1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beau, My Black Lab Left Me Today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Surferboy, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surferboy

Surferboy Member

One great gun dog, and the greatest buddy a guy could have. He was a few months shy of 14, but like a pup until recently. I miss his head in my lap already. Beau's dad, Steve

2. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Sorry to hear of Beau's passing Steve. I know how you feel being there several times myself......they're family.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

3. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Sorry for your loss. I have a 11 year old Black Lab. He too is part of our family.

4. Carl7650

Carl7650 TS Member

I know how you fell Steve.Sorry to here that.
    It took me 2 years to replace my last dog.
    Just remember the good time and the love,,,it will make ya smile.
    Carl

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Steve, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your buddy. Like Dave said above, they are family and us lovers of dogs feel your pain. Hap

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Sorry for your loss. Our pets are much more than that, they are a friend that know our feelings. They know how to make us smile or cheer us up. I know that you will miss that but remember the fun times together. Jackie B.

7. Juno

Juno TS Member

I'll never replace my last dog. He's not replacable, so I won't even try. Sorry for your loss.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Steve been there done that more than once and I have one now thats slipping downhill pretty fast now, I hate it and know what your going through, Last time I lost one I replaced him pretty quick, you may not think so right now but I feel it helped, got my mind off my loss, his name was Truck and I can get teared up just thinking about him even now and he's been gone almost two years. sorry for your loss, its tough.

Rick

9. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

Hope you find comfort in this

Sorry for your loss but the vet gave me this at one time

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Travis

10. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Heartfelt condolences.

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I also have 2 Labs soon to be 11 (Aug), one Black one Yellow. The yellow has the best temprament but has bad hips. The Black is holding up better.

I heard that the Choclates and Yellows are Gene mutations and dont endure as good as the Blacks????

I had Springers for quite a few years but I think its hard to beat Labs.

Sorry for your loss.

Regards....Gerald

12. Bitter American

Bitter American TS Member

Sorry for the loss. My Yellow lab Bauer is 12 and has bad hips. When it is his time to go I know he had one heck of a great life. I'm sure yours has had one also. I hope you will find comfort in that. If people had labs temperments this would be a next to a perfect world.

13. Bubba

Bubba Member

Sorry to hear about your loss.

14. Surferboy

Surferboy Member

Travis, thanks for the Rainbow Bridge web site. I just now posted a story there I wrote a few years ago about Beau and labs the military used in Vietnam.

I enjoy reading pet stories, so this site will help me get thru the coming days. It sure is strange sitting here at the computer w/o his big brown eyes looking up at me. Thanks for your shared feelings guys. I may have to wait 15 or 20 years before I get one more lab - I'd like one of my labs to outlive me.

I'm glad my other main hunting partner, my son, was just home for 2 weeks leave from the Army and could be with his best friend one last time. Steve

15. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Steve,

Very sorry to hear of Beau's passing. He was truly a great dog and hunting companion.

--Dan

16. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

So Sorry,they leave such an imprint on our lives.Jack

17. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Sorry to hear about your loss they are so much a part of the family, and some time understand you more than anyone else. Maybe try to get another one the hard thing is not comparing them to the first. That's why I want to move to another breed. I had a Springer for 16 yrs and she was my baby. I had others since but, they were only half the dog dixie was!!! Good Luck and God Bless!!

18. breakingclays99

breakingclays99 Member

Steve,
    I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Reading your post makes me want to share my story:

When I was 5 years old (just starting kindergarten) by parents bought me a black lab, who we named Gypsy. Her and I did everything together, not just hunting; we grew up together. She was there through every big event in my life. But towards the end of my junior year of high school, I woke up to find her in the kitchen at her food bowl, but she wouldn't eat (highly unusual for her). We soon found that she couldn't walk. It was all so very sudden.

The next morning, I went to school, and that was the last I saw her. My parents hadn't told me, but they were taking her to the vet that day. When I came home, I knew exactly what had happened. I can still picture everything so vividly.

My only wish was that she could've been around for my high school graduation. Seeing me through kindgarten thru 11th grade just doesn't seem complete, but that's the way life goes.

I haven't replaced her. Maybe I'll get another someday. Maybe I won't. It's funny how much we treasure our dogs - they're just like family. Judging by the amount of tears I had typing this, I'm not ready for another dog, and this all happened over 3 years ago.

Be strong

--Melissa

19. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

So sorry to hear of the loss of Beau.

I put my 1st lab down over 2 years ago(13 years old) and I still miss her. I now have a 9 year old yellow whose sole mission in life is to find pheasants. I will never own anything but a lab.

It was nice to have had another there when the 1st left us. Get another dog soon! They need to give out just as much love as you need. Each dog is different but you will create a bond of a lifetime with each one.

Tim

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I share your sense of loss Steve. It's like a piece of your own soul has been torn away from you and you are no longer complete. Still we who have loved them are more complete in our loss than those pitiable folks who haven't the depth to understand. Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.