1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bed liners

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by oletymer, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oletymer

oletymer Member

Plus one for the sprayed liners. The slip in ones do allow things to slide around and are noisey.

2. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

I've had slide in plastic liners rubber matts and spray in, in my last 2 pickup's, my son just had a spray in done in his. Untill they come out with something better I won't consider any thing but spray in.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

a $75 bed mat works for me. I have had 8 new trucks in the last 20 years and have tried all of the items mentioned. The bed mat is my choice. You will need one anyway even with a liner or spray in to keep things from slipping around

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I've had great luck with a Line-X spray in kind. Pricey, however. A very good alternative is a "poor man's" Line-X; consider Zolotone which is a water based paint that was used a good deal in GM (and maybe other) cars for years. Works quite well, tough stuff, but not bedliner or Line-X tough...

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I put a Penda liner in my new GMC, $231 installed. The spray ons are ok until they chip or break, then try to get it patched. The Penda has a lifetime warranty vs no warranty from the spray on guys. I have had 5 liners in new trucks and have yet to have one rust under the liner.

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Aside from having seen drop in bed liners on the side of the freeway, I understand that due to slipping and vibration which abraids the paint underneath, moisture also accumulates underneath doing further damage. Seems no liner at all would be better.

Robert

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

spray and then buy a rubber mat

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

BedRug and a Cover

9. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have a spray-in liner in my current truck. It seems to be OK, but I do have stains on the surface that I can't seem to get rid of. I had a drop-in plastic liner in my '93 for 15 years, and did not have rust under it when I traded it in. Items in the plastic liner would slide around more than in the spray-in though. I think the next time I will go with a mat. If that is all you are going to have in the bed Jon, a mat may be just fine. You could save the extra money for trapshooting.

10. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

My Dad and several of my friends went with the Spray On Liner. I really like them, but my approach is a heavy rubber mat and if and when the bed gets so scratched and beat up I can't stand i, then I will have it sprayed. Two trucks and 150,000 miles and I haven't spent the money. By the tine the bed gets to looking really bad, so does the truck and it would be like putting a diamond in a goat's a$$.

I haul my Labs in the back of the truck and have put a cheap piece of rug in to keep the mat from burning their feet. Both mat and rug come out for hosing down. BTW, before I start getting replies about the dangers of dogs in the bed, I use dog boxes for long trips.

HBT

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rhino Liner (Hardline) has worked great in my 2004 GMC. Things don't slide around. Stands up to abrasive loads. Put it in when the truck is new. I had mine sprayed over the sides so my bed cover (Undercover) hides the liner.

We have had three GMC pickups (mine and my two sons) done and all have been great!

Jim Skeel

12. Mike

Mike Member

I've had all three, spray on, drop in, and rubber mat. IMHO spray in Rhino Liner gets my vote. When I sold my last truck I pulled the drop in liner it was scratched up pretty bad underneath with some surface rust, things were always slipping around on it. I think a rubber pad is 2nd best. Mik

13. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Another vote for the spray on liner. Kim :)

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Bed liners expand and contract with the temperature rubbing off the paint underneath. Vibration probably contributes. . I have a mat on top of the liner because it is so slippery. But it does prevent sheet metal damage. I wouldn't get one unless you plan to haul big rocks or gravel. Spray in liners won't prevent impact damage.

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bed Rug...especially for a shooter.

Anything else is 2nd class or lower!

Curt

16. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Do what we do, unbolt your bed, set it in your yard. Put a big black flatbed on your truck. Your bed will be perfect when you sell the pick-up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.