1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bead checking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mich746, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mich746

mich746 Member

I pretty much shoot with both eyes, maybe a little wink when I pull the trigger but I'm OK with that. I am eye neutral....my eye dominance will change.
    I'm trying to stop bead checking so I can get that soft focus but I think I shoot better when I take an extra second to bead check then adjust my eye to a distance.

By bead checking, I mean closing one eye, looking down the rib then opening the other eye before I call for the bird.

How about some input on what you guy's are doing with your eyes.....Thanks, Mike

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Usually when I remember what I did with my eyes, it was a lost bird. So I don't know as far as what I do, when I hit them.

3. mich746

mich746 Member

Stl Fly: I understand what you mean, but I'm still trying to develop my routine (new shooter) so I won't have to think about anything and just shoot. I try and practice (dry) ever night.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It is OK to check the bead alignment when you mount the gun but then you should Soft Focus in the zone in front of the traphouse and look right through the front bead and never let your eyes come back to the gun. I have the 2 mm Uni-Dot on my Handicap gun and the 3 mm Uni-Dot on my Doubles gun.

5. Shawn

Shawn Member

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. It works for a lot of us.

You can still soft focus once you have everything lined up.

If it works for you, I wouldn't change it.

Shawn

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The key is "routine". Once you stop thinking of what you are doing with your eyes through repetition, you are where you need to be.

Keep doing what works for you, and repeat it until it is routine. There are many different routines out there. More then likely when you eventually forget about what you are doing with your eyes, and where to focus, it will be what works for you. Thinking right before you call pull, is usually not a good thing.

7. Leftysmokum

Leftysmokum Member

Gun mount with bead check--soft focus to pull target--to hard focus on leading edge--see target clearly and shoot--as you know this happens very-very fast--practice a lot

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

You might also open both eyes wide open just before calling for the target. Lets in more light and may help you with that little wink.

Steve

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I call what you are doing bead registration. I do this to insure proper stock weld, it is part of my pre shot routine.

Looking at the bead AFTER seeing the bird is bead checking, never a good thing.

As was said, once you begin to close/mount the arm, your pre shot routine should transition to auto-pilot as you throttle up to destroy the target.

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Shooting coach got it exactly right.....SMOKIT

11. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

If I can I pick out something the field the same height as I am looking straight out while standing upright. In singles I put the gun one to two feet over the trap house and my eyes are over the gun barrel about a foot or so, I focus left of the barrel for post 1 and 2, for post 3-4-5 my eyes are to the right of the barrel looking for the hard angle. If your eyes get too close to the barrel with will pick up the front sight and shoot behind the target. Concentrate on the leading edge of the target.

12. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I am right eye dominate but not very dominate, I see 2 barrels.

What has helped me is the fiber optic sight with a channel or tube that keeps the off eye from seeing the sight. Meadow Industries Vari-Brite-Site III and Easy Hit. Give it a try, it has helped me.

If your power of concentration is not strong enough to stay focused on the target and not focus on the glow dot then it is not for you.

Jason

13. mich746

mich746 Member

Stilltrying: So you are not see the bird until it is above your barrel? I'm holding above the house but with both eyes open I can see under the barrel and picking up the bird when it leaves the house.I have been told this is a bad thing because the bird is a blur coming out, probably a bad habit I need to break.

I have taken some advice from a paper I read by Terry Jordan. Repeating a "word" before you shoulder you gun. The word doesn't mean anything it just keeps other thoughts out of your head

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

jmheratige--If you do it right there is no piece to follow to the ground. I do not believe in any planned follow thru. Once the bird breaks ....it is over-- except for residual gun movement.

15. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

If you bead and shoot well who cares. I agree with most here and bead check when I mount the gun. After that I use a soft gaze at the heigth the birds are flying that day. We have alot of wind that changes the flight patterns of the birds. If you find yourself shooting under the birds it could be that slight bead check causing it. Was always told shotguns are pointed, not aimed. If you mount it consistently, and keep your face into the stock, it will shoot where u point it. I would rather chase it and cover it with my Model 12. Some folls have higher poi and may disagree.

16. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I see the bird clearly and in focus, if you eyes are focused correctly the rocks look like garbage can lids and they seem slow. I never could see the birds under the barrel since my eyes are focused up higher? One can lower their eye focus some on handicap along with their gun hold but you still want your eyes high enough not to see the rocks as streaks. I also use the Meadow Industries sight. I still do not understand how right handed shooter can see beneath his barrel with is left forearm in the way. I do not see the bird until it clears the barrel, what for it do not move the gun until you see it. I like James Russell "Trap shooting secrets" and" Precision Trap Shooting" for tips on dealing with all the mental issues. They are written for handicap but some subjects can be applied to singles.

17. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

If u use the soft gaze method, your periphal sight picks up the direction of the bird. Thats how u stiart the gun swing left or right. If its a hard left or right , you have to wait on it until your barrel catches up to it. Cant shoot it as quick as u can a straightaway .Easier said than done but if you shoot more you ll get the internal timing aspect.

Using your periphal vision to dectect the direction is important because u cant really see a bird clearly the first 15 feet out of the house. If you look at a door knob directly, can u still not peripherally see whats below it?

Do yourself a favor and ask one of the BEST shooters to help u. Alot of variables in this sport just likegolf . We have several All Americ ans at my club that I pick their brains. certain fundamentals are just that. Fundamentals like the foundation of a house.

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have not seen the beads on my Beretta in a long time, when I shoot I never see the beads just the target.

19. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Mike,
    send me a text 2567626559 sign your name to it. When i finish my next fitting session I will call you and help you work through this problem in private.
    wont cost you a penny. Todd

20. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I mount the gun and look down the rib, making sure my cheek pressure and fit of gun feels correct and my hold point is normal. It takes alot longer to type this than do it....
    Then with both eyes open I look out into the field
    When I am ready I say pull.
    With both eyes open I see the bird leave the house and pick up the direction.
    Here I am looking at the bird....
    Then I begin moving the gun to the bird and see the barrel (ever so fuzzy) enter the flight of the bird. Then the bird and barrel tip are jointly in focus or are eye aware... I make sure the barrel is on the correct side of the bird's flight and come up on the bird and FIRE.

Again this takes ALOT longer to type than to do.

When I am going well and am in the zone, the bird seems SLOW and LARGE.....

If however, I call PULL and am NOT looking out into the field for the bird.... then I am taken by SURPRISE and the bird seems SMALL and FAST and I feel I am needing to catch up to the bird.

I do not know if this makes sense.

I have my gun set up so that the bird/bead or bird/barrel tip PICTURE is such that I am kind of shooting the legs off of the bird on straights or on the lower front edge on rights and lefts.

That is how I am doing it so far.

I think most guys would say they just see the bird, but frankly, if they were honest, they HAVE to see the bird/barrel tip (no bead mentioned) relationship before firing. You just have to be on the correct side of the bird when it is moving right or left.

Again, I am not looking from the bird to the bead then back to the bird... the bird and the barrel tip all become one picture or view but my vision is on the bird when I am in the zone.

Hope this wordy explanation makes some sense to you and others?

Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is bead checking