1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery Operated Front Bead, or Bright Bead??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chris, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris TS Member

Hello!

I am looking for a bright front colored bead. I have a Hi-ViZ Competition bead but when you are shooting from the back fence where there are no lights, it isn't very bright.

I would also entertain a battery operated front bead if there is such a thing.

Many thanks for the smart alecs not responding saying that I should not be using a bead....... It works for me. It may not be your cup of tea but I like a bright GREEN BEAD!

Maybe there will be such a thing at SPARTA!

Thank you!

Chris

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    At one time Uni-Dot made a tactical fiberoptic sight that was simply a Uni-Dot with an extension to insert a small glow stick.<br>
    <br>
    Unfortunately, it appears these went the way of the Dodo when Lyman bought Uni-Dot out.<br>
    <br>
    If you can find a source for small glow sticks, perhaps you could simply tape one to your rib with black electrical tape.

3. Barry

Barry Member

There are many micro sized illuminated pins for use in bow sites that could probably be adapted to what you want. Look in Cabelas archery catalog.

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"Congratulations. You have just purchased the most significant development in shotgun sights in over 40 years. The Redeye Sight is the first electronic shotgun pointing system specifically designed for use under a variety of light conditions and background colors.

The Redeye Sight consists of several components: a blued steel sight body that is step bored to accept the LED illuminator, and a three volt lithium battery. The adhesive furnished with your Redeye Sight is 3M Company's VHB (Very High Bond) transfer adhesive....If installed according to directions, the adhesive will be trouble-free in almost all applications.

The Redeye Sight is furnished with three different colored illuminators, two batteries, and three extra adhesive strips....The ultra high-output red is best for bright daylight. Green is less intrusive in low light and shadow. Yellow is preferred for night shooting under lights. Background colors may also affect your choice. To change an illuminator, remove the end screw and the battery. Use the point of the battery to gently press the illuminator out of the body. Be careful not to stretch the spring. Select the appropriate color and insert the illuminator, battery, and replace the screw."

The unit uses a BR-425 computer battery (http://cgi.ebay.com/BR425-3V-25mAHLithium-Cylindrical-Computer-Battery_W0QQitemZ7515285375QQihZ017QQcategoryZ92078QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem). The patent number is 5,058,900. The company's been out of business for at least 10 years, but I still have several with the different color LED's and working batteries, minus the mounting tape.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I am a believer in lighted front sights, especially for people like myself who, when I had enough vision to shoot, are very farsighted. Trying to shoot accurately and create a sight-picture when the muzzle was a big blurry, doesn't work very well.

In my case, a fiber-optic sight did the job but I did little shooting at night and rarely from a way-back position.

When I first began using the sight, I had little trouble staying focused on targets, unlike some that have tried similar sights. I would think that all that would be required to end glancing back at the sight during swings would be some concentration and practice. They provide an precise point to use in creating sight pictures and replaced the blurry barrel-blob for those who are farsighted.

I can see the benefit of a lighted front sight although I must admit, visions of my car battery swinging from a string to power it gave me cause for concern when I first began reading MTA Tom's thread. A lithium battery would, of course, be preferable. (Imagine the time required to dis- and reconnect a car battery every time you shoot to say nothing of the delay when dragging the battery to the next station, especially from 5 to 1. And what if the string were to break? Would it be deemed as a 'failure to shoot'?)

Rollin

6. Chris

Chris TS Member

Thank you!

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.