp. This is the only place I have to shoot registered targets and don't want to make myself a real outsider by saying something. It's a small group and all seem to be old friends all the way up to the owner. I want to shoot but man, booze and guns do not mix.

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Bar should be closed to people who are shooting. After they shoot open bar. I think ATA has rules on this.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

X2 what Earl said. No shooting after the drinking has started.

4. yakimaman

No bar at either place - all brought in.

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Just what is it that you hope to accomplish by posting this here?

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

From a liability standpoint, this is an ambulance chasing lawyer's wet dream: allowing shooters to shoot after they have consumed alcohol on the premises of the range. All it takes is one knucklehead who has one too many and becomes careless, to screw it up for the club and puts them out of business.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Both the ATA and PITA have rules against this but it is up to the club to enforce it.

The other thing that I have found though many 'trials' of my own is that even one beer will hurt your performance on the trap line. At least it does with me anyway. It isn't 'aiming oil' as some claim.

Now that I'm done with the preachin, I will say the time spent at the club bar after the guns are put up is just as entertaining as the the time on the line. Both are great fun events - just keep them separated for maximum enjoyment.

8. SBray

SBray Active Member

yakimaman

Good to see you post your concerns here. I feel this is a good reminder that shooting while drinking does not mix. I belong to four different types of clubs, pistol/rifle, trap and other clay sports. One club is known for attracting drinkers, one does not encourage it, the other two have a policy of absolutely no alcohol on the premises.

I enjoy an occasional beer but when it comes to guns, I would just as soon as never see anyone drinking, period.

If you were to poll everyone at these clubs, you would find many others that do not approve of the drinking. I think if you are concerned about being not accepted, perhaps you should find another place to shoot.

JMHO,

Steve

9. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

Pretty common at small clubs here in Wisconsin. I know I'll draw fire from saying this, but a couple of beers do help me relax and shoot better and I haven't seen anyone unsafe from drinking. all the idiots have been sober. I don't really advocate drinking and shooting, but I don't see it as being that big of an issue. If you don't feel safe don't shoot there. Now if people are taking it to excess thats a whole differnt issue.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You use to be able to get a beer at the Grand all over. Beer tents were up and down the line. If you don't like it find a new place to shoot. :) The whole world has gone to he!! in a hand basket. Maybe we should reinstitute prohibition. Then all you knot heads will be happy. :)

11. Mapper

Mapper Member

I have to sort of lean with Bill Grill on this one. Years ago it was not uncommon
    for shooters to have a beer or two before shooting. I used to occasionally shoot with an old champion shooter who kept a jug of Old Grandad under the seat of his Chrysler. Took a pop after each 25. It doesn't work for me, but unless someone is truely impaired I don't say anything.

12. yakimaman

Wow! it's ok as long as you aren't impaired - exactly what do I hope to accomplish? - nothing - just see what other people have experienced. And it appears to be a bit like "the hull truth" boating forum. One group says hell no, the other can't get through the day without it. How do you gauge truly impaired? Is it ok for the airline pilot flying you and your family on vacation to have a couple to relax him before take off? How about the train operator or transit bus operator or that semi driver. Couple beers won't hurt - just so long as you're not truly impaired. Don't mean to rain on your parades and offend anyone. I drink - have one in my hand right now. But I'm a Safety Managment Consultant and my answer to the airline pilot, the train operator, the bus driver, the trucker, the yachtsman and all shooters is hell no. You want to drink, then put the gun away - want to drink and shoot?, then you're a safety risk to everyone around you. Toss a shot folks and fire away.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeeeeaaaah...we used to hear the same thing from drinking drivers, how they drove better after a couple of beers.

14. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

Yakimaman, I agree that booze and guns don't mix...the last thing I want is someone standing next to me (or my kids) on the line that may have had enough to drink to compromise my safety and theirs. The club I go to does not tolerate any kind of drinking on the premises while shooting is going on. This of course does not prevent someone from coming to the club with a few drinks already in their system but it importantly creates an environment of zero tolerance at the club and as a member I would not hesitate to help enforce it.

I love the club that I belong to and never want to give anyone outside of the club (i.e. local police, city government, neighbors, etc.) a reason to question our commitment to safety and the well being of our members, guests and neighbors. If, God forbid, an accident does happen at the club there should not be any question that alcohol did not play a role in it.

BTW, I love a couple of cold ones as much as the next guy but you are not going to catch me driving a car or shooting a gun after I have enjoyed them...unless you try entering my house uninvited after a home happy hour then I will gladly pick up the Glock and throw a couple of rounds your way!

15. SBray

SBray Active Member

Most of the clubs I have gone to have programs in place to teach children about our clay sports and no where in that orientation should there be fellow shooters drinking and shooting.

16. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The old saying was: Drink enough that you see three birds, and shoot the middle one. Times have changed.

17. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

Gapper, you just described my approach to golf...to a tee!

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have seen this post before. In Wisconsin people drink before, during, and after shooting money shoots, and league (non-ATA). I have never seen anyone impaired at the line either next to me or otherwise. If someone drinks enough at the club before shooting and it is seen, I am sure they would not be allowed to the line. I do not think that the shooters I have been around or seen would drink until they where to impaired or dangerous to have a gun in there hand. They have one, maybe two beers. The beer is not even really impairing them before they go out. I have seen more people though that where dangerous with a gun in there hand that did not drink though.

19. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Think I'll take up pot smokin'. That's the ticket...ought to help me relax and improve my focus. Sheesh

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Remember Arnold Riegger?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.