1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beads in line..XT patterns to the left...now what?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I have a nice Browning XT, 32" trap gun.

I reciently started shooting trap doubles and noticed that the last bird..especially if it was a straight away shot seemed to chipping on the left side, or even miss occasionally.

None of my shots have really been ink balls lately, so I decided to pattern the gun.

The way the comb and adj. recoil pad is set now ...(mind you I have 63 year old eyes so they really don't focus on the middle bead very well), but with what looks like beads in line to me...the gun patterned 1/2 of the pattern to the left of center. Hasn't been a noticeable problem till I started shooting doubles....especially on the second long shot if it gets nearly to the stake before I shoot....

Again I discovered the pattern was off center by 1/2 the pattern to the left. (...using Full choke at 27 yards and 7 1/2 shot).

I imagine I can adjust the comb/eye over to the left and likely move the poi a little to the right. Is that the only way to help this...is it even an acceptable way to help this??

What to do??

Best regards..Stan

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

What does the other barrel do and what happens with different choke tubes. Have you tried to read the barrel rings by putting a deprimed 12 ga empty in the chamber and a deprimed 20 ga empty in the bore and holding it up to a light source. A true barrel will show perfectly concentric rings.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Make sure to pattern the gun from a benchrest...barrel or forestock resting on something stable. Have someone else that the gun fits do the same thing. Eliminate the shooter's style as a cause.

Keller

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Th check if the barrel shoots where the rib (beads) point:

Shoot it from a rest at 16 yards with a full choke.

Wear reading glasses if you must to align the beads with the target. You want to shoot it like a rifle focusing on the "front sight" and not the aiming point.

Try different chokes.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. tom90T

tom90T Member

If your pattern is to the left of center target then you should move your comb to the right in order to bring the center pattern to the center. I suggest just moving the comb about 1/8" to the right to start. Shoot this on paper to check the results. Tom

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Make sure that you holding the gun straight up and down, you can still see the beads aligned while the gun is cocked left or right. You would have to point the empty gun at someone who will see if you are cocking it to the left.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

REMOVE the middle bead!! Then move the comb as needed until the pattern is centered left and right on your front bead.

--- Chip King ---

8. StansCustoms

Mike ...both barrells shoot to the left of center exactly the same. ...and no I haven't tried the hulls in the gun thing yet.

Keller...good idea to have someone else shoot the pattern board for me to see if the results are the same. I did use a upright adjustable pipe rest that we have at our club..so I was steady....as steady as I get anyway.

Jim...I was using full choles...but from a 27 yard rest. I thought I would have better idea this way ..since the long shot is where this has reared its ugly head. Should I still shoot a test from 16 yards?

Tom...exactly correct, Move the comb to the right, I had my wires crossed ..thanks. Is this the only cure if the gun really is shooting off center?? ....which I'm pretty darn sure it is.

Tool Maker...I thought of that but both top and bottom barrells hit the same...and ...well I'll double check.

Everyone...If the gun really is shooting off center then what...???

9. StansCustoms

Bummer! That's what I thought...Chip...

But was hoping some of that "Rib Restore" was still available, made by Black Magic. Inc....or even better a couple of ounces of "Right Hand Bore Warp" from Spock Enterprise, LLC.

I use both beads to see if I'm in position when I set up...but never look at it after that.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Try different tubes first

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Aim farther to the right!

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

This happened to one of my squadmates a few years ago. The gun now belongs to someone else, at a very low price. Bill

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a gun that shoots straight. HMB

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Briley will make offset tubes to correct the problem if you want to keep the gun.

That is if the problem is in the gun. I would try one of the lazer sighting aids to see for sure where the POI is n addition to the methods discused here.

HM

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If true, send it back to Browning and be prepared for a long wait!!

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've encountered a similar issue. Browning doesn't expect their barrels to all shot dead on. I'm gonna confidently hazard a guess that if it's only a half pattern off at 27 yards, Browning will declare it "within acceptable tolerances" and send it back untouched... sometime next year.

Keller

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Have the stock bent to the right by a competent gunsmith.
    Generally costs in the area of 200.00

18. warren

warren Member

Bench rest the gun to pattern it with one eye closed to make sure you are not crossfiring. Shooting to the left for a right handed shooter is an indication of your left eye trying to take over

warren

19. StansCustoms

Warren...you may be right...I have had an episode or two of left eye dominance, but rare.

After spending a half day in 100 plus temps at the gun club, I seem to have been able to get the gun on target.

I had to move the comb a 1/4" to the right of even...and moved the recoil pad down and two the right with a little left twist.

I also used some old glasses...same script but old. May have helped some there I don't know...but they did help see the center bead a little better. Maybe I just thought I had it centered...??

As mentioned earlier..I haven't had a problem up till now ...or at least I didn't think I had one on short yardage. But I was clipping the left side of the 2nd. target as it neared the pin on Trap doubles....and completely missing it sometimes. I'm new at doubles ..but singles and 19 yard handicap in our Saturday Club shoot has been good...hence the reason I was really surprised that I was blowing out badly on the second bird in doubles.

After about two hours of tweaking and then shooting 2/3 hundred rounds...I finally mustered up "one" 47...yipee!! Dang site better than a 36 I shot two days ago...!!!

So maybe the issue is at least manageable. I'm hammered today and hoping that it will go as well tomorrow with some 40(+)'s again. If it does...then I'm on my way.

Thanks to everyone for the help...what a swell bunch we have here...!!

Best regards..Stan

20. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I don't know your location, but if all else fails, and you are within 80-100 miles of Cincinnati, Oh., try one of the best kept secrets of the local clubs...............LOUIE MORGAN..........

Louie has helped many of our local shooters with their over-all shooting. This includes gun fit, stance, mounting, etc..

All aspects of shooting and shooting properly.

Louie will really take his time with you, but from there it is up to you to take his advice.

Recently, Louie worked with a local shooter who was struggling. He traded guns, different shells, added ribs, and changed combs, but was still shooting Big 50s in the low 30s!

Louie worked with him, found his pattern was WAY off to the side because he was cross-firing with the less dominant eye, and started working on changes.

A few rounds later, and making a one-eyed shooter of him, and he ran his first 25 for a long time. He wound up with a 98/100 singles I believe.

He came to the club for Big 50s last night, and broke a 49 and 47 in singles/handicap, respectively, and the smile was back.

Anyone needing help should let Louie Morgan help them through their shooting problems, as I believe Louie has the credentials and experience to improve your scores.

Thanks again, Louie

Rush Co. Cons. Club

Rushville, In.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.