1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bedding material to build up a stock.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought a stripped BT stock but the problem with it is where the metal meets the wood the wood is too low about 1/16". I would like to build this up as I am goimg to paint the stock. The question is will the bedding material hold up without coming off due to the recoil of the gun? Any thoughts on this? Bulge.

2. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

+1 for Bondo...never used it on a shotgun, I have molded several rifle stocks using Bondo. Easy to use, shapes and sands well, and takes paint good. Most any auto parts stores will have it on hand.

3. Borderland

Borderland Member

There is a version of fiberglass body filler(Bondo) that does not require mixing with a catalyst for hardening. You expose it to UV(sunlight) when you are ready for hardening to occur.. giving you lots of time to shape it.

Ken

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It sounds as if you have a small rounded area to fill. This is commonly caused by improper sanding at a corner of the wood. The rounded area you need to fill is not a good shape to support the filling material. The void need to be cut so that the sides are square with the receiver. You need to make a rectangular void about 1/16 X 3/16 with the bottom and side square with the receiver and the back parallel with the receiver. This can be done quickly with a Dremel Tool or a good sharp knife. Miniature chisels are also good and can quickly be made with a grinder. Make all cuts toward the receiver end to prevent splitting the wood along the grain.

Next, with a sharpened ice pick or similar tool, with light hand pressure make several indentations in the wood. A bent safety pin can also be used for this. This will give the filler something to grab on to as it hardens.

I prefer epoxy, but a good Bondo product will also work. The epoxy will flow into the small irregularities of the wood much better than bondo. Coat he receiver with oil to prevent adhesion of the filler with the metal. Fill the void, put on the receiver and let things cure. The excess filler can carefully shaped with a file after 24 hours. With such a small area to fill, an alternative is to put a piece of tape over the receiver end of the wood to make a dam. Fill the void and shape up things after a day. Make sure the filler is flush with the rest of the wood where it meets the receiver of the stock will split as the gun is shot.

If you have the tools and material, the job should be about 20 minutes of fun.

Pat Ireland

5. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Brownell's Acra-Glass.
    dju

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Acra-Glass or Devcon metal filler. Both can be color died to match the wood color that you are attempting to fill. Another way is to move the action back in the wood allowing wood in the front to reshape.

Dennis DeVault

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Not a real good picture but you'll get an idea where I need the filler.
    [​IMG]

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I think you are trying to show the wood is below the level of the receiver tang. Bondo would be the easiest remedy and would be hidden with paint. Bondo could crack from recoil where it meets the end of the tang. That area should be bedded with acraglas.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Jerry, that is what I am trying to show. It is the same way on the bottom. Mike.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Sand some wood off and mix it with Accra-glass until you have a have paste, the same color as the wood. Coat the receiver with past wax, then put a little of the liquid glass where you want to put the made-up-paste. Squish the paste in, and you've got a fix. Sand down after it dries and you've got the same color as the wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.