1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

This just past Saturday I heard a siren or two racing down the road in front of my house. Then a few minutes later I heard the distinctive thump-thump-thump of a helicopter. I was in the basement at the time but the helicopter sound pulled me to look outside.

Across the field, maybe three hundred yards away were several flashing lights, fire trucks, a bunch of cars and trucks, an ambulance and maybe fifty people. Then the chopper set down just the other side of a tree line behind the field.

I went out and saw a number of people looking at the scene. I asked one woman what was going on. She told me that my, directly across the road, neighbor's grandson came out of the woods yelling for help. He had tried at the nearest house but there was nobody home. She was the first person the grandson saw. He told her that he had just shot his grandfather. She immediately called 911.

I knew some of the people responding because my daughter serves as an EMT and Fireman at one of the responding VFDs and has worked at another one of the VFDs social club. Because of my 20 year plus time as a hunter safety instructor I also knew the WCO in whose district the shooting took place.

My daughter, the EMT, is going to college in Erie (about 40 miles away), and working part time at Hamot hospital in the ICU. One of her friends from the VFD called her when he heard the scanner call, heard the area was near our house and he knew that I go hunting out the back yard often times. Her first thought was that maybe it was me that got shot. As soon as I called her she was relieved. She was just getting off work and I told her that the chopper had airlifted him a few minutes earlier. While we were on the phone, she saw the chopper coming in for a landing at the hospital. She had just gotten off work.

I found out that the juvenile shot his grandfather in the back, according to one of the firemen, in the lower back, but there were no vital organs apparently hit but there was a good deal of injury. The juvenile was using a 20 ga. shotgun. I do not know at what range the shooting took place.

The victim's family has not been home since the shooting so I am assuming they are at the hospital where the Grandfather is a patient. He is listed in serious condition.

He is a county prison guard and was a past Assistant Chief of one of the VFDs responding. He kept conscious and began some self-treatment that is, in addition to his not panicking, credited with possibly saving his life. He was still conscious, alert and responsive when the EMTs got to him in the woods and remained so while they were carrying him to the helicopter.

According to the newspaper report, the juvenile was taking the gun down from his shoulder when it fired. In all our HS classes, all of the Instructors emphasize keeping the muzzle in a safe direction, keeping your finger off the trigger until you are actually ready to shoot and the other Shooting Safety commandments. Obviously the boy did not follow at least the first two mentioned.

So PLEASE BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL OUT THERE. WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND WATCH WHAT YOUR COMPANIONS ARE DOING!

I was going to go hunting in the exact area where the accident happened (it has a lot of nice size hickory trees and a lot of Fox squirrels, but I just had a small project I had to finish in the basement. Probably another thirty minutes and I would have been right in the area.

At one time there was a maillist group of Hunter Safety Instructors but that group has since faded away. If anyone here on TS is aware if the group has just moved to a new server or if it is gone for good, could you please let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.