1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery Lead For Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nipper, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipper

nipper TS Member

I have probably visited 15 tire shops and have had good luck getting wheel weights some free,some a small fee but i would say 5 of the 15 shops are contracted to battery companies who are buying them. So would battery lead be the same as wheel weights?? or are the battery companies just on the lead band wagon reselling for a profit?? id say the latter. one guy quoted me that he was getting 80.00 for each 5 gallon bucket.

Bill

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They would have to be stupid to pay 80 dollars for a five gallon bucket. He is stroking you. As for battery lead I have 3 words. Don't do it! Jeff

3. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Unless you are in the business of recycling battery lead, stay away from it. If you do not have the proper equipment and facilities to dispose of the acid the EPA will be checking you out. It is a whole new ball game. Sulfuric acid is bad news for your exposure and for disposal. Don't even think about it. The fines for unauthorized or incorrect disposal could cost you your house. I have been in environmental science for about 30 years.

Good luck,

Mike

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's a good way to lose your life.
    When I was young, in the part of town that had people with very low incomes a man was salvaging batteries for the lead.

The separator plates in those days were made of wood. When he got a pile of those wood plates he burned them in the stove in his house. He, his wife, and 3 children all died from the vapors released while they slept.

HM

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Battery lead is both dangerous and very soft. Too soft to make good shot. If you use battery lead for making shot, both your scores and your life expectancy will go down.

Pat Ireland

6. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i tryed the old battery cabel ends(added about 20 to a 60 lb batch) once to mix with my wheel weights,ended up ruining the batch of lead, and had to take out my drippers and clean them,the corrosion-acid residue is not good to mix in,mark

7. ATF Agent

ATF Agent TS Member

Trappermike,

I attended a Hazardous Waste Manifesting seminar hosted by the EPA (admittedly, about 15 years ago). As I recall, treating an acid hazardous waste stream is relatively easy. Neutralize the acid with a base and test the PH to verify. Are you referring to heavy metal particles (lead) that may be suspended in the electrolyte?

I don't know anything about battery recycling, but the thought had crossed my mind.

Thanks,

ATF

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ironically, there is a lot of shot lead in batteries! Several local shooting ranges have had their lead mined and it was trucked to the Exide battery plant near Reading, Pennsylvania.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.