1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beeper collars

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mooshkat, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

Who uses them and why? Which brand do you prefer? I have a 7mo. old pointer that will start hunting pheasant and grouse this fall, would a beeper collar be a good idea. I will be using a used Dogtra 1100NC e-collar i bought.

2. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

I used a Cabelas brand for about 4 years,,,My opinion is my lab is better dog because of it,,,she listens and reacts to my commands as good as you could ever expect,,of course I'll never know how she would have been without it,,

By the way please consider getting your dog micro-chipped,,you never know if you'll need it or not but for 40 dollars why not,,,

3. DONNE

DONNE Member

Personally I don't like beeper collars.
    Have you considered a GPS tracking collar? They make no noise, tell when your dog is on point, and where he and you are too.
    Garmin just came out with their newest model. The Astro DC40. Look around and you can find one for less than $600. They are expandable too. It can also help you find your way back to your truck.

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I prefer a collar which you can turn on and off remotely. It has several advantages. One is that you can turn it off when you locate the dog on point so it does not keep beeping in his ear. Another is that you can trigger the beeper to locate your dog if he is out of site. This saves a lot of searching and anxiety as well as helps you keep the dog under control even when you can't see him.

I prefer using the collar in "point only" mode which means that it only beeps when the dog is on point not periodically when the dog is running. The brand I use is Innotek. They are a fine company with an excellent product line backed by excellent service.

I have no experience YET with a GPS collar but I am thinking about trying one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.