1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beam scale needed.

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Shooting Jack, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have a friend that is just starting to reload and he need an inexpensive scale and I recommended a beam scale. He asked that I see if there was one for sale on here. I had seen one but couldn't find the listing and the ones I found were sold already. If you have one please email me or pm me. Thanks Jackie B.

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Mash on the above link. That should be just the ticket for his needs at a price that anyone can afford..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

0   1   0

If I were your friend the scale is to important part of reloading to mess around with. If the scale is off you could blow up a gun. Buy a new new one and be safe.

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

0   0   0

A good scale is worth the price. $100 will buy a very nice scale. Your friend will spend many times that amount in his reloading career. If he's going to cut corners it should be on every other aspect of reloading, not the scale.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

whats to wear out on a beam scale??? I have several used ones, in fact I collect them and I have never had one that could not be used reliably

6. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

0   0   0

Lee makes the best, most reliable, simple beam scale there is and it's about 25 bucks. Anything more is not required.

7. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

0   0   0

Another testimonial for the Lee scale. They are every bit as accurate as my more expensive Ohause scale. You can't beat them for weighing powder charges.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Are you interested in an RCBS 505? $40 delivered.
    barrelbulge_2008_21088.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_21089.jpg

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks for your help. At 78 years old he just needed something simple and inexpensive. Thanks again. Jackie B.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

0   0   0

Nothing wrong with the balance beams, Jackie. BUT make sure he/you understand that the zero should be checked any time the scale is moved even a few inches on the bench. Always start with a zero reading then work with the wanted drops without moving the scale around or the readings MAY be off.....breakemeall....Bob Dodd

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Good advice Bob you are absolutely correct. Small change of position can change the setting. Bulge.

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

0   0   0

What's to wear out on a beam scale??? The knife edges.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

0   0   0

He he I have both of those scales. The one that trap2 refers to is the one I bought in 1960.The one BB shows is the one that I bought a few years ago.

You can calibrate a scale with some new dimes.

One new dime = 34.99977 grains (call it 35 grains for all practical purposes)

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

0   1   0

I had a RCBS 304 go bad on me. It wouldn't level out on 0. I had to send it back to Ohause. They did what ever they do and it was fine there after. They do go bad from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.