1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BBQing Prime rib

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Coyote 270, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Going to try BBQing a 18.8 lb prime Rib Sunday, any special instructions or advice that anyone has would be appreciated as this is the first try at this.
    By the way, this is shooting related because we will be shooting clay targets off the hillside while it is cooking..........

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Prime Rib .........

I put it in my smoker!

Whatever method you use ... let it stand for about 1/2 hour before cutting it! That way the juices will have a chance to settle down, and not all run out!

3. Ducky

Ducky Member

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use a meat thermometer. Used indiect heat. Put some sort of rub on him. Have fun...

Scott

4. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

There was a fellow in Wy that cooked them once a year at a club I belonged to...he used a dry rub and cooked/smoked over apple wood, we served about 80 people and only furnished plastic table ware...you could cut it with the plastic knife. Ribs are removed first...WC

5. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

One of my favorites is a light dusting of Lawry's seasoning salt and cook it over a rock salt bed. (how they do it in their restaurants.) If you are using indirect heat, watch the temp to make sure it doesn't get too hot. For a long, slow cook I prefer around 250 and for certain check with a meat thermometer. Definitely let it rest for around 30 minutes or so, it will slice much better. I prefer to cook ribs on the bottom, but some prefer ribs on top as they say it gives a richer flavor. HJH

6. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

I appreciate all the advice.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Meat in the center over a drip pan below. We like garlic under the fat flap at the top - salt and pepper. Brickets and any wood outside the left and right sides of the drip pan and feed the heat as necessary to keep the temp up. I usually get along adding fuel every 45 minutes. Use the thermometer when it starts looking right. Good supply of Amador Zinfandel or bold Cabernet to tempt the pallet. I do this in a standard Weber Kettle with beef or turkey, never tried a ham yet......Bob Dodd

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Rub with Kosher salt and course ground pepper. Place on appropriate size cooking sheet. Put it on the middle of the grill with the charcoal around the sides. Keep the heat low 250 degrees for around two and a half hours or maybe longer at that size.
    The salt will not absorb into the meat. It actually forms a crust and maintains the moisture. Use a meat thermometer. Once the meat is within 10 degrees of your desired center temp., med. rare, medium, etc., pull it out and let stand for at least 15 mins. covered in aluminum foil. This allows for additional cooking and absortion of the juices. Slice it up and enjoy. Damn! Now I have to go out and get one, my mouth is watering. Good Luck! Jon

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Cook it low and slow. 220 till it turns 135-140 on the meat thermo. Indirect at likely about 3hours. Take it out of the fridge and let it warm to as close to room temp as you can. It will be pink all the way thru.

10. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Hi:

If you are cooking 18.8 pounds of meat, its going to take a long, long time; probably way more than three hours.

All other advise is great; enjoy dinner.

Good shooting, drinking and eating,

Dave

11. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Again, thank you for all the suggestions, they will come in handy.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My advice is that you might get a lot more play if you put your thread in the correct section of the site.

13. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Hey Barry, read my first post and by the way congrads on all your registered targets.

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

There is a lot of Choice Grade rib roast being served as "Prime Rib" these days. It ain't.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Make a big hardwood fire add stones to the coals, place stones and coals in a pre dug hole in the ground, cover roast in rock salt, then a layer of wet clay.

Cover with hot rocks and dirt, dig it up after several hours, let rest, crack and slice.

Never tried it, but don't it sound good?

16. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

From Page 135 of USDA labeling policy book.

"PRIME RIB OF BEEF OR STANDING BEEF RIB ROAST FOR PRIME RIB:
    These products do not have to be derived from USDA prime grade beef."

Prime Rib is the name of the roast cut regardless of its actual grade. Granted, there is a dramatic difference in taste and tenderness of prime rib made from prime grade beef vs choice grade.

James

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Google or Yahoo Bar B Que University. That guys knows his stuff. He has a great TV show too. Good luck.

18. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

No matter what you put on it, make sure you take it out of the fridge at least an hour or more to allow the meat to get warm. Cooking it cold in spots will not cook evenly.
    Never cook prime ribs on open fire but always from the coals. ENJOY

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have good results barrel smoking these roasts with a low salt dry rub. The heavy salt might work out okay in a roasting set up but in a barrel smoker the salt pulls too much moisture out of the meat.

The reason I like the barrel smoker so much is that it is nearly error proof and requires next to no attention. The finished product always draws raves but as mentioned above, be really careful not to over cook. You can't judge the doneness of barrel smoked meat by looking at the outside as it always looks red .... use a thermometer.

20. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

An excellent meal was had by all, thanks for all the advice and the main thing we learned, when BBQing, was when it is getting close to temp, turn the dam thing off.............But it was still great and not a piece left over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.