1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bead checking?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Bead checking what is it? Is Cross firing the same thing? Where do you shoot when you bead check and why? Your oppinions and thoughts for discussion are appreciated.

Joe

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Bead checking looking at the bead in relation to the bird. Results in stopping the gun and thus shooting behind the bird. Do I get the prize????? What did I win?????

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Bead checking is when you take your eye off of the bird just before you shoot and look back at your bead. Therefore missing your bird.

Easy to do, and it should be easy to correct. Just concentrate on looking at the bird.

Hauxfan!

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Remove the bead and stop shooting like a rifle. Don't need it anyway.

Do I get another prize????????

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is important to know how many beads you have, check them often and count how many you have. HMB

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Often brought on by those stupid glow beads or sights. Those things have their place, but not on the Trap field.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You are a gun fitter?

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Shannon Yes I'm a gunfitter.

I opened this thread for discussion since there sems to be a few that think bead checking and crossfiring are the same thing.

Ithicagrade- Thanks for your insightfull input and constructive criticizem. What do you have to add that actually has something to do with this thread.

9. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I know the difference and can demonstrate each on video--- can you
    Ask the guys in Minneapolis after this weekend

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Phil-I'm sure you can but some others here seem to have this confused.

I welcome any comments from you although we see the same things happening it is in the causes and cures that I disagree with you.

Joe

11. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Tron has it right. Why would anyone put a total distraction on the end of their gun. May be better to put a big flag on the end so as to totally block your vision.

12. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

A Shooter should have his/her eyes out into the target flight zone. If you call
    too soon, that is before your eyes have settled in, your eyes will revert back
    to the bead and the muzzle. This will create a conflict, and a decision will
    almost always be made to shoot the muzzle. Lost Target. Bead or no Bead.

Sharing,

Gunnerx

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

In my opinion, bead checkers track the clay to get in front of it, then look back at the bead to measure the space on the clay. When doing that false measurement, the gun either slows drastically or even stops, doing away with that first seen lead.

Another opinion on crossfiring, there may be several reasons people do this. Getting to the clay with a bad move throwing out the proper alignment of the gun under the master eye may be just one reason. When the proper sighting eye is obscured for any reason, the eye with the best view of the clay takes over. I offer that because people say, they lose sight of the clay completely when they crossfire. I think video taping the shooter,the gun barrel and the shotcharge and how it relates in POI at the clays position at that time may help solve some of this mystery.

For years, I've watched other shooters apply their own style of shooting regardless of method. You have to watch intently the cheek to comb relationship to see minute head lifting on angling clays. Also, the end of the barrel/bead to see if it slows or stops at the shot. If that barrel slows, watch his leading hand to see if he's arm swinging his gun reveals a lot also. Mistakes can add up in a hurry if continued without knowing the whys or even being aware of making them. The confusing part of shotgunning is this, it's such a great tool, it will allow you to violate it a lot and still break good scores,,,sometimes?

Some of the styles I've observed are these. Some will attack the clay very quick in getting the barrel close to it's line and more than likely depend on gun speed to make up for the necessary leads. Others will have the guns comb locked to their cheek with a higher elbow lock and may use two methods of attack. Some depend on speed of swing and some use their peripheral vision to actually see the bird/bead relationship develop ahead of the clay maintaining a solid eye lock on the clays leading edge. When I've used those "bright lighted" bead tubes myself, it's easier to see in your peripheral vision than a dull colored bead! It's my opinion if you lose sight of the clay during any attack, you've made a mistake somewhere before getting to that clay. Learning from your mistakes is far different than dwelling on a negative process. Keeping an open mind and applying good common horse sense to the process needed to be successful goes a long way in improving anything, shotgunning included. JMHOs, for what they're worth.

Gene Hapney

14. 2labman

2labman Member

Listen to Tron and Lead Man, they know that what works for them will work for everybody since after all, we're all the same, right!!!!!!

15. jhoward

jhoward Member

I'll just say this, at a clinic at Blackwing in Ohio a few weeks ago, Nora suggested that we remove the fiber optic bead from my wife's 390 and go with a plain white bead. I'm not saying it applies to anyone else, but Nora felt that the glowing front bead was distracting my wife. She's still adjusting to the suggestions that Nora made, but her scores have gone up.

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I think that most of us see our barrel through our peripheral vision whether we admit it or not. When I am skeet shooting I know exactly where the barrel is in relation to the target. You could say I am measuring it which is supposed to be a no no. My focus is on the target but I know what my lead is. I can run over 100 straight this way with a sustained lead. I shoot trap with a swing through lead. I don't measure the lead but I do see my barrel in my peripheral vision. I use several types of leads in sporting clays. With sustained I almost do measure my lead with my focus on the target but matching the gun speed to the target speed with the right lead. When shooting a crossing target with swing through I swing through the target then match the gun speed to the target speed when the lead looks right in my peripheral vision then fire much like I do with a sustained lead. I probably see my lead the least when using a pull away shot. I still see the barrel pull away with my peripheral vision but pull the trigger when the shot feels right. I tried a large bright beed once and my shooting suffered because of it. I took it off after one try. Too distracting. When you can barely see the barrel at all like on a sustained lead on a long crossing target it gets very difficult to get the lead right. We are aware of the barrels position through our peripheral vision whether or not we acknowlege it.

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I think I should mention that Dan Carlisle removes the beads or gets the smallest bead possible for many of his customers. I have no front bead on my gun.

High flyer I can understand where your coming from. Skeet you know where the targets are coming from and going to so it can be a more conscious process.
    In trap or live birds you have an unknown flight path and the computations must take place subconsciously.

Joe

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife is currently carrying a 99.25 ATA average in Singles. She uses a fiber optic bead and shoots one-eyed. She also was a student of Nora!!

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

jhoward is your wife shooting with one or two eyes?
    Joe

20. guido

guido Member

Yup, mine are there.

GUIDO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stopping bead distraction in clay shooting