1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Be Sure to Shoot Good . . . I Bought You"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

One time at a local shoot some guy bought me in the Calcutta on Saturday. Come Sunday morning he looked me up and says it cost him “Big Bucks” and I must shoot good today. He followed me around (including the men’s room) and then followed me down the line. I suppose he thought if I looked around and noticed his presence it would remind me to shoot better. It didn’t!

The worst one though, was at a state shoot when a drunk woman bought me, proceeded to cuss me out, call me a SOB and threatened my life if I didn’t win. I didn’t win . . . and perhaps she did me a favor by passing out before I finished shooting that day.

Playing the Calcutta kinda lost its glamour after that.

Any similar stories?

BB

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Nope...I never enter. Good luck, though, to those of you who do.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have seen that happen a lot. I always buy myself so it has not happened to me.

4. chikeneyes

chikeneyes TS Member

It is not always that bad.. Last saturday I shot a draw backer with a much older gentleman and we won The next day at the cal his wife bought me. Again I won Go figure. She was again very happy It made my day

5. joannl030

joannl030 Member

I never quite had this problem; however, one time during a calcutta shoot, I was entering the 2nd 100 in 1st place and the 2nd place guy tried really hard to psych me out...fortunately for me it was a great day for me as I did win the total event while he crashed and burned. He has barely spoken to me since and that was about 20 years ago.
    Jo Ann

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I don't like the feeling myself but one old gentlemen once told me "they are big boys and most make decent wages" don't feel bad.

Rick, I would buy that T shirt! lol

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I went for $400 in the calcutta at one shoot, which is well above what I thought I was worth, and as Jo Ann said, I crashed and burned. Wind, clouds blowing through on a really bright day affecting the light, different backgrounds on different traps, I had a dozen excuses. After I finished well down the list, I spoke to my buyer, and he was philosophical about it. "Oh, well. You can't put a price on stupidity." I thought that was a pretty good attitude for a guy who laid out just under $3000 and got back less than $100.

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Shooting Sailor, how does a guy who buys you for $400 lose $3000? You must have left something out. I have been involved in Calcuttas since I was a pup, but I have never experience this phenomenon of buyers contacting shooters about their performance. Are you guys dealing with idiots?

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Around 25 years ago I signed up to shoot a Calcutta at our state shoot. I was on 20 yards and had a 92.63 handicap average at that time. I was unable to bid on myself as I was called away due to my wife's car broke down and I had to leave. The next day I was told that two Wisconsin hall of fame inductees paid $20.00 for me in the Calcutta. That day I was reminded by both of them not to let them down. After 75 targets I was down one. On the 4th trap they decide to watch me shoot and I ended up with an 88. To this day every time they see me they tell me how I let them down. I finally had enough and offered to pay them $10.00 each. They refused my offer, and said they will never allow me to forget that day that I let them down.

A friend of mine was a fireman and was a short yardage shooter. That year he was not shooting well. As his name was called to bid on him in the state shoot Calcutta, no one offered to buy him for $20.00. He had to purchase himself, which he really did not want to do, as he knew how bad a slump he was in. The next day, he came to the club after working 3rd shift without any sleep and was feeling very ill. A friend of mine said after we saw how he looked that we were smart not to buy him as we would have been wasting our money. As luck would have it, the same guy shot a 99 and made around $13,000.00. Every time I see him I bring this story up to him. He also tells me when he got home that day with the $13,000.00 in cash, he asked his wife if she still wanted to take her dream trip to Ireland as he won all this money. She said that is your winnings and he should do what he thinks is right with the money that he just won. He said ok, so the next day he went and used the money to purchase a Harley.
    Steve Balistreri

10. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Eightbore- I went for $400, and he bought a whole bunch of other shooters, as well, bringing his total outlay to just a little under $3000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.