1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BBGun practice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I was encouraged to buy a BB Gun by a poster here, with whom I had a conversation about a shotgun for sale. What the heck is another $40 for a Daisy Red Rider for someone in this deep already? It was actually a kit with BBs, glasses, gun case, and some targets.

I then did some research and found the Leon Measures site, so now I'm another $70 down, shipment on the way!

In my excitement, I hooked a string to my garage ceiling, tied an old cowbell to it, and put some blankets behind it for backstop. I then swung the bell, producing more skeet- than trap-like targets (only 3 feet off the floor, tho), and attempted to shot the bell as it passed the backstop.

Guess what? I can see the BB hit the backstop just behind the bell on almost every shot. No surprises there, huh?

I'll report back later. But I have a fundamental question regarding forward allowance. I have been attempting to look down the rib of the shotgun. When I concentrate hard on the target, I tend, I believe, to miss low and behind, mostly behind. For pull away method, does your dominate eye pull ahead of the target for focus, or does the eye stay locked on target and the gun pulls away?

For those who have never thought about this, and now must, I apologize.

Danny

2. teleskier

teleskier Member

Dan
    Not sure what you are asking with regards to pull away method. Your gun should shoot where you are looking. You should always see your bead clearly but "somewhat" fuzzy staying focused just ahead of the barrel. As soon as you focus "hard" on the target you are going to lose your bead/bird relationship and more than likely be behind your target. Is that what you were wanting to know? Mike

3. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

I'm not so sure any two shooters do/see it the same way, or, at least they don't describe it the same. What I think I do and see, when I'm shooting well, is to see the target, then see the lead and hit the trigger. I try not to be ever aware of the rib or bead. The gun should shoot where you are looking.

That may be a bit tricky with A red Rider that fits a 7 year old. - :LOL

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Danny,

You cheek the stock and look at the target, no aiming.
    Just like you should do with your shotgun. Look at the leading edge and the top of a aerial target. You look under a ground target, forget the sight or take it off.

Back in the sixties, there was a fellow named Lucky McDaniel that taught a method of shooting , he called instinctive shooting. He started you with a BB gun, then progressed to a .22 and then to a shotgun.

I believe the gentlemen you referred to has repackaged Lucky's method of shooting.

I learned to shoot aerial targets from his book.
    I still have the book and drag out the BB gun from time to time and whack a few hand thrown tin cans.

The US Army during the Vietnam war, adapted his method and called it "Quick Kill".

We had a thread going on here about Lucky McDaniel several years ago, and his book can still be found on the internet from time to time.

Its a good way to introduce new shooters to shooting without the noise and recoil of firearms.

worked for me.

ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

instinctive shooting bb gun