1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bedding Rifle Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

A friend of mine has asked about "bedding" his rifle barrel. He has a new 30-06 Ruger, and would like to know Pros/Cons cost etc. to do this! Thanks Bruce Temple

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Need more info on type and shape of barrel and stock. Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy and Johnsons paste wax for a release agent work well. HMB

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

The Gun is a Ruger M77 Mark II, Ultra Lite. A huntig rifle with regular barrel.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Brownells has a kit with everything needed. Be sure to read the instructions well or you may have a hard time getting the stock back off. In a traditional wooden stock, a good bedding job does stablize the accuracy. Good Luck

5. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Do you want to bed the action or the barrel? Most thinking today is bed the action and float the barrel. That is what I do with all of mine........Roger

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

thats just sick bedding a rifle barrel

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

I am firmly in the camp of bedding the action and floating the bbl. The rugers I have bedded (just me - hunting guns - not a gunsmith, not a high power competition shooter)have all done about the same thing. The group opened up a little - but it will stay put when the weather changes. A little humidity, cold, rain, the wood moves and puts pressure on the bbl, a floated bbl is a bit more immune to this.

I have always used the standard acraglass kits - not the gels.

my $0.02

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

This site will get you good rifle stuff too: http://www.accuratereloading.com/

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Good advice above. I agree with EE, bedding a Ruger's angled recoil lug is not for first-timers. Tell him to shoot it first. If he finds one ammo that'll shoot 3-5 into 1.5"-2", I'd say just shoot it. If it's a light wood foreend, and he's afraid of it warping when wet, he can ream out the wood and bed just the barrel channel, to prevent warping. To do that you first wrap the barrel with tape, to ensure a gap between it and the bedding compound. When done, he may want to replace the front pressure-point (a drop of silicone caulk works) as this barrel will most likely want a front spot where it touches. Phil E

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A gunsmithing friend and I did my Ruger 30-06. Free floated the barrel, glass bedded the action, then added a pressure rest at the tip. I shot the gun between each step and it really came alive shooting great groups after adding a few pounds of upward pressure to the barrel at the forearm tip. I've since done the same thing on all my centerfire rifles and they shoot great for hunting rifles.

Hap

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What do you mean by bedding the action?

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bedding the action, that means placing a layer of epoxy between the wood stock and the metal receiver of the rifle. This results in a perfect fit between the wooden stock and the action. HMB

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Glass-bed the action and float the barrel.

John C. Saubak

14. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Most of the suggestions above got it right, you dont want to bead the Barrel you want to bed the action from the recoil lug back. Then you Float the barrel, when finished you should be able to wrap a dollar bill around the barrel and slide it between the barrel and the stock all the way up to the recoil lug.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When bedding a rifle with a heavy target barrel it's agood idea to bed the action and the first two inches of the barrel that is just in front of the action. The remained of the barrel is free floated.

You can also fine tune the bedding job by using a torque wrench to tighten the bedding screws when you are at the range. You can find the right number of inch pounds for each screw. This will give you the smallest groups, and can be repeated or reset each time you shoot. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bedding a rifle barrel
bedding first four inches of heavy rifle barrel

bedding rifle barrel

what point touches on a bedded barrel