1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bead checking is it Aiming?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Since you don't aim a shotgun what about bead checking?

Please not only thoughts but reasons why or why not.

Does it matter if your a one eyed shooter or two eyed?

Good shooters what do you do?

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I never take my eyes off the leading edge of a clay target yet I know exactly where my bead is in that relationship! Making the gun go bang at the proper time takes lots of practice, learning how to properly see the targets and where the bead is once your barrel catches the clay.

Hap

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

For starters, I admit that I believe in Daro Handy's book which I have read at least 5 times. No where in his book does he say that you should look AT THE BEAD but he does say that you should NOTICE the ghost image of the front bead in your peripheral vision while you are FOCUSING your eyes in the zone in front of the trap house. I think "bead checking" is lining up the middle and front beads of your gun during your gun mount and THEN you are supposed to FOCUS downrange into the zone. The trouble is that it is easy to get stuck on the looking at the beads thing and forget the most important part about focusing downrange. I believe that the middle bead is worse than useless on a trap gun provided that the gun fits. I have filed my middle bead down to a tiny inconspicuous thing and never use it unless at home in the privacy of our basement workshop.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Here's an example of how the terms can confuse people.
    When I was speaking of Bead Checking I was referring to checking the bead even if it is only momentary during the execution of the shot. What I would call the above would be a preshot routine checking for proper mount prior to calling for the target.

Joe

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It's all about focus. The bead is in your vision, and you cannot not see it. If the focus is on the target, then the target will break. If the focus is switched back to the bead, the target is lost. I know this all too well through experience. I shoot with non dominant eye taped. Mark

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bead checking happens when your conscious mind tries to help out when you're appoaching the target. Let your sub conscious do the job and the target will be dead. HMB

7. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I believe that bringing your "focus" which should be 100% on the front edge of the target, back to the beads is the equivalent of a brain fart. However, knowing where your pattern is in relation to the target is by an awareness of where the beads are. Focus, and awareness, are two different things.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I don't watch the hammer head when nailing the board either... I watch the nail head..

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Conscience vs. Subconscience ! No matter what your pre-shot routine is, once you call "pull" your conscience mind's focus must be on the target and your subconscience on the bead being on the bird. If your conscience mind shifts to the bead (beads)you are bead checking and it will cause misses!!! Jack

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

So far good posts.

Could bead checking create the errant and dreaded crossfire?
    Joe

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have found that I got into the BAD habit of bead checking (looking at the bead a fraction of a second before shooting at the target) when I changed guns. I think I subconsciously wanted to make sure they correctly on target.

I had shot my Browning for about 5 years and got comfortable enough with it all I had to do is shoulder it and call for the bird. Like most of us I figured a new gun would be the cats meow. I'm on my 2nd year with the CG and getting more comfortable with it but I have to consciously remind myself to look ONLY at the leading edge of the target.

So to answer your question, In my opinion...

Bead checking is looking at the beads a fraction of a second before shooting at the target. And it will result in the score keeper calling "LOSS".

Bill

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

The small front beads will eliminate that.

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Paint the bead black and let it become a hump instead of a headlight (ya know... like deer stare at headlights?)

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

That is the nice thing about a light pipe..you always know where the bead is without looking directly at it....SMOKIT

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Prior to the shot,NO........During,YES............LOST!

D.P.Reynolds

16. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

After cataract surgery my right dominant eye was set for distance and my non-dominant left eye was set for close vision (my previous contacts were set that way also so I could read and also see distant objects.). My problem was that my left eye was seeing the bead clearly because the front bead was within its focus range and led to bead checking. Occluding the left eye fixed the problem. Yes, I had previously used Daro Handy's suggestions in his book. Looking at the bead just prior to pulling the trigger destroys any chance of success.

Terry Sandlin

17. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

First of all, you DO aim a shotgun. If this was not the case, then why not just shoot clays at the hip instead of the shoulder. That is exactly what most of the fellow above have been saying. They aim, but they aim while focusing on the leading edge of the clay. Sounds confusing, but it's not. The bead and/or the barrel forms a picture (an aimed picture) as you stare down the clay. When the sight picture looks right to your brain (based on thousands of rounds fired), you instinctively pull or release the trigger. It's almost automatic. Call, secure the proper sight picture of the aimed bead and/or barrel, and smoke the target....

I truly love trapshooting....

18. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

If a shotgun was meant to be "aimed" the manufacturers would put sights on all of em, not just the slug guns.

GneJ

19. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I think bead-checking happens when we're trying to be careful and/or aim. It can take place in a split-second while we're tracking a target; the result is inevitably a lost bird. I think it is the result of bad habits. In any case, it is to be avoided at all costs. You should only see the ghost of the bead as you're homing in on a target.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you bead check before calling for the bird, no.

If you bead check after calling for the bird, yes.

If you had a stock that fit you properly, you would not need to bead check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bead checking in trapshooting

bead checking when shooting trap

trap shooting bead checking bad