1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bead- no bead- black bead- hi viz bead???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I read on here an interesting topic last week about the color of the front bead. there was discussion on hi-viz, black beads, what beads! and white etc. So when shooting last week (hi viz green) I was shooting terrible! I am 100% positive I was staring at the green dot not the target. So in my frustration I went to the practice range and put in a black bead. I shot better but the breaks were terrible, chip, two piece breaks, knock the tops off etc, no good solid hits. So my question is this.... would I be better off instead of patterning the gun again just adjust it until I was hitting the targets good? I am thinking that without seeing the bird bead relationship and concentrating more on the target that maybe I'm either getting to them later or something and my gun set-up is different. I know that maybe crazy but my opinion is that everyone gets to the target at different time intervals and just because a pattern looks high on paper etc that may not be the best way to break the target for that particular shooter. Maybe it was just that particular day I shot bad for whatever reason but my scores were the lowest in several years and I think once it went bad I was looking at the bead more trying to compensate. Any suggestions???

2. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I assume you have checked point of impact and the gun shoots where you look and is center (not left or right). I would go to the practice trap and set it on straight aways from station 3 and adjust until you get centered hits. Try the different beads to see if it makes a difference. Use what works and then move to station 2 and 4 to further test and then 1 and 5. The bead can be removed but you will shoot a bit higher.

I have read two different sides to this issue. One side says that a bright bead is so visible that you don't need to look back at it but it is in your peripheral vision. The other point of view is that you don't need a bead and if you focus on the target you will never see the bead.

So do what works!!

W&W

3. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

It seems that when shooting well I couldn't tell you where the bead is at all, however last week I could tell you every shot where it was! Perhaps from what you were saying about shooting higher with no bead applies to a black bead also? That would certainly make sense with the bad breaks.

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Do what W&W said above on the going to post three and shooting only straight aways. Also, while your doing it, try to play with where you hold the gun when you first start your mount. I am thinking that maybe you start a hold that is too low, so when you call for the bird, you have too far to go, you move too fast to the bird and you shoot over it.

I had this same problem about 2 weeks ago. I was starting my hold way too low and would race to the bird and shoot over it. I was getting horrible breaks and was shooting really low scores. So I moved my hold up and my breaks suddenly got 1000 times better. Hope this helps, Josh.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If you take your eyes away from any target, nothing can help you then! Except "blind" luck? Hap

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

For a little while I have been shooting with no bead at all.

I had a Hi-Viz red and I was bead checking.

Last week I shot a 97 at the Great Lakes Grand and a 98 at Jaqua's - no front bead at all. These are good scores for me.

I am not convinced that no bead is the answer - a couple of good scores can be flukes. I am almost sure I cannot shoot a Hi-Viz sight consistently. I started this game late in life and too many years of rifle and pistol shooting have programmed me to use the sights. This is not a good thing in shotgun sports

This is one area where you need to find what works for you. We see things differently and some of us can adapt better than others.

I plan on trying a blackened bead next.

Good luck on your search. I know how frustrating it can be!

Don

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

dverna,, check your PMs? Hap

8. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

I use the small white pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.