1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bead shooting ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I am a two eye shooter and was always able to hang in the 90s until some time now---I was having too many low scores and looking for some reasons---Some great shooters I shoot with gave their advice but to no avail---I think I tried everything but last two days I started paying more attention to the front bead and Wa-La---24s and 25s came back---I never was a bead shooter but the other day I looked at Kay Ohye's tape and at one part he says you have to touch the bird---I started wondering what he meant by touch the bird---touch with what?So I went out today touched the bird with the bead---Had a great day.

My ?? is--How many out there use the bead or am I going down the wrong path?

Thanks---sjb---

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Frank Little taught bird/bead relationship. I use his method. Bill

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Bill---I hope I am on to something---sjb---

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I use some bead almost all the time, a lot of bead quite a bit. I hang around at the top of A or bottom of AA. I like to be able to shoot without reference to the bead and when I was younger I could score well a lot of the time, but not any more - now I have to see what's happening or think I do.

Understand, sjb, that your post is a form of heresy to many here, probably many who don't shoot as well as you do, if they shoot at all. I've coached quite a few shooters and many seemed to have done better either just later or maybe as a result. The only coaching failures that stand out were the "instinctive" hardliners (IH).

NW: "You are just swinging the gun east and pulling the trigger. Many times you aren't even close. And look where the gun ends up! In the sky or in the dirt! Put the bead in front of the bird and shoot it and leave the damn gun there!"

IH:" I just didn't see the bird right that time."

NW: "See it/schmee it. Seeing it doesn't break it. Moving the gun to the right place when it goes off is what breaks it. Try that just for one shot.:

IH: "I can't hit them that way."

NW, thinking "Well you can't hit them the way you are shooting either." but saying instead "Just one shot. The bird comes out, you raise the bead to the bird, and shoot it. Briskly but not fast, under control every second. At least we will see if you have the vertical point-of-impact close."

IH "When I do that, I miss."

NW "Well maybe you don't have the gun shooting where you should."

IH "No, I'm just not seeing the bird today"

Return to beginning. As many times as you can take it.

Neil

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

LOL

Wonderful, Neil!

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Maybe that works for you ... but ... when I look at the bead or barrel ... I hear "LOST!"

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

I'm trying to get back to using the bead. The problem that I ran into with the other method was that when I did well it was all natural and easy but when I started missing I didn't have a clue what I was doing wrong. And a simple thing like gaining or losing 10 pounds can change that perfect fitting gun that you never needed to look at to see where it was shooting. A lot of very good shooters use the bead even some who won't admit it.

--- Chip King ---

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Ahab---I know you may be right but I am just missing too many just concentrating on the bird---I think my eyes track the bird but the gun is not in sink---I think I am looking over the bbl and not keeping the bbl on the bird.
    I found that today I concentrated on a bead - bird relationship and smashed 49 out of 50---Haven't done that for some time---Still searching---Thanks---sjb---

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

When K says touch the bird,what do you touch it with?---Your eyes--the bbl--the bead---What???

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Daro says you should be more aware of the bead than you might think necessary. Eyes should never be far from the bead...I think he is right.SMOKIT

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I always use the bead. Thats why it is there. But you need to know your guns POI to develop a bird-bead relationship. Tens of millions of shotguns have been sold in all different configurations, but one thing they all have.. is a front bead.

Wayne

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I guess thats right Wayne---I notice a lot of shooters put bigger and colored beads on---They must use them---sjb---

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Every target i have missed lacked one thing... a bead near it. Your eye can be looking anywhere it wants. that doesn't mean that is where your shot is going to go. your shot always goes where the bead is pointed, not where the eye is looking.

Like Daro's method of shooting. You keep the eye, the bead and the barrel together until you see the target and then take the whole group to the target. If you stay with the bead until you see the bird it's far easier to break the target because you are still in the gun. if you focus on seeing the target, the second it is late you will move your head or just your eye( EYE is enough)to look for the target which is not there.

Daro calls it looking for the not seeable and shooting something that is not shootable. The target becomes primary only after you have seen it leave the trap-house and pass your gun barrel.

The eye can be looking anywhere. The bead is the killer of targets. Not the eye.

Like YODA says... Do not trust your eyes... They can deceive you. Jeff

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

So far it looks like there is merit to bead shooting---This is the first positive feedback on using the bead---I've talked to some that took the bead off and thats what made me wonder---Still hoping to hear more---Thanks---sjb---

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Our eyes are physically not able to focus on the front sight and the bird at the same time. You can clearly see one or the other, but not both. The key is to look through (around) the bead and see the target clearly. Just concentrating on seeing the bird is an invitation to not get your head down properly or to lift your head. You can see the bird better with your head up.

On the rare occasions I shoot well, I mount my gun, see the bead and then shift my focus to the area just above the trap house without moving my head. Then I see the bird leave the house. My gun follows the bird and my finger fires the gun without any conscious thought by me.

Pat Ireland

16. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

anyone have a daro handy dvd they want to sell?

17. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Pat...

Amen.

Jim C

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I am still wondering what is meant by touch the bird---What do you touch it with---The bead---your eye---the bbl--???sjb---

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Pat,

Having something in focus may not necessary - I think that is the point they are making. Seeing without focusing.

Recall when you where shooting Master Class in Bullseye. You focused intently on the front sight - the target was a blur. Yet we hit the ten ring very consistently without focusing on the target. We were holding at 6:00 of the "blur".

You can see the bead without focusing on it. It will be a blur but it is there as a reference. That is why we KNOW the gun was pointed properly when we smoke a target. We can see the bird/bead relationship.

Very interesting thread.

I will try "rifle shooting" some targets this weekend. This could be me a solution to my pathetic HC scores.

Don Verna

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

You are right Vern---I see both---the bead and the bird---not so when I was focusing on the bird only---I really think my eyes were so focused on the bird that my gun (bead) was not in sink---When I tried to put the bead on the bird I had both in the sight picture---This is starting to make sense---I think your eyes will get stuck on the bird and the gun has not cought up---I just thik I am on to something that will work for me---Thanks---sjb---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bead shooters

trap shooting using the bead