1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Be careful what you purchase at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I checked it out on Snopes, and yes, it's true!
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/restock.asp

BEST BUY, MY FOOT

Best Buy has some bad policies....

Normally, I would not share this with others, however, since this could happen to you or your friends, I decided to share it. If you purchase something from, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, JC Penny, Sears etc. and you return the item with the receipt they will give you your money back if you paid cash, or credit your account if paid by plastic.

Well, I purchased a GPS for my car, a Tom Tom XL.S from 'Best Buy'. They have a policy that it must be returned within 14 days for a refund!

So after 4 days I returned it in the original box with all the items in the box, with paper work and cords all wrapped in the plastic… Just as I received it… including the receipt.

I explained to the lady at the return desk I did not like the way it could not find store names. The lady at the refund desk said, there is a 15% restock fee, for items returned. I said no one told me that. I said how much would that be. She said it goes by the price of the item. It will be $45.00 Dollars for you. I said, all your going to do is walk over and place it back on the shelf then charge me $45.00 of my money for restocking? She said that's the store policy. I said if more people were aware of it they would not buy anything here! If I bought a $2000.00 computer or TV and returned it I would be charged $300.00 dollars restock fee? She said yes, 15%.

I said OK, just give me my money minus the restock fee.

She said, since the item is over $200.00 dollars, she can't give me my money back!!!

Corporate has to and they will mail you a check in 7 to ten days.!! I said 'WHAT?!'

It's my money!! I paid in cash! I want to buy a different brand... Now I have to wait 7 to 10 days. She said well, our policy is on the back of your receipt.

I said, do you read the front or back of your receipt? She said well, the front! I said so do I, I want to talk to the Manager!.

So the manager comes over, I explained everything to him, and he said, well, sir they should of told you about the policy when you got the item. I said, no one, has ever told me about the check refund or restock fee, whenever I bought items from computers to TVs from Best Buy. The only thing they ever discussed was the worthless extended warranty program. He said Well, I can give you corporate phone number.

I called corporate. The guy said, well, I'm not supposed to do this but I can give you a 45.00 dollar gift card and you can use it at Best Buy. I told him if I bought something and returned it, you would charge me a restock fee on the item and then send me a check for the remaining 3 dollars. You can keep your gift card, I'm never shopping in Best Buy ever again, and if I would have been smart, I would have charged the whole thing on my credit card! Then I would have canceled the transaction.

I would have gotten all my money back including your stupid fees! He didn't say a word!

I informed him that I was going to e-mail my friends and give them a heads up on this stores policy, as they don't tell you about all the little caveats.

So please pass this on. It may save your friends from having a bad experience of shopping at Best Buy

2. rrose

rrose TS Member

Bigdog
    that stinks. I will not shop at best buy again.
    thanks for the info

3. Juno

Juno TS Member

I was aware of their policies. Also with the fact that more then likely there will come a time they will p!ss me off. Did anyone hear anything about Circuit City going bankrupt?

4. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

Not that I support Wal-Mart but I did buy a DVD recorder there recently and used my debit card. I didn't like it so I returned it the next day. They offered my choice of cash or credited back to my account. I took the cash.
    I admit I was shocked how well I was treated. For me, I knew about BEAST Buy and won't shop there. Their corporate headquarters are 45 minutes from my home and it was BIG news when they got the highway to move the road going by them so they could build their big elaborate building. We're talking six lanes of highway people. Wal Mart superstore is 4 minutes away and (scary) they have been treating me well when I go there twice a year. I still have not gotten anywhere near "liking" the store though.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Walmart and Costco are great on returns. I bought a grill and it was junk from day one, two years later I was talking to the local Costco Mgr and he advised me to retun it for a full refund. So I did.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

never liked best buy? good heads up. I got a bit of a run around returning electronic digital picture frame at walmart. I returned it the next day. Was a poor product with lousy directions, not user friendly. plus the data disc was coming up corrupt on my PC.

7. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

I will never go inside a Best Buy again. Two years ago bought a whole set of kitchen appliances from them and it took over 90 days to get them finally installed due to one mistake after another by them. Their return policies and refund policies are the worst I have ever seen. I hope that they go out of business and Circuit City stays solvent. Don't ever try to call the store for info, as you will never get a person on the phone and customer service policy is to ignore you at the counter and hope you go away. How they have ever stayed in business is a mystery.

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

i dont agree with some wal-mart policy but they do have a 100% no questions asked refund policy plain and simple.

i want a refund--sure sir no problem.. maybe best buy needs a lesson from them

bill

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I quit Best Buy also. I felt like what they sold was seconds that was sent back for factory repair. With the exception of one purchase, I have had to take back any electronics i purchased because the were faulty. NO best buy for me!!+

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I always liked to deal with Circuit City myself. The one time I bought a product at Best Buy it was a lemon. Break-em all. Jeff

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I call them "Worst Buy".

12. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Bill, what Wal-Mart policy do you disagree with?

13. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Totally agree a bunch of jerks. Same on 800 toshiba laptop that was slower than my 8 yr old laptop. Their geek squad said it was slow because of hard drive rpm but could not refund but 85%. Never see this country boy again. Bought one at wal mart and well pleased with it. Jim W.

14. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Quit buying anything at Best Buy when I found I could buy anything that they had cheaper online even with shipping added. Josh

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

bigdogtx:

Ok I have bought maybe 2 things from Best Buys good thing I didn't need to replace them.

I was thinking about buying a DVD Recorder for the home ok I got one for the computer that I can do everything with so probably should just keep recording on it but I will print the post out and leave out your username and if I do go there to look to see what is avaliable and if some one asks me if they can help me then I will question them about the return if something is bad and also leave them some complaint's from others that have shopped there.

Juno:

I got the same thing in a email about Circut City and other stores going belly up and did check it on snopes and it was partly true.

Click the web link at the top of the post.

Fog

16. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I had this exact same type of issue with Circuit City. We took the item back within the time frame a they charged us the 15% restocking fee.

My wife contacted the corporate office they ended up sending us a $45.00 gift card. This must be their standard policy to help smooth out issues.

We ended up spending the $45.00 towards virus protection for the computer and never been back to Circuit City since then. It looks like I'll also be staying away from Best Buy.

Dale

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

There used to be a web site devoted to how bad Best Buy treated their customers and employees. You can do a Google on Best Buy Sux (sucks). The original site was bestbuysux.org, but Best Buy took over the site as a online store.
    The above is a snippet of what is on the web about how alot of people is treated and I refuse to shop there. My kids got BB gift cards for their birthdays, I told them all they were going to buy was a video game or music. I wasn't going to deal with their spew of their warranty and magazine subscriptions.

JMHO...Jerbear

18. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Thanks for the warning. Will circulate.

19. psfive

psfive Member

I get a lot of the same treatment at Menards. If you take anything back you get store credit. If you paid with a personal check it takes ten days. Paul

20. plabels466

plabels466 Member

I went there several years ago to buy all new appliances...I asked to speak to the manager...I asked him if their policy at Christmas was to wish their customers Happy Holidays, or Merry Christmas...He replied Happy Holidays...I then sold him he lost a $10,000.00 sale & never went back.......Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.