1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEAR SAUSAGE ????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poacherjoe, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

If anyone has a GOOD recipe for bear sausage that you are willing to share please do!!!

2. gotbass

gotbass Member

How to catch a bear.
    Cut a hole in the ice.
    Put peas all around the hole.
    When the bear comes to take a pea, kick him in the ice hole.

3. th445

th445 TS Member

Go to the bear sausage web site .

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are many fine recipes for bear sausage. In fact, bears will eat about any kind of sausage you make. Make a bunch of bear sausage, go into the woods and sit bare on a pile of bear sausage and they will come to you for dinner.

Pat Ireland

PS- Bears are happy eating people but people eating bears are usually disappointed. I was.

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Do you know why Grizzly shit smells like Pepper Spray?

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Google "bear sausage recipe" and you will find some.

I didn't read them but all probably require removing the claws before grinding the sausage to avoid chipping a tooth.

Rollin

7. DJM

DJM Member

Smoked Country Sausage

7 lbs. lean bear meat,
    5 lbs. pork trimmings,
    5 Tbs. salt,
    2 ½ Tsp. Prague powder (cure),
    5 Tbs. corn syrup solids,
    2 Tbs. ground coriander,
    4 Tbs. black pepper,
    1 Tsp. nutmeg,
    1 ½ tsp garlic powder,
    1 ½ tsp ground mustard,
    1 pint ice water,

Grind meat through a 3/16” plate. Add dry seasonings and mix. Add ice water, continue mixing until all spices are dispersed.
    Stuff into hog casings, twist into links, hang in smoke house. Dry for one hour at 135 Deg. Smoke 3-4 hours at 135. Cool.

This smoke house cycle will not cook the sausages, treat as raw meat when cooking. Don

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Seriously........Bear is the BEST wild game I have EVER tasted! Shot a bear and an elk in the same day back in '79. Had the bear hind quarters cut into grilling steaks....cooked up a few ,and man that was good....much better than beef or buff. Why make sausage out of something thats better eaten as a steak?

9. gotbass

gotbass Member

Hipshot -Your butcher must have mismarked the elk and the bear because bear is greasy and tastes like mutton.

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Gotbass......I had always thought that to, but what I ate war BEAR! And it war GOOD! To mix pork with game meat kills everything.....might as well go to the store and just eat pork. Why do hunters do that?....if they REALLY don't like the taste of wild game, why not just say so?

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had some Cariboo (SP) the other day, fresh from Alaska. I was surprised it was very good. The cook just fried it in Olive Oil. And I don't care for Deer Meat.

12. DJM

DJM Member

I am still undecided on bear, Ive had good and not so good. I have heard from various sources that one must get the hide off the bear quickly to get good meat. Else it just takes too long to cool as that hide is such a good insulator. The Minn. DNR stresses this info to all the bear hunters.

Wild big game is just too darn lean to make good link style sausages. Country sausage, brats, hot dogs, Polish sausage etc all benefit flavor wise from fat content, hence the added pork. Summer sausage, thuringer, salami etc can be made with wild game meat containing less or no added pork. And of course excellant jekey can be made from sliced game meat.

13. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Just for a change, I will apologize before I write. I have hunted a couple of those guys and they can make a nice rug but if you want sausage, try Jimmy Dean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.