1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beavercreek man helps kids get started in trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Beavercreek man helps kids get started in trapshooting

By Jim Morris - Staff Writer - DaytonDailyNews.com

XENIA — Dave Schock grew up in a shooting family. He says the tradition of hunting goes back to his great-grandfather and beyond.

His father started Schock and his two brothers, Dale and Dan, in the sport of trapshooting. Dan became one of the top competitive shooters in Ohio.

While Dave enjoys shooting, he also likes teaching trapshooting to youngsters, introducing them to the sport that has brought so much pleasure to his family.

Last weekend, Dave, his brother Dale and a number of volunteers hosted a trapshooting clinic at the Greene County Fish & Game Club, attracting 30 boys and girls in grades 5 through 12.

The kids came from all over the Miami Valley. Some had never held a shotgun, but they learned the basics and safety rules of trapshooting, and before the morning was over, all were shooting at clay targets.

Dave, 54, who lives in Beavercreek, has been teaching trapshooting for several years. He also coaches the Greene County club's Scholastic Clay Target Program team, which has won several state championships and one national championship.

Following the clinic, Dave talked about trapshooting:

Q When you have a group of 30 youngsters in a clinic, some of whom have never even held a shotgun, what is the most important thing you try to get across?

A Safety. That's always the No. 1 thing we talk about and stress over and over. Things like keeping the gun pointed in the right direction, not carrying a loaded gun and keeping their fingers off of the trigger until it's their turn to shoot.

Q What gives you the most satisfaction about teaching trapshooting?

A Even with my own kids, it's always fun to see them hit targets and progress. It's something when they hit their first target and their eyes really light up. Then as they hit more and more, they become enthusiastic about trapshooting.

Q What do you say to people out there who are upset about children shooting guns?

A I have never had anybody say anything negative to me about teaching trapshooting to young kids. If they did, I would ask them to come out here to see what we are doing, how we stress safety and respect for firearms. Then, I think they would understand. I know some politicians say firearms have no place in society, and it's just not true. There are many different shooting sports for people to enjoy. Those who aren't interested should at least be informed.

Q How has your program changed since you started in 2002?

A When we started SCTP, almost all of the youngsters came from shooting families, so they knew all about shooting shotguns even before they came to me. But now, I'd say about half of our shooters on the teams come from non-shooting families ... which I think is a good thing. We want to teach them how to do things the right way, right from the beginning.

Q To you, what's the best thing about the sport of trapshooting?

A Trapshooting is something they can do for the rest of their lives. You don't have to be big and strong or smart. Anybody can do it. And when you see a young person get better and better, you can tell it really helps with confidence. And that helps them as they grow up, not just in trapshooting, but also in life.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2409 or jmorris@DaytonDailyNews.com.
  2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Thank you for this post, Joe. I sent an email to the reporter:

Hi, Jim...

I just wanted to thank you for the nice article on the man that is teaching the kids to trapshoot. It was really nice to see that in the paper yesterday. We could use a few more interesting outdoor activites in order to get today's kids away from the computers and televisions.

We also need more citizens like Dave Schock who take the time to introduce kids to new and interesting things to do. I hope I get to meet him one day.

Devi Rathod
  3. ouch

ouch Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The Schock family are first class people. It is a great pleasure watching them work with the kids. Richard
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

teaching trapshooting to kids