1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BE CAUTIOUS IN SEPT. & OCT. AT AREA GUN CLUBS!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    the months of sept and oct usually brings out people at area gun clubs that either have never shot before, or have little shooting experience. years ago at the waukesha gun club we would ask seasoned shooters if they would keep an eye on newer shooters. we could answer any questions they had, or watch for saftey infractions. last september, i was watching 5 guys shoot, it started off with the #3 shooter actually shooting at the free "let me see one target" before they started shooting the round. it went down hill from there. around 15 years ago ago, i was shooting a practice round with a fellow friend and the mgr asked if a husband and wife could shoot with us. he said watch them as he didn't feel they really knew what they were doing even though they said they have shoot before. after the 3rd or 4th shot, the woman's gun did not fire and she swung around to her right and pointed the loaded gun directly at my friend and myself. we quickly jumped out of the way, and informed her in no uncertain terms that she could have killed one or both of us. she appologised, we talked to them both in puting their guns down and we had a 30 minute talk about safety, and then we stood behind them while they shoot. the mgr at that time dreaded sept and oct because he always said the yahoo's came out of the wood work. speaking about yahoos, around 20 years ago a group of 4 young guys come to the club and signed up for 1 round each. they were offered to shoot on trap#6 which is in front of the club, but they chose to shoot way down on the east end of the club. i signed up and was told they are only shooting 1 round but that was 25 minutes ago,and i should go out there and see what is going on? i watched from my car, and they each had a awol bag filled with AA's and were shooting on their 4th round each. i asked them how many rounds they were shooting and they said we paid for 4. i said i was told they paid for 1. i got into my car and talked to the mgr and when we came back out they were long gone. most people are not like this, but in sept and oct, members need to keep an extra eye out for people that normally don't shoot. have any of you seen or heard about safety infractions at your club?
    steve balistreri

2. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Why September and October?

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I could easily see that happening. Sometimes these shoots are called hunter practice shoots. I'm fortunate at a few clubs I shoot at that new shooters basically come forward and disclose they are new and they are put with someone. I've done this my share of times. Go over safety aspects, gun function and basics of shooting. I've seen rounds stopped by the puller if safety is an issue. We (shooters, clubs) can afford these types of mishaps. There is no certain age to look at. We find new shooters from as young as 10 yrs. old to 20's, 30's.........even 60+ years old. At any time of year and even if your just a spectator waiting to shoot and you see something that doesn't look safe at least address the puller. It's possible the puller just didn't see something. You bring up a very ,very good point. Thanks for the heads up.

4. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Because in Sept and Oct all the newby/wannabe/ (in Wisconsin) up from Chicago) hunters come out of the woodwork to test their prowness as hunting season arrives. I agree with the dumb*$$ stuff that occurs on ranges up til deer season ends.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

you got it, they come out of the woodwork.

I watch for the brown hunting vests (a dead giveaway). Sometimes they know what they are doing, sometimes not. Another dead giveaway is they have Junior along with his single barrel or sometimes a 20 guage pump.

First closed gun I see, we get the talk. Then I tell them if you don't know something, you find out by asking. I did have one take a divot out next to my foot some years back but I kept my cool, no shouting, and pointed out"That's why we have all these gun safety rules around here"

Then I went home and put new Fruit of the Looms on.

HM

6. leadvail

leadvail Member

Most important, this is the time of year squirrels are looking for nuts, so stay home.

7. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Agree with EE.

Trapboy -- what's wrong with 27 yard doubles? I decided a shoot-off with a IL shooter at Sparta a couple of falls ago that way...

8. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I do view them as future shooters and try to work with them. Unfortunately, there are many who went hunting a couple of times somewhere with a relative and now resist even the friendliest approach of trying to ensure they understand how trap ranges (or rifle ranges work). Last November I got a lot of rifle shooting done and I did not even have a gun. There was a stream of shooters who could not zero a rifle to save their life. Then, they would look to the range officer to shoot since the could not figure out how to shoot with the same form more than once.

Two weeks ago I got swept 3 times by a guy on station one while I was trying to explain to this apparently long time, but seasonal shooter that he needed to keep the gun pointed down range. Had the action been closed he would have been going down range to pick up his bird gun! I was there working with 2 other "new" members that he also swept.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Amen EE

Yeah, they don't know what they are doing sometimes, but that was me about 10 or 12 years ago.

Talked to about 6 of these people at the club today, just telling them the safety rules, how trap shooting (or skeet shooting) works, thanking them for coming, and hope you'll consider buying a club membership.

But keep an eye on them, and correct them, politely, and help them out. Remind them your club has a super safety record because everybody follows the rules, and you'd like them to do the same.

Give them your time and some friendly advice, and they'll come back and maybe become a member or a regular.

Treat them like they're the red-headed ba$tard step-child at a family reunion, and they won't.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

I've had loaded guns pointed at me 5 or 6 times at trap clubs, usually in Sept.-Oct. I agree - it's a scary time.

I have no problems with potential new shooters who enter with a sense of respect, learning, and most importantly, safety about them. Everybody is "new" at some point; that's how we all start and I have no problem with that. But when I was new, I went to the club and WATCHED 3 rounds before I even got my gun out of the car. And once I got it out, I sure as hell didn't point it at people. I'm talking about the ones who don't have enough sense to watch where their LOADED GUN IS POINTED. I'm happy to tell people the procedures and rules and such and help them out...but in my opinion, not pointing your loaded gun at people should be common sense they come in the door with. If they don't, I'd much rather they leave and never return. If I have to tell them that, I just don't want them around.

Think defensively while you're out there.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The hunters I've observed at the trap club as as safe if not safer than the trapshooters.<br>
    <br>
    The ones I've seen cause problems are neither hunters nor trapshooters.

12. senior smoke

EE:
    if you get time please re read my thread. after having a loaded gun pointed at us, we spent 30 minutes of our unpaid time to explain safety procedures. we then spent another 15 to 20 minutes watching them shoot, giving them pointers. we also gave them a tour of the club. when asked if they would like to take out a membership they declined because they were not from this area. on the 2nd batch of shooters that i spoke about, we didn't have a chance to offer a membership because they paid for 1 round each, and shoot 4 rounds each , so they stole 12 free rounds from our club before they all jumped into a car and ran away like thiefs in the night.
    steve balistreri

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Once upon a time we were all new shooters. Wasn't it nice that someone made us feel welcome at a club?

Pat Ireland

14. senior smoke

EE- i agree with you 100 percent. most people who come out to the club are potential customers and should be treated with the proper respect due them. the 4 guys who planed to defraud the club by bringing 4 awol bags full of shells each, paying for 1 round each, than asking to shoot at the far east end of the club so no one would see them, and then shooting a total of 12 free rounds, i should have not called them yahos. THEY ARE THIEVES!!
    steve

15. senior smoke

Pat -i also agree with you. you should make people feel welcome, and safe when using guns, not only to protect themselves, but fellow club members.
    steve

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

EE: <i>This is a good example of goatskin's complaint on the "Fixin' HDCP" thread. Instead of bitching about these hunters coming to shoot a few practice rounds, and complaining about their actions, clubs (and club members, Steve) should look at these people as potential new trap shooters and welcome them.</i>

For a young person (especially) shooting is FUN ... you get to use real guns and break things and see them explode and turn around and see that you are in the company of ADULTS ... you've crossed an important line.

If WE can add and reinforce those experiences: fun, accomplishment, respect, ... we may have him/her come BACK to shooting when they are off their parent's teat: after college, marriage and a couple of kids.

More than once, I've stood a kid on top of the traphouse so they can have a Leo experience, to disgusted looks from some of the 'regulars'.

Ah, well ... fun matters.

Bob

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

While shooting Sporting this weekend at a local club, I found a box of 3" 20 ga #2 Duck load empties, and Federal #4 Hunting load hulls. This is typical during this time of year, despite signs all over the club prohibiting shot larger than 7 1/2.

I, or someone else, could have been seriously injured due to the longer effective range of this type of ammo.

I have found numerous 12 3 1/2" #2 Heavi-shot hulls on the same course. This is even more dangerous to shooters and club staff.

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

At our club, all new shooters are required to read and sign a safety sheet once a year before shooting and before shooting they are asked if they know the procedure of trap shooting. They are told and must watch a group of regular shooters before they go to the line and are coached on the proper behavior of shooting. Only a few times were there unsafe happenings but fortunately no accidents. Once a daughter of a member couldn`t open her gun so she always would turn around with the gun pointing at the crowd, empty hull each time of course, but after 4-5 times she was asked to hand the gun over to her father and then she ran to the car embarrassed for what she did. Another was a new shooter with a pump who started loading up 5 shells on his way to Station 1, when noticing what he was doing, the range officer politely told him thats not what is done here and only 1 shell in the gun at a time. They became regulars for some time. The last was a well known gun salesman at a local sporting goods store who had a few extra shells in his pouch when the 25th shot was fired, he loaded up another after the puller had called end and out. Apparently he hadn`t heard him call it or he didn`t know? Well he swept the crowd of about 10 people, who hit the dirt very fast. He unloaded it and appologized for his stupidness and we never saw him again. Knock on wood there have been no accidents. But prior to the club taking over this range, one of the previous members blew a hole thru the side of his car when he put an unloaded gun in the truck and it went off?? That was before my time and no one hurt there either .

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

When I correct someone about safety procedures, I explain to them that at ANY target shooting venue...............blah blah blah, whatever the issue is. Using the words "at any kind of target venue" or "you are shooting at a target venue now" kind of takes what could seem to be preachiness or condescension out of the presentation. The people I have corrected know they are out of their element and because I do it in a manner of helping them to not embararass themseves it has almost always been accepted graciously, even gratefully. One of the things I talk to a lot of people about is carrying their break open guns over their shoulder with the barrel facing rearward. I explain to them that if they carry it with the barrels facing forward and down (and I take the gun and lay it over their shoulder correctly) that they look proffesional, their muzzles aren't sweeping people, and if they turn suddenly they don't bash their barrel into someone else or someone elses's gun. So far I am 100% on people just saying WOW, that is neat! Thank you!

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Even better, check the rifle range the day AFTER deer season opens. That's when you find all the shooters sighting in their rifles to find out why they missed. It's our busiest day of the year.

I welcome new shooters and try not to be offensive, but safety is safety. When someone commits a serious infraction, they need to be politely corrected, IF that is possible. Safety first, political correctness comes later. We almost always have experienced shooters available to show the newbies the ropes. We try to identify them before they get on the line, and get them the guidance they require. Most often, they ask for help and tell you up front they have never done this before. We offer hunter safety courses and they include some range time before the course completion. We'd always like someone's first shooting ecperience to be a pleasant one, but I also don't want to see someone injured or killed because of someone's inexperience. It's difficult enough to keep "experienced" shooters from doing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.