1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bead-to-bird relationship

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Do one-eyed trap shooters see a bead-to-bird relationship? Fire away...

Jon Reitz

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Not the successful ones.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Yes, and look for a PM. The rib and bead appear solid to a one eyed shooter instead of semi transparent but you have to hold a lower gun over the trap house or else your barrel will block your on/shoulder eye from seeing the target leave the house. I'm sure Bill will chime in with his XDSolution gadget but even he has admitted to me that you cannot hold a high gun with the gadget.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If you are not going to be aware of that big long black thing in front of your eyeball, (the barrel) you might as well shoot from the hip. It's in your vision and your brain takes it into account, not matter how much you think you can tell it to ignore that big long black thing in front of your eyeball. There is a relationship there, whether you want to admit it or not. Even when you steer a car, you do it in relationship to the feedback you are getting from your vision. Mark

5. spritc

spritc Active Member

Forget about the beads!

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

For me I know its there but it is so vaguely. As such I use the absolute smallest front n mid beads I can find. Yes I can be consistent/effective with no beads. But the holes ate there and I don't want to waste them.

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

8. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Here we go again! Geeeze......

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The bead bird relationship comes up quite often.

I've always wondered, if the front bead is so irrelevant, why has every shotgun manufacturer put them on the front of the muzzle for the last 130 years?

It's because you actually use/see them. Weather you want to admit it or not.

Wayne

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

what bead? it's 34" away, the bird is 35+ YARDS away

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . and?

Neil

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A few of you no-seeum-bead guys should partake of my version of shooting at night! You could win lots of cash, or lose a bunch?

HAP

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Its more like bird brain relationship.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Shoot night league, remove your beads and spray "flat black" on your barrel(pistol shooters use it to black out their sights). You'll eliminate 50% of the barrel reflection off the lights.

You'll have no refernce to your barrel or beads.

Good luck.

Mr. Voodoo

15. Setterman

Another thought.

You are on station 5. The hard rights are always wicked at this club.

You get a hard left. How do you know when to stop your gun, and get back to that bird?

16. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I reference the beads for the purpose of assuring my gun mount is correct. When calling for the bird my eyes are well above the barrel looking for my target. Once I have visually acquired the target my reaction is to shoot, the target breaks. If by chance, and it occasionally happens, I reference my beads in relation to the target, it's a miss.

Robert

17. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

"Everytime I'm aware of where the Beads at I miss". Yup! You looked at it! Be aware of where the Bead/Barrel is. LOOK..at the Bird!

"Backsighting"...Learn it, Live it, Love it!!!

To the Great Ones it's second nature. Some don't even know they are doing it because it is so natural to them. To the rest of us "it's a work in progress".

Ask a really good Annie Oakley shooter if you can take their beads off for them. Then run like hell!

YMMV,
    Jim

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way, if you notice anything else, but the rings on the bird, you are going to be lucky if you hit it. Period!

19. Setterman

I notice no one is answering my last question. How do you determine when to stop your gun going back to a hard left on 3, 4, or 5? If you're right handed, chances are you cheat your hold to the right of the center line.

What if a face wind picks up? How do you determine how high to swing or when to stop your swing and execute the shot? Now, you may have to shoot above the bird, or even covering it?

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you are concentrating on the bird like you should be, all else will adjust and complete the job, no matter how high, or how wide the bird is traveling.

If you are thinking about the wind while out on the line, the wind is going to win! You can't control the wind. You can only control what the wind is doing to your thoughts.

"Think with your intelligence, not your emotions!"

Search tags for this page
backsighting when shooting trap

bead target relationship

muzzle to birdrelationship