1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beadblasting a scratched SS Ljutic...?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FN in MT, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Anyone have any experience beadblasting the barrel of a stainless Ljutic mono gun?? I would like to remove some scratches on the barrel and the sides of the receiver.

My beadblast cabinet can easily handle the barrel,so size isn't a problem. Needless to say I can dissasemmle beforehand as well as mask off areas not needing some beadblasting.

I'm going to try low volume and low PSI initially....then work my way up if needed, to get the results I want.

FN in MT

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You should be fine. I bead blast quite often, barrels prior to shipping off for matt bluing.

I know you know this, but remove the beads, ejectors, etc.

Whiz

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The finish will vary with the media used. I like to use fine glass beads on stainless.

4. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I used 60 psi and it worked VERY well. ALL of the minor scratches on the barrel are gone. Looks like a nearly new Mono Gun now. I've beadblasted a few handguns in the past as well as a few rifle barrels. A blast cabinet is a very handy tool for the gun nut!!

FN

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

You can make it look new or even better with the proper size glass beads. The bead size used determines more than anything what it will look like. Start with a very fine beads on a test area and see how well it matches, coarser beads cover finer beads but not the other way. Pressure used and distance can fine tune but the beads are the main thing. Although expensive Brownells has some very fine glass beads that will put anything from a gray to a sprarkling finish on. When you are done clean with soap and water or something like cut down simple green, you can't get all the beads off just with air or solvents, and especialy don't trust taped off areas not to have beads in them, beads get in everything and everywhere. Rusting is not an issue with most stainless. Glass beads tend to close up the metal pores which is the best choice for the stainless, aluminum oxide tends to open them up which is good for bluing or painting.

6. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

ccw1911...... My beads are VERY fine grained, originally made for use on jewelry. Your 100% correct the SIZE of the beads, PSI used, as well as COARSNESS can really affect the finish. Once saw a M-70 action that was "beadblasted" in a homemade cabinet with BEACH SAND from a small bucket type sandblaster!!!! Didn't turn out quite as well as the Ljutic did!!

FN

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

ccw1911, You mentioned a gray finish on stainless. I have tried with no success to get the gray seen finish on S&W and other makes. High pressure, low pressure I can't do it. I have two sizes of glass beads from Brownells and have used various other media but I can't get the gray plastic looking finish on stainless. What is the technique used?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.