1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bead Checking problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I want to black out or block out the white beads on my BPS Trap for training. I guess small pieces of black electrical tape would do the trick on a temporary basis. Black marker would be more permanent, although a water-based marker would wash off. Any other good temporary methods for doing this?

Any other good training methods for weaning off bead checking?

By the way, I experimented with taping the bottom of my master eye lense. You have to be exact on the placement to just block out the front bead, while not blocking out a lot of the field of vision. It also taught me that it's easy to move the arms, head or both just a little to make the bead come into view. I had to concentrate on moving in one piece so the bead would not come into view.

Danny

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Can you unscrew the bead from the rib? While that might work for the short term, you'll have to train yourself to keep your eyes on the target. There really is any need to bead check if the gun fits you and your cheek bone is firmly on the comb.

Eric

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I used to have some old Sight Black. I think it was G-96 or Birchwood Casey that offered it. I've pulled the beads and shot just as well. I guess they don't always make that much of a difference or I'm just half blind.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

you can still purchase Sight Black at the web address above I do not however know any thing about the product.

Bob Lawless

5. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

Danny,

Removing the bead or blacking out the bead won't change anything, you will still look back for the end of the barrel if you are a bead checker.

You will need to become a two eyed shooter, if you aren't already. You need to stop rifle shooting the targets. When you rifle shoot and look back for the bead all is lost,you eyes have lost focus on the target and the target will be well ahead of your gun. You will have to get your gun to fit you. Your gun will have to shoot where you are looking. If it does you won't have a chance to look back for the beads, because the target will be smoke. You will have to look for the target around your gun, not as it rises above you barrel. You will have to stay on the gun well after the target is broken.

The above worked for me.

Good luck,

Richard Luckett

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Use black Dry Erase marker. It comes off very easily so I keep the marker in my vest to touch it up from time to time.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Any other good training methods for weaning off bead checking?"

Try looking intently at the target till it breaks, learn to see the leading edge of an angle. Sounds simple huh? Try doing it on every target you shoot and you'll soon see it's not an automatic gimme. Even removing the beads or painting it black can't guarantee you'll keep your eyes on the clay, would it? Seeing a clay target and seeing one with intensity is one thing the top shooters have learned to do. Bead checking is nothing more than taking your eye/eyes away from the target in an attempt to measure lead distance. Bad habit for a shotgunner or even a rifle shooter on a moving target. Some shooters have learned to use their peripheral vision which is far different than bead checking. Then again, some use it and aren't even aware of doing so. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bead checking when shooting trap

how to stop bead checking