1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Because I hold ny shotgun with both hands

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

On the advice of Bill G. I went looking this weekend for a pair of golf gloves to use when shooting.

I went to a golf specialty store and asked to be shown the gloves. I was taken to a large rack, and to my surprise almost all the packages had gloves only for the left hand. Moreover, the packages with right hand gloves did not match the style or color of the left hand gloves. I asked if there were any packages with both left and right hand gloves and the store clerk asked me why. I told him, "Because I hold my shotgun with both hands." You should have seen his jaw drop. He would not have been more surprised if I had grown a second head. In the whole time he had been working at the store nobody had ever asked for a pair of golf gloves.

True story.

Guess this is what I get for living in New Jersey.

By the way, the leather golf gloves I got are the nicest gloves I have ever seen.

Lou

I confess that I answered the clerk in a way to maximize the shock value.

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's too late, but baseball batting gloves are well suited to the task too.

3. Bushmaster1313

At the big box sporting good store I went to first I did not like the fit of the batting gloves, but that is a good suggestion.

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I found a really nice pair of BMX biking gloves to use. I'm hoping that wearing them will reduce the callous formation.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Bushmaster,

I also reside in New Jersey but I don't know if you can call it "living"!

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Golf gloves are very nice but they don't hold up to the drying out from sweating very well. Check out the Gun Glove. www.grrrgear.com They come in both summer and winter weights and a couple of colors. They also let your hands breathe.

Eric

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

So Lou, do your gloves match?

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Golf gloves do come in pairs. Ask for light weight winter gloves. Titlist and others make them with Gore-Tex or Thinsulate or both. They are not much good for a four hour round of golf in cold weather, but great for a round of shooting. Wayne

9. Bushmaster1313

They almost match.

Same manufacturer and style. But the color is slightly off and although there were many left gloves I could only find a right glove that was a bit small. Shooting lefty this is okay but not ideal.

P.S. I wanted light colored gloves so that the black dye would not rub into the checkering of my light brown 37T.

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Ahhhh I needed a good laugh this morning!

11. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I tried boxing gloves but my scores seem to suffer.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you shoot a release the golf glove will slow the trigger let-off some. But whatever you do, get a release sticker fo ryour gun. Liability, you know.

13. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I use a pair of Redhead XPS pseudo-work gloves I found at Bass Pro last year. White and black in color, mostly leather. Had XXXL for my large hands.

Phil

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I use golf gloves on the off hand only so I can buy without embarrassing the clerks but I certainly have seen them in pairs too. My golf gloves have lasted longer than the Bob Allen gloves and I've tried several other options, including batting gloves and the Gun Glove without finding an improvement. Just my take....Bob Dodd

15. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Bushmaster1313,

I am like you and use a glove on both hands when shooting ALL the sports with my shotgun. I found that the Academy Sports and Outdoors stores here in Texas carries BOTH the left and right hand gloves and they match. I know some say the golf gloves do not hold up to hard use, but i buy 2 or 3 PAIR and use them til they get damp abd then change to a dry pair while the ones I was using dry out as well. I find that their "entry" level golf glove ($4.95 each) work pretty well and buy them in 3 to 4 pair at a time, so they all match. I have a pair of the black "Gun Gloves", but I have a tendancy to like the leather golf gloves better, because of the thinner feel and I feel I have more control with them. I do like the Gun Gloves when the weather gets colder down here in South Texas (maybe a weeka year, LOL). Check out some of the specialty outdoor stores that carry a lot of golf equipment and you should find what you need.

I got the funniest looks myself, when trying on gloves for BOTH hands and the salesperson didn't see a lot of "golfers" that wore gloves on both hands. I told him NO problem, I wasn't a golfer anymore, I needed them for my competition shotguns. You should have seen the look on his face.

Good luck.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skett and Trap Club

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

I use the Bob Allen shooting gloves available in most Wal-Marts or on line from most of the shooting stores. They have a pseudo suede hand and are vented for summer wear plus they come in pairs but only one color (black). While I like leather I have found that after a while of sweating in them THEY STINK as do leather hats and hatbands. If left in your vehicle they will make it smell nasty in very short order.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.