1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beautiful Model 31 Remington F/S

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by nitro 100, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

This gun belongs to a fellow shooter. It is a fully engraved model 31. It has been fired and is in exellent condition. Email me for pictures. Price is 3800 plus shipping to yout ffl. Thanks.

Jerry Nickell

2. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

pics sent

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

4. Herman63

Herman63 Member

0   0   0

Nice gun....

Must have been a rare calm day at middletown :)

Herman63

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

What kind of rib is that?

That is one very nice 31!

ss

6. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I will check with the owner on the rib. Thanks.

Jerry

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Looks like it may be a Moneymaker rib.

8. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I checked withthe owner. It is a model 31 TRAP and it is all Remington including the rib. No alterations on the gun. LOp is 14 1/2". Thanks.

Jerry

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

Jerry,

Your friend may want to look into the rib matter further. I don't think it is a factory 31 rib as they were machined out of the same hunk of steel as the barrel (at least on all the 31's I've personally viewed).

To my eye it looks to be a Herters, but a more knowedgeable person than I will chime in on the matter.

ss

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Definitely not a factory rib.

This is what they look like.

[​IMG]

Very nice looking gun anyway.

11. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I only know what the owner told me. He said it was all Remington. I do not know. Thanks.

Jerry

12. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

The 31 is a TRAP grade not a build up. I can't imagine a trap grade not coming with a rib. Thanks.

Jerry

13. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Ross and Rickn,
    I am curious now. I am going to call Remington tomorrow and give them the serial #. I will see if they can tell me anything about the gun. I will post tomorrow what I am told. Thanks.

Jerry

14. f18

f18 Member

0   0   0

Simmons Rib

15. eightbore

0   0   0

All Model 31 vent ribs from the factory were machined as part of the barrel forging and not extended over the receiver. The last poster is correct in reminding us that Simmons also made a rib that extended to the back of the receiver, but the stands for the rib do not resemble Simmons stands. The stands are similar to those that Moneymaker used. There is no sin in a Moneymaker rib, but the pictured rib on the engraved gun is such a rib, not a Remington factory rib. The gun offered is probably a field grade 31 converted into a vent rib trap gun and engraved and restocked. No big deal, it is still a wonderful gun with a lot of work on it.

16. eightbore

0   0   0

I would be curious about the answer you receive from Remington. They make guns up at Ilion, they are not historians. You will get more historic information on this website than from the Remington factory, and the folks at Ilion would be glad to confirm that information. The RSA website forum may give you information about the 31 also. By the way, skeet model 31s also came with the forged and machined vent rib as did the TC grades. Moneymaker ribs were the greatest aftermarket ribs ever made. Post some pictures of the top of the rib so we can give you more information.

17. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I am waiting for the people at remington to get me some more info. I talked to a couple of different people on the gun. The gun was made in 1934. Of course there was no computers in that era. Records were kept on paper. There is a gentleman that has been in the custon shop for almost 50 yars and is getting with the gentleman in the remington historical society. They will email or call me tomorrow. I will have the owner get me some pics of the top of the rib. Gun is suppose to be a trap and not a build up. I will keep updates as I get them. Thanks.

Jerry Nickell

18. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I have talked to several people at Remington. They all agree that the gun was made in 1934. One of the older guys in the Custom shop thinks it looks like the engraveing of a German that was an engraver there. There is no records from back in that era. I am trying to get in touch with a gentleman from the Remington Historical Society. Remington tells me he could give me more info than anyone. They also said to engrave a gun like this one would cost a small fortune today. The owner will entertain offers. Istill can not tell you for sure whose rib it is. Herters was mentioned from the factory as it was in an above post. Thanks.

jerry Nickell

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I wonder who used to do the work for Herter's. I had one of their "finest and greatest wide rib that draws your eye right to the target". I remember I didn't keep it long. Their catalog was sure some enjoyable reading. :)

20. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.