1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bead bird relationship

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hehawboy, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

I shoot right now at about 4 to 6 " below the clay ,is this distance or the way i do it wrong. Some say you should touch the bird others say leave well enought alone .What's your say on the matter .

2. 87AA

87AA TS Member

I am completely unaware of where the barrel is, in relation to the bird, when I pull the trigger. Plus, I haven't had a bead on my guns in years. Once you develop a "feeling" of how to break targets, don't mess with it.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

+1 for 87AA. Use the beads to ensure that you have a proper gun mount. Then focus your eyes at infinity (soft focus) looking into your look point for your position. Call for the bird and break it.

You may want to check out this article on your "Quiet Eye."

http://www.gatorskeetandtrap.com/documents/QuietEye001.pdf

Ed Ward

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Don't think, ......just shoot.

5. archangel

archangel Member

When I am doing well I don't see the bead or use it to setup. 87AA I too have wanted to remove may beads they make me miss -at least they did today. I should add I use flat black paint on them and don't understand the "light pipe" stuff my friends have if we are not supposed to see the beads. -Mike

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

You know, that's a great point. I just got yardage, and, about the second day I shot after that, I started missing. Hey, 36" just can't make that much difference, can it?

Plus, I was sure the gun was ahead and below the target when I fired. How could I be missing?

Then, like a thunderclap, while walking from post 3 to 4, it hit me. I NEVER knew exactly where the barrel is when I shot and now I seemed to always know and it's not working.

So on 4 & 5, I concentrated on the target like I should and hit the last ten. I shot today doing the same thing I used to do, looking at the target and, if I noticed the barrel, it was just in the periphery of my vision. Hitting them well again.

I only know one good shooter who uses the bead, though perhaps you know others. Most say they just look hard at the target and the brain handles the rest.

Bob

7. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

HB - I dont think there is a right or wrong way ... for sight picture. Everyone works it out for themselves. If you dont have adjustable rib, comb, or pad - then your POI is pretty much fixed. In that situation, I think your gun and your natural gun movement are going to dictate the sight picture for you. If you do have adjustable gun features, then you can set the gun up to center-hit targets based on the sight picture you prefer. Personally, I like to just touch the bead to the bottom of the bird. For this sight picture, guns that shoot roughly 6-7" high at 32 yds seem to work for me.

8. archangel

archangel Member

I agree with straightshooter and some of the others stare at the target and the gun will automaticaly go to it and break it. What is confusing is touching the bead to the target always sounds like aiming to me but I have friends who do see that sight picture- my eyes aren't that good.

9. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

hehawboy:
    Reading your question again, it appears that you are interested in how far to hold under the rock, not whether or not to focus on the bead, the rock, or whatever. The answer to your question, Grasshopper, can be found at the patterning board. Might be a foot low, might be right on the rock. Once you find it there, move over to post 3 and shoot some straight-away shots, walking your shots in, starting way too low and closing the gap, shot by shot, until you are covering the bird. With the help of your trusty shooting buddy you will know where to hold to get the most satisfying ink balls. And you will have your answer...
    dju

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Like David said...The only way to answer the question is to find the guns POI vs. your POA at 35 to 40 yards. Guns that shoot flat, you have to cover the bird. Guns that shoot 4" high, you should probably be touching the bottom of the bird. The higher you gun shoots the more you can "float" the bird.

How do you know your 4 to 6" below the bird?

Wayne

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

Should you try to measure the distance over or under a target you will be a loser! the secret is how fast you focus and kill the target with your eyes! the accomplishished shooter shoots 120 to 150 % guns, or more! they kill the target with the focus on the target! to try to "float" a target either over or under a makes you cannon fodder for an accomplished shooter! Everyt one has an elapsed time built into them, make your gun shoot at at time! incinerate em!

12. Cooter

Cooter Member

200 straight has it right, if you don't have bird to bead relationship all you are is a timing shooter,Frank Little made a lot of money in shoot offs shooting against timing shooters.

13. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

It's just a matter of time until they figure out about guns that shoot 200% high!

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

How do you know where you are if you don't see the bead in your peripheral vision? I dont mean focusing on the bead. Read Frank Littles book, He explains it very well..

15. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I by no means am a great shooter, but I do alright. I always see a bird barrel relationship. I can't tell you what it is, but if I do not see it I miss. I have some of my shooter friends ask me what my sight picture is and I can't tell them. I use my beads to line up my shoulder mount and my hold point, then I call for the bird and when my minds sight picture is right the gun goes off. I believe that all shooters do this, weather they realize it or not. The best shooters just do this with more concistancey. Pardon my spelling. Bill Hom

16. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

trying not to miss is totally different from trying to hit something

There is magic in the things you can't see but only feel

A fast move to the target builds in lead.

If you're measuring, your probably stopping the gun too

I dont know what I see other than I am in front of it, some.

regards

17. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

well i will know all about this bird/bead stuff in a week or two.i am going to put a LED earing on the end of my gun.now that will damm sure get my eyes to look at the bead.now if i can get the led on the bird then i should break the bird.right?;>)this all started when duck hunting.the ducks were coming in and the shooting time was ok but seeing the barrel/bead was a little hard.I'll keep you informed.

18. archangel

archangel Member

Frank little also said not to become mesmerized by the beads and to look slightly off the barrel when setting up Mike

19. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

THanks for all the input but i am a one eye shooter and i do line up my gun with a figure 8 . even when lookig for the bird the bead is always in my view and seem to shoot when the bead is somewhere around 4 to 6 " away , I average around 23 to 24 targets every 25 .and smashing the birds not chipping them .Someone at the club I shoot at said I should be touching the bird but whats the different if I know when to pull the trigger .

20. tburrey

tburrey Member

I'm a one eyed shooter and like you I line my beads up and then call for the target. After that I no longer see my beads but always am aware of my barrel end when I shoot at the bird. I've tried two eyed shooting several times and it really feels weird to me. When I have shot with both eyes I am not aware of the end of my barrel location. I guess it's because I aim when shooting with one eye. I know this is not supposed to be the way to do it but I have always done better one eyed shooting and don't play to change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.