1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bead alignment

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimvvv, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimvvv

jimvvv TS Member

When stock fitting your trap gun should the beads lineup in a Fig 8 or should there be space between. What is the most general look and how much space is a rule. Just wanted to know if the space keep growing as I raise the comb. Should I also rase the stock with the but plate to achive the Fig 8 look? I plan on ordering the book on Stockfitting.

2. crk

crk Member

whether right or wrong, I was told you always wanted to see the "snowman." In other words, if you move up and that picture changes, you are moving the gun and not the whole body. Be interesting to hear what others say.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If you raise your comb because you want to raise your POI on a gun with a fixed rib, you had better see increased space between the beads. Otherwise you are scrunching down on the comb to re-establish the figure 8 thereby negating the effect of raising your rib.

However, the real reason that you have two beads is to be able to check that the gun is in the right horizontal plane alignment with your line of sight. If your gun fits and you have established a consistant gun mount this check becomes less necessary.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Where does it shoot now? In other words, why do you want to raise the comb?

Neil

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Thank you, GB. I appreciate it.

Jim;

I agree with everything written above. The height of the eye above the rib determines how high a gun will shoot, i.e. how far point of impact (of the center of the pattern) is above the point of aim.

Then it gets compicated because several things are involved in thelevel of your eye and the level of the rib, for example, the distance between your eye's pupil and your cheekbones and the way your cheek meets the comb, to name a couple.

As was suggested, the only value of a mid bead is to allow checking the gun mount. This is not necessary of course, with a consistent mount, but that is something that is easier said than done.

Rollin

6. jimvvv

jimvvv TS Member

When I mount the gun and look down the rib I see a space between beads. At 13 yrads it shoots about 2" high. So I guess that is 70/30. If that is so how should I line the target up. 1) just touch the target? 2) or cover it. I thought I would put an adjustable butt plate on the gun because I have a slight cant to the rib. Then when I hold the gun higher on my shoulder the beads line up to more of a Fig 8. If I raise the butt on my shoulder and leave the comb alone then I guess that will bring the gun to be a more flat shooter. Would like to raise gun to make it fit better without tilting my head down on gun. Hope this is the correct thing to do. But just looking for advise. New to this game, I will read the book hope I don't get more confused. Any help on this would be great. Thanks.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Many new shooters to the shotgun sports will think the moving the buttplate/pad, higher or lower. will change the POI. It will not.

What you'll need to determine is where your head/face sits the most comfortablely on the comb. By you moving the gun up higher on your shoulder, you are changing the position of you head. This is not someting you want to do unles it is more comfortable.

Only raising or lowering the comb should change the sight picture and the POI.

8. jimvvv

jimvvv TS Member

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

i agree with most of above. to clarify: It doesnt matter how much you see of each bead. It only matters that you see some of each [perfect snowman is best], and that THEY LOOK THE SAME EACH TIME YOU SHOOT.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, get the book from Rollin. You will learn much about fitting your gun to you.

In general, I suggest that you mount your gun with your head level and eyes looking at the trap. Then bring the gun up to your cheek (not cheek down to your gun) and shoot some targets. If you are shooting under the birds, raise the comb. After you have the gun shooting where you are looking, then see what relationship you have between the mid and front bead. That relationship is the one that is correct for you.

slayer- I cannot get anything with my bead alignment to look like a snowman. I do not know where you live, but in Virginia we get little snow and none of it is fluorescent green. Is it possible you live in an area with some air pollution concerns?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.