1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery charging question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a International roll back truck I haul my daughters pulling truck on.. I havent used it this winter, I got in it yesterday and the batteries were dead as a hammer.. It has 2 big batteries in it, wired together, when I put my charger on one of them..will it also charge the other one? thanks!

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Depends ! If they arent ruined by leaving them discharged all winter---AND--you are using them wired parallel (12 Volt starter) they should be able to be charged up and good to go. If the batteries are wired in series, (24 volt starter) you will have to charge them separately unless you have a 24 volt charger.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Charge one at a time, if you don't the weakest cell will regulate the the charge of the other good cells.Watch your water levels, make sure you don't boil them out at to high of a charge rate.

Patience, is a virtue in battery maintenance

Lived with batteries for years on an old diesel sub.

Phil Berkowitz

4. ouch

ouch Member

What kind of truck does your daughter pull?

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

check and make sure that the batteries did not freeze and warp the plates. Hard to tell from the outside. I would use a fast charger about 40 to 50 amps for about an hour and then reduce the charge rate. Bring the batteries inside for a time and let them thaw out before charging. Make sure they are fully thawed all the way to the center. Also try a hydrometer to see if you get any reading of the state of charge in the electrolyte. Might also put a volt meter on the battery while charging. Once you have some type of a charge in them check for a drain on the battery. You can use a volt meter or milliamp meter motordoc

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

OUCH, its a 76 or 78 chevy 2wd.. we had a really big and hot 454 in it for a couple of years until she scattered it last year, I put a 355 in it out of a dirt car for the time being.. the cost of buliling the a BB was around 10 grand.. its a lot of fun but we are only racing for a ribbon here...lol.. thanks!
    [​IMG]

7. ouch

ouch Member

Looks good, I worked for a farmer many years ago that pulled tractors. It was alot of fun to go to the different county fairs. Richard

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Disconnect the bateries from each other ane the engine. Loosen the cell caps if you cna and charge each battery alone.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Protect your face. Charging batteries can be dangerous and they can explode if the charging area isn't well ventilated. Before you start charging the batteries, clean the tops off very well.

I'm an old Western Auto man. Charged thousands of them. Be careful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.