1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bear attacks: Hand-to-paw combat recommended

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    As found elsewhere on the Internet. What a loon.<br>
    <br>
    "You might want to pick up and read the book Surviving Bear Attacks. I do not remember the author's name. He is a wildlife biologist for the USFS in Alaska. He offers different strategies for Griz versus Black Bears and bears is "predator mode" versus other conditions.<br>
    <br>
    He discourages firearms believing that most people, other than combat veterans, cannot draw or shoulder, aim, and fire acurately fast enough under the duress of a charging bear. He suggests carrying the largest stabbing weapon you can handle. Black Bears do not generally kill their prey prior to feeding. Their approach is to sit on or stand on their prey and feed on the stomach and intestines first before moving on to the muscle tissues. So, keep on stabbing until you either pass out or the bear moves off. Griz tend to break the neck or crush the skull of humans before dining. So, at least your worries are over (kind of like dealing with the Internal Revenue Service, in my experience)."

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I still say pull out the 454 aND START BLASTING.....BUT DON'T MISS!!!

3. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

bring someone else who runs slower than you Jon

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Or, you can take care of the job as this guy did.

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have a better idea. Bring the asshole who wrote the book and have him show you how to take care of a charging bear. Problem solved.

6. incognito

incognito TS Member

Not walnut............ deadwood! hahahahahahaha

7. cmh

cmh Member

Well, hand to paw sounds like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Seeing how I am to old for fist fights anymore I would just say call up smith and wesson. Preferably in the 44 mag or 500 S&W persuasion...............

8. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Shoot the Bear, reload, shoot it again. 44 Mag.

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Early start for the Darwin Award?

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I was always told that you should stick your thumb in their ass. They HATE that.

Tron.

11. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Standard issue for Alaskan Rangers in bear territory is Rem 870 loaded with slugs.

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Tron, G**(ammit. you owe me a keyboard. 'Bout laughed my ass off on that one.

Well, living in Alaska...I've seen my share of bears. Been within 20 feet of live ones on two occasions, and within 9 feet (measured, with witnesses) once. The 9 feet one was pretty interesting...I woke up and sat up to find him looking in my tent door.

If you've never sat flat on the ground and looked UP into a grizzly's eyes as he's on all fours, it's an experience.

I had a loaded .40 on a net - hanging right above my sleeping bag. I didn't even try to grab it. I looked at the bear, the bear looked at me, and he turned and ran. I went back to sleep. God's truth...I laid back down and went to sleep. I'm still not sure why.

My neighbor was charged by a grizzly while he was packing on a sheep hunt for a friend...they got between the sow and her cubs by accident. The friend shot the sow, but said that the bear was so close he had John AND the bear in the field of view at the same time. That was documented in the Anchorage Daily News.

I think if one of those bears gets ahold of you, you'd better say your Hail Marys...you're likely to meet your maker. And if you don't, you might just wish you had. I think they can hurt you worse on accident than most animals or people could on purpose. They have serious claws and teeth. And they're strong beyond belief. And FAST.

I carry a gun...but I'm just hoping to take the edge of his appetite on the way to the table.

jeff

13. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

They say pepper spray will stop a bear...just stand your ground until he gets close enough, then with your little pinkie...psssssssst.

Yeah, right.

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I gained a lot of respect for their strength while on my trip to Alaska a few years ago. I saw boulders the size of Volkswagons rolled over just to get at the gophers beneath them.

OH!!!...the crap piles during blueberry season....there's enough "filling" there to do 25 pies!!!

15. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

On Kodiak the native kids use to carry a steel beer or coke can with gravel in it shook it all the way to school during calve seasion sow would hear and move cubs away no surprize and and no charging you Jon Oh steel can does date me was there 1957 to 1960

16. trap41

trap41 TS Member

In Alaska, I was told, you may carry a large caliber pistol as protection against Bear Attacks, but make sure that you file the front bead off.

The reason:

if you do encounter a bear and the bear swipes the pistol, it wont hurt as much when he put it up your Axx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hand to hand combat bear